Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

3 minutes ago, UncleBuzzcocks said:

Really don’t get this signing, £25 million going to our relegation rival too. I think Burnley will get a better striker with that money tbh, they won’t have to pay the ‘rich club tax’ like we do.

Who's the better striker they'll get for that money?

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Could Burnley not have afforded a £25 million forward before?

Dunno. I'm just pointing out that they're not completely without their own 'Saudi tax'. Besides, a £25million player means something different to different clubs. Bournemouth spent £20million on Solanke cos he was the best they could get for that price. Everton or Wolves for instance would probably be able to identify/tempt better players for the same money. 

I'm not worried about us giving Burnley money, it's basically what I'm saying. Will gladly pinch their main striker. 

2 minutes ago, HawK said:

It was a different time then, strikers scored all the goals in the league, every team had a striker that scored buckets.

I'm sorry I'm not having this, it's absolute bollocks. :lol:

Teddy Sheringham top scored in 1992/93 with 22 goals. Most seasons the top scorers look very similar to this last couple of seasons, you can see for yourself here:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

The exception being 1993/94, where there were a lot of people getting a lot of goals, and there were a couple of standout anomalies like Shearer having 30+goal seasons around that time but then you only have to go back a season or 2 to see Salah do the same. In short, it wasn't really any different and Ferdinand was an absolute monster of a player, both for QPR and for us.

I remember seeing him play for QPR at St James', I think the season before we signed him and he was absolutely immense. He dominated everything, he was just amazing and I was over the moon when we signed him.

I want Wood to do well, I genuinely think he will and am very optimistic about him from what I've seen, but there's not many footballers on Earth fit to lace Sir Les's boots for that 5 or 6 year period in the mid to late 90s when he played for us and QPR.

Just now, Chris_R said:

I'm sorry I'm not having this, it's absolute bollocks. :lol:

Teddy Sheringham top scored in 1992/93 with 22 goals. Most seasons the top scorers look very similar to this last couple of seasons, you can see for yourself here:

https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/goals

The exception being 1993/94, where there were a lot of people getting a lot of goals, and there were a couple of standout anomalies like Shearer having 30+goal seasons around that time but then you only have to go back a season or 2 to see Salah do the same. In short, it wasn't really any different and Ferdinand was an absolute monster of a player, both for QPR and for us.

I remember seeing him play for QPR at St James', I think the season before we signed him and he was absolutely immense. He dominated everything, he was just amazing and I was over the moon when we signed him.

I want Wood to do well, I genuinely think he will and am very optimistic about him from what I've seen, but there's not many footballers on Earth fit to lace Sir Les's boots for that 5 or 6 year period in the mid to late 90s when he played for us and QPR.

Ferdinand was lightning quick as well. Sorry, but for all Wood's qualities, it's like comparing a carthorse to a thoroughbred. 

2 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Anyone know if we are paying the fee up front or in installments?

Also whats is his injury record like?

Played nearly every game in the past three seasons.

Edited by LRD

Just now, STM said:

Has there been any sighting of him? Any confirmation of his arrival etc?

Probably have to wait for an Adam P tweet for it to become official first.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Burnley don't even need a better striker, just someone who can hit a purple patch which is quite common when players switch clubs.

We're obviously hoping for the same from Wood.

If I was a Burnley fan I would deffinitely be happy with this deal like.

Will be interesting to come back to this thread and see who has the bigger impact over the second half of the season - Wood or his purple patch replacement at Burnley. 

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Its like someone coming in and triggering Wilsons release clause a few days before a massive game. Burnley now dont have their first choice striker with two massive games in the next 6 days

Ignoring the financial aspect, there is no way they can be happy

Not really buying the 'Saudi Tax' thing. 

Most clubs are in a precarious position and majority are not really able to allow their players to go mid season. 

Lille haven't sold us Botman as they don't want to sell him, at least until the summer. 

There's a premium on players in this window for exactly that reason. Yeah we give them a load of money but leave a massive hole in their team which will be hard to plug with out paying over the odds.

Burnley will have exactly the same issues as us when it comes to trying to spend that money. The only way they get a 'better' replacement wil likely be on loan and if so right at the end of the window if more desirable clubs haven't snapped them up. 

9 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Burnley don't even need a better striker, just someone who can hit a purple patch which is quite common when players switch clubs.

We're obviously hoping for the same from Wood.

Considering our positions and their goal tallies are very similar, would you be happy if we'd sold a fit Wilson to Burnley?