Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

I don't get why some people on this forum get so worked up about him (especially after a game in which our defence completely collapsed). We all knew we weren't getting a top striker in January, we were having bids turned down left right and centre and Wood was an easy transfer due to the release clause. Our form improved with him in the team (how much is down to him you can debate all you want), we are now likely to stay up and he will be replaced/become our 3rd or 4th choice striker next season. Nobody is arguing he's class or should lead the line next year.

Are some watching a different player, he is beaten most times in the air, he doesn't hold the ball up at all and he just doesn't get into the positions to score (the odd time he does he fucks it up). 25 fucking million dear me. Needs to be dropped for the next game

Callum Wilson cost us £20m. This guy cost us £25m to activate his release clause. They are both the same age but the difference between the two is universes and galaxies apart, I am not exactly sure what his key core strength is as I have not seen him excellent at any single quality so far during his time here.

He's had little positives including the one goal but I am pretty certain for £25m there must have been a better option available somewhere. He was bought by who his agency/management are and the number of goals he somehow ended the season with the last few seasons, its a gamble that has had very minor return investment that if we weren't in the dire position we were back when we signed him you'd flat out call him a total flop.

Edited by Amir_9

Way I see it, luckily not alone by a long chalk, is we had to get a forward and his release clause negated getting messed around all month ala Botman, Carlos, Lingard and fetch up with nothing and get certainly relegated, even if in the end we got someone, we'd have gone vital games with no forward.

People say Weghorst but it would make sense that pretty much any club would dick us around to get more money in Jan.

He's not good enough but I can live with the decision.

12 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Or he’s just poor because he’s a dinosaur of a striker. His limited skill set will only ever look half decent in a restive, cynical and direct setup. I’m not sure why proponents of playing modern football on here and elsewhere have given him a free pass for so long. 

It wasn't about giving him a pass, it was about accepting the situation for what it was - a means to an end. 

We needed someone that was proven to score goals in this league. If you draw up a list of eligible candidates for the role they tended to fall down for at least one of three reasons; they weren't for sale, they didn't want to join a team in the relegation zone, or their club knew they had no need to sell and would leverage that in negotiations (Lille and Sevilla did exactly that).

Whether you love or hate Chris Wood he's managed at least double figures in the league for the last five years. He can consider himself proven at Premier League level. Even then, we were only able to sign him because of a release clause, and so the club assumed if we gave him chances he'd do a solid job of converting while offering us some kind of nuisance presence up top. 

Now, where I agree with you is that Wood does rely heavily on a very specific style that we just don't play. He thrives on crosses and loose balls in the box, and I also believe he's at his best when working with a strike partner that creates space for him.

If we'd missed out on an obviously better candidate I could understand the frustration. Even Wout Weghorst - the man painted as an infinitely better deal - has managed the same goal return playing in a side that is actually set up toward him.  

He's caught the Joelinton bug, seems terrified of getting it scoring position or doing something useful in the box, there was a change in the second half where we had the ball on the right wing and all he had to do was run into the empty space in front of him in order to be in a great position to score and he just to stay back, we really really need him to step up in the next few games, or else i don't mind seeing Gayle or even one of the reserve strikers get a shot.

15 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He's caught the Joelinton bug, seems terrified of getting it scoring position or doing something useful in the box, there was a change in the second half where we had the ball on the right wing and all he had to do was run into the empty space in front of him in order to be in a great position to score and he just to stay back, we really really need him to step up in the next few games, or else i don't mind seeing Gayle or even one of the reserve strikers get a shot.

I must admit I don't know if we create a ton of chances for strikers in this system either. Wilson's record at Bournemouth was very mediocre bar one season and we see how good he is with us. 

12 minutes ago, Thiago said:

I must admit I don't know if we create a ton of chances for strikers in this system either. Wilson's record at Bournemouth was very mediocre bar one season and we see how good he is with us. 

Willson was slightly better than a 1 in 3 striker at Bournemouth. His record is slightly better than that here.

3 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Willson was slightly better than a 1 in 3 striker at Bournemouth. His record is slightly better than that here.

6 in 20, 8 in 28, and 8 in 35. 

I'd say that's closer to 1 in 4 than 1 in 2. His record here is hard to validate given the injury. 

12 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

Only one solution.

Stick him in midfield.

He needs wingers to get the ball into the box in the air, we don't play like that.  It's like putting a car into a swimming pool and complaining that it can't swim 

The only issue with that is that we’ve seen he’s actually not amazing in the air apart from winning headers to nowhere. I agree we don’t play to his strengths but his strengths are also very limited

3 minutes ago, 1964 said:

He needs wingers to get the ball into the box in the air, we don't play like that.  It's like putting a car into a swimming pool and complaining that it can't swim 

That's not accurate at all. If he had any aerial threat about him at all, he'd have bagged 4-5 goals by now. He offers nothing from set pieces and every time he gets a headed chance he cushions it back to the opposition keeper. There is literally nothing about his game that is Premier League

7 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

Swap him out with Joelinton, at least he can hold the ball up and bring others into play. Bruno/Shelvey/Willock in midfield.

I was actually thinking maybe for the Wolves game just stick Joelinton up there for a game and play Bruno with Shelvey & Willock. Maybe freshens it up for Joelinton too. He’d be able to press probably just as well, can’t be any less of a goal threat and get Willock further alongside him to feed off him?

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I was actually thinking maybe for the Wolves game just stick Joelinton up there for a game and play Bruno with Shelvey & Willock. He’d be able to press probably just as well, can’t be any less of a goal threat and get Willock further alongside him to feed off him?

I wouldn’t want to move Joelinton out of midfield as he’s been a revelation and we know how he crumbles in front of goal but this would be a solution to getting Bruno into the game. Personally I’d consider this but prefer to just drop Shelvey and bring in Bruno for Wolves. We’re sadly

lumbered with Wood up front until the end of the season