Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

3 hours ago, astraguy said:

Since joining #nufc Chris Wood has Most headed duels won. 2nd in tackles made in the opposition half. 11th in pressures applied in oppositions half. Most distance covered by a striker. Also he is only averaging 1.3 chances per game. Its unfair to judge him on goals scored 

I've been biting my tongue a while on Chris. Here goes, /tinhat.

This is why stats without context are dangerous. If you'd watched any of the games he's played since he's joined, you'd not be making that conclusion. At least 90% of those 'headers won' are not directed at anyone other than the oppositions midfield or centre backs. I've never seen a player as tall as him be so weak on the ball physically, or be unable to direct headers to teammates. Whoever told him that he should be trying to win those headers and flick it on to absolutely no-one? I doubt Howe is that stupid, I think he must be trying to win those headers but just doesn't have the strength or aggression to battle with the opponent to get in position to head it back towards a teammate. He's shown maybe twice in all the games since he's joined that he was capable of receiving the ball, holding it up and laying it off or passing it on to a teammate. One of those times we scored.

Only knowing his goal-scoring record before he joined, I was happy when we signed him as we had no strikers at all (other than Gayle). Now all I'm happy about is that he gives us 11 people on  the pitch, and takes a defender with him wherever he goes to allow other players more space. Sorry Chris but in this team if you're not good enough off-the-ball you aren't going to get chances, you need to make your own luck in this side. You also need to show a hell of a lot more determination and fight, the shots of you on camera after you f something up or miss a chance look like you don't even want to be on the pitch and you seem really self conscious. Comparing your demeanor to the swagger that Wilson had on day 1 is night and day. One of you is a confident striker who believes he's going to score every time he gets the ball, the other looks think they don't believe they're up to it here. 

I know that video of the players cheering him when he went in at half time after scoring at Southampton was supposed to make us a all squee and blush and ‘this club’ ourselves to death, but is it only me that felt a bit embarrassed for the lad? Just felt a wee bit patronising.

1 hour ago, HawK said:

I've been biting my tongue a while on Chris. Here goes, /tinhat.

This is why stats without context are dangerous. If you'd watched any of the games he's played since he's joined, you'd not be making that conclusion. At least 90% of those 'headers won' are not directed at anyone other than the oppositions midfield or centre backs. I've never seen a player as tall as him be so weak on the ball physically, or be unable to direct headers to teammates. Whoever told him that he should be trying to win those headers and flick it on to absolutely no-one? I doubt Howe is that stupid, I think he must be trying to win those headers but just doesn't have the strength or aggression to battle with the opponent to get in position to head it back towards a teammate. He's shown maybe twice in all the games since he's joined that he was capable of receiving the ball, holding it up and laying it off or passing it on to a teammate. One of those times we scored.

Only knowing his goal-scoring record before he joined, I was happy when we signed him as we had no strikers at all (other than Gayle). Now all I'm happy about is that he gives us 11 people on  the pitch, and takes a defender with him wherever he goes to allow other players more space. Sorry Chris but in this team if you're not good enough off-the-ball you aren't going to get chances, you need to make your own luck in this side. You also need to show a hell of a lot more determination and fight, the shots of you on camera after you f something up or miss a chance look like you don't even want to be on the pitch and you seem really self conscious. Comparing your demeanor to the swagger that Wilson had on day 1 is night and day. One of you is a confident striker who believes he's going to score every time he gets the ball, the other looks think they don't believe they're up to it here. 

Wow, I can see why you were biting your tongue, you don't hold back when unload do you?  :lol:

But yes, I've mentioned a few times about those headers going nowhere, and I agree, he's not that great in the air for a man his size. He does press the defenders well though.

18 minutes ago, TRon said:

Wow, I can see why you were biting your tongue, you don't hold back when unload do you?  :lol:

But yes, I've mentioned a few times about those headers going nowhere, and I agree, he's not that great in the air for a man his size. He does press the defenders well though.

Mate I must come across as a walking ball of barely-contained, seething rage :lol:

8 hours ago, astraguy said:

Since joining #nufc Chris Wood has Most headed duels won. 2nd in tackles made in the opposition half. 11th in pressures applied in oppositions half. Most distance covered by a striker. Also he is only averaging 1.3 chances per game. Its unfair to judge him on goals scored 

The state of those ‘stats’ :lol:

Radically different price tag, but he reminds me of Kevin Gallacher being Bobby Robson's first signing. I seem to recall Robson saying he was one of his best signings, despite being barely remembered and hardly scoring. Wood has served a purpose. I don't think it's worth getting too passionate about the pros and cons of signing him.

I will say, of the games I've seen, Everton was the first where his attacking performance directly let down an otherwise winning team. Not so much his finishing, but the lack of movement and unpredictability.

Will be interesting to see what Howe tries when Wilson gets back. Partnership?

To state the obvious, Wood ought to be preferably 4th choice next year. I expect he'll still be here, and will put in a respectable shift when called upon, as well as being a good training partner for the squad, which shouldn't be ignored as a quality.

I just don't see the debate with Wood. We signed exactly what we all knew we had signed, a bottom half PL striker who will put himself about physically.

He was never a long term choice and if we stay up he will have done his job. The 25m fee is neither here nor there if we stay up.

One thing that has surprised me is his pressing, he actually presses defenders at a higher tempo that I thought he could. He's also smart in how he presses, blocking passing routes and generally making life difficult for sides to play out from the back.

The idea of playing Gayle or ASM up front for the last 10 games doesn't bare thinking about. The transfer was desperate, but it worked.

2 hours ago, STM said:

I just don't see the debate with Wood. We signed exactly what we all knew we had signed, a bottom half PL striker who will put himself about physically.

He was never a long term choice and if we stay up he will have done his job. The 25m fee is neither here nor there if we stay up.

One thing that has surprised me is his pressing, he actually presses defenders at a higher tempo that I thought he could. He's also smart in how he presses, blocking passing routes and generally making life difficult for sides to play out from the back.

The idea of playing Gayle or ASM up front for the last 10 games doesn't bare thinking about. The transfer was desperate, but it worked.

:clap:

16 hours ago, astraguy said:

Here's a question for ya..take out Wilson's goals (mainly pens I believe ?) Do you think he could do what wood is for us? Be interesting to see if they play together

Let’s hope we never have to see that.

Winning aimless headers and throwing himself around a bit off the ball is all well and good, and I appreciate he’s doing his best. For me, a striker should score / create goals and stretch defences. Or ideally 1 of the 3. 

4 hours ago, 80 said:

Radically different price tag, but he reminds me of Kevin Gallacher being Bobby Robson's first signing. I seem to recall Robson saying he was one of his best signings, despite being barely remembered and hardly scoring. Wood has served a purpose. I don't think it's worth getting too passionate about the pros and cons of signing him.

I will say, of the games I've seen, Everton was the first where his attacking performance directly let down an otherwise winning team. Not so much his finishing, but the lack of movement and unpredictability.

To state the obvious, Wood ought to be preferably 4th choice next year. I expect he'll still be here, and will put in a respectable shift when called upon, as well as being a good training partner for the squad, which shouldn't be ignored as a quality.

4 hours ago, 80 said:

Kevin Gallagher was a pretty good player in his prime though, part of a Premier League/English League/First Division winning side. He was a damn fine player at the top level at the time. Wood is nowhere near that quality so the comparison is fairly shit.

5 hours ago, TRon said:

Kevin Gallagher was a pretty good player in his prime though, part of a Premier League/English League/First Division winning side. He was a damn fine player at the top level at the time. Wood is nowhere near that quality so the comparison is fairly shit.

He was handy in his prime, but so was Peter Beardsley and there was no argument for bringing him in from Hartlepool in 1999. You have to deal with the here and now.

Gallacher was alright, but extremely meh as a signing. Worked hard, filled a gap, provided an ethos. Retired 54 appearances after signing for us, having played for 4 different clubs and scored a total of 5 goals in that time. Tells it's own story. 'A damn fine player at the top level at the time' - are you sure?

10 hours ago, 80 said:

He was handy in his prime, but so was Peter Beardsley and there was no argument for bringing him in from Hartlepool in 1999. You have to deal with the here and now.

Gallacher was alright, but extremely meh as a signing. Worked hard, filled a gap, provided an ethos. Retired 54 appearances after signing for us, having played for 4 different clubs and scored a total of 5 goals in that time. Tells it's own story. 'A damn fine player at the top level at the time' - are you sure?

I meant in his prime which is when he played for Blackburn wasn't it? He was past his best when he came to us, but if Robson liked him, I'd go with his opinion tbh. SBR usually preferred footballers over carthorses.

1 hour ago, prefabtoon said:

Chris Wood needs to wear the New Zealand gear under his mag shirt, He is now on 32 goals for New Zealand, three clear of the next highest in the national team’s history.

I'm surprised Zew Nealand have scored  32 goals in total

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Ben said:

I'm surprised Zew Nealand have scored  32 goals in total

Really?

They do play against a lot of Oceania teams like Fiji etc.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The lad has had a mad schedule like:

21/03 - 75 minutes v Fiji 

24/03 - 19 minutes v New Caledonia 

27/03 - 90 minutes v Tahiti 

30/03 - presumably another 90 minutes v Solomon Islands 

Reads like a where to go of honeymoon destinations...

Time to stop being kind, were struggling up top, mainly because this guy is a steaming pile of shit.

Fuck all movement, makes no good runs, none existent, weak, doesn't jump, basically an expensive spectator. 

Edited by mighty__mag