Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Never thought he was going to be good so nothing's changed and can't be too angry.  The most I expected was 5 headed goals and a threat from set-plays crosses and since we seem to only have Shelvey and Trippier capable of taking a set play or crossing I feel like I can't even judge him on the one thing I felt he'd bring to the table.

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

Never thought he was going to be good so nothing's changed and can't be too angry.  The most I expected was 5 headed goals and a threat from set-plays crosses and since we seem to only have Shelvey and Trippier capable of taking a set play or crossing I feel like I can't even judge him on the one thing I felt he'd bring to the table.

we put some great crosses in today from corners. He is just shit, stop making excuses.

51 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

:serious:

I genuinely cannot believe how bad this guy's general play is man. My goodness.

Perhaps from a pressing and defensive point of view he is more adept than Gayle, but anything to do with actually going forward he is miles off. He's really shocking.

Not even mad at the guy because it's not his fault he was brought here, but my word is he poor.

6 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Some brilliant revisionism of Dwight Gayle in here like.

Gayle lost a big chunk of his pace after his muscle injuries in early 2017. He's now 5 years older and has proven throughout his career he's not a PL level goalscorer. 

Wood is incredibly poor and if he's near any PL matchday squads next season then something will have gone very wrong in the summer. Stay up, sell him. And sell Gayle too.

10 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

we put some great crosses in today from corners. He is just shit, stop making excuses.

Basically said as much in my post like. Wilson's not scoring many from these great crosses either imho

I can understand the argument that he's good at holding the play so others can join in but he's not a finisher and he massively lacks the ability to put the ball either side of the keeper with power or precision, I would potentially try Willock up front against Spurs

My expectations of him weren't particularly high when we signed him but my god he's came nowhere even close to them! I honestly don't know what he brings to the party. He's slow, his finiahing is poor and for all people go on about his hold up play all I see is the ball bouncing off his straight back to the opposition. Yes he wins headers, you'd expect him to at 6'3" but there's more than that to Premier League football these days. Basically a poor mans Billy Whitehurst and in hindsight we'd have been better off keeping that £25m towards the summer budget and just playing Gayle.

Still, we signed 5 players in January and he's been the only disappointment so that's a good strike rate from Howe.

42 minutes ago, Wallsendmag said:

My expectations of him weren't particularly high when we signed him but my god he's came nowhere even close to them! I honestly don't know what he brings to the party. He's slow, his finiahing is poor and for all people go on about his hold up play all I see is the ball bouncing off his straight back to the opposition. Yes he wins headers, you'd expect him to at 6'3" but there's more than that to Premier League football these days. Basically a poor mans Billy Whitehurst and in hindsight we'd have been better off keeping that £25m towards the summer budget and just playing Gayle.

Still, we signed 5 players in January and he's been the only disappointment so that's a good strike rate from Howe.

No we wouldn't have been better off just playing Gayle at all complete nonsense we wouldn't have got the wins we have with Gayle in there over Wood.

15 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I thought his positioning was quite poor last night and he definitely lost as much as he won in the air. That said, the service to him was pretty poor.

It’s because his movement is shocking. He won’t get good service until he works out how to move.