Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

This is actually a very impressive collection of goals. 

Surprised at how much he gets in behind and how quick he looks in these. Think this guy is going to make a big difference for us.

I know he's a big guy, but is he actually a target man type? Seems to look to get in behind more than coming short and holding up the ball. Seems to me that Barnes was more of the guy that played the target man role.

I think it's his two-footedness which impresses me most. He referred to it in that FIFA interview video someone posted a few pages back. Admittedly we're only watching his highlight reel here, and Shola looked like a world beater in his. (I am in no way suggesting he's of Shola's low standard! :lol:

47 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Not having to live in Burnley.

If anyone ever watched Ideal, there's a great comment from Johnny Vegas on Burnley.

"Burnley? What are you doing in Burnley? Hope you've had your jabs"

2 hours ago, HawK said:

He doesn't do tap-ins, does he? :lol: Wow he can strike a ball, not seen confidence in finishing like that in a long time. I won't make the comparison but you probably know who I'm thinking of.

The quality of the headers is what stood out for me. Love how he directs them into the places the goalie has no chance of reaching. 

I have always thought Wood have looked quite good against us.

Or as good a striker can look playing for Burnley. 

Absolutt unit and a decent finisher.

I know many of you are sceptical, but i actually look forward to see him lead the line for us and be on the end of some of our crosses.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

This is actually a very impressive collection of goals. 

Surprised at how much he gets in behind and how quick he looks in these. Think this guy is going to make a big difference for us.

I know he's a big guy, but is he actually a target man type? Seems to look to get in behind more than coming short and holding up the ball. Seems to me that Barnes was more of the guy that played the target man role.

This.

I'll be honest, I knew (and I guess still know) very little about him. My falling out of love with football over the past decade meant all I really knew was that he was a Burnley forward, cheap when they bought him and not too young. So my gut reaction was "What the fuck are we buying him for?".

However looking into his record and the clips of his goals, he seems quite an astute buy - if it goes ahead.

Getting double digits 4 years in a row for a shithouse team like Burnley - how many would he get for City? And what would his transfer value be then? He also looks quick for a big man, strong, great in the air and can put his foot through a football. Overall I like what I see and read about him. In short he's definitely PL quality and if we create chances he'll get goals.

Clearly at 30 and with Wilson also still on our books he's not a long-term signing but he'll do a job for the next couple of seasons at least and could be massively important to us. If he scores enough to keep us up, he could be one of the greatest signings ever and could really write a name for himself into our history much like David Kelly did.

6 minutes ago, NEEJ said:

I think it's his two-footedness which impresses me most. He referred to it in that FIFA interview video someone posted a few pages back. Admittedly we're only watching his highlight reel here, and Shola looked like a world beater in his. (I am in no way suggesting he's of Shola's low standard! :lol:

I love the conviction in his finishing. Makes a decision on how to take the chance very quickly and strikes the ball really well. No dilly dallying whatsoever.

Not gonna lie I watched that Shola compilation that was posted the other day, and even on his goal highlights I cringed and still thought he was going to miss those chances. Still looked really clumsy and unconvincing, so with all due respect I disagree on that point wholeheartedly!

I see him purely as a short terms signing, if we weren't in trouble, we'd have waited and got someone in who is a bit more mobile. But at the same time, I think he'll be a massive success, and might end up getting cult status like Kilcline and Kelly by the time he's finished here. 

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I see him purely as a short terms signing, if we weren't in trouble, we'd have waited and got someone in who is a bit more mobile. But at the same time, I think he'll be a massive success, and might end up getting cult status like Kilcline and Kelly by the time he's finished here. 

The thing is this guy is definitely mobile from what I can see. Think people expecting a statue of a target man are going to be surprised.

Just now, KaKa said:

The thing is this guy is definitely mobile from what I can see. Think people expecting a statue of a target man are going to be surprised.

I'm assuming he might have lost a yard of pace since there seems to be a feeling that he's faded this season. He was never that quick, but he can run in behind for sure. I also concur with the other guys picking up that he can strike the ball cleanly with both feet. He really is quite a good finisher. 

This is a similar signing to Ferdinand for us. A standout player in a team that struggles in t he lower parts of the league, powerful, good shot, good in the air. Hopefully he can do half as much as Sir Les and for that he'll be eternally thanked.

5 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

I mean it's been pointed out a number of times in the thread, but that doesn't have to be the only choice.

I doubt it will be the only choice, pretty much everyone credible is reporting that we're still in the market for another striker. 

1 minute ago, HawK said:

This is a similar signing to Ferdinand for us. A standout player in a team that struggles in t he lower parts of the league, powerful, good shot, good in the air. Hopefully he can do half as much as Sir Les and for that he'll be eternally thanked.

I think that's an optimistic comparison - Sir Les scored 60 league goals in the 3 seasons before he joined us from QPR. :lol:

Bloke's got 10 per season the last 4 seasons, playing for Burnley. Burnley are not renowned for their attacking style and more often that not will sit on a 0-0, his opportunity for more goals must be quite limited.

I think it will prove to be a very intelligent signing. It already is, it just depends whether it is successful.

Just now, Chris_R said:

I think that's an optimistic comparison - Sir Les scored 60 league goals in the 3 seasons before he joined us from QPR. :lol:

It was a different time then, strikers scored all the goals in the league, every team had a striker that scored buckets.

3 minutes ago, HawK said:

From a stylistic point of view, I can kind of see what you mean.

1 minute ago, UncleBuzzcocks said:

Really don’t get this signing, £25 million going to our relegation rival too. I think Burnley will get a better striker with that money tbh, they won’t have to pay the ‘rich club tax’ like we do.

If Burnley were coming after my striker I'd be asking them for £25million.