Chris Wood (now playing for Nottingham Forest)

BeloEmre

Just now, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

The ball just doesn't stick to him. Think how much Rondon was able to hold it up, for example. He's a mile off. Would've been so, so beneficial today to have someone capable of holding the ball up to give us an outlet and take the pressure off. Dunk and Duffy won nearly everything against him and owt that fell his way required an immediate lay-off.

Came in here to post about how frustrating it was at the end when he tried to bring it down and take it to the corner and it just bounced off him, meaning we were vulnerable to a counter attack.

Key part in the first goal mind. Still hope he’s nowhere near our first team in August. 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Wood has never been a target man. Folk assume he has because he's a beast in the air.

I think this is important to realise. A couple of times today where he turned away from people and made some ground or won a foul, that’s his game. 

Especially not against Brighton when they have two giant CBs. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

Came in here to post about how frustrating it was at the end when he tried to bring it down and take it to the corner and it just bounced off him, meaning we were vulnerable to a counter attack.

Key part in the first goal mind. Still hope he’s nowhere near our first team in August. 

Aye, can't fault the role he played in that first goal. However looking at his build and what you expect from him, it's just not there. We weren't looking for someone to break through with pace - it just needed to be held and he should be able to do that.

In all honesty, Joelinton up top would've done a better job in that regard, so long he had Willock and ASM offering support.

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Wood has never been a target man. Folk assume he has because he's a beast in the air.

He dosn't look like a goal scorer either and no way does he have the pace to run behind defenders so what is he?

Mind the turn and pass for the first goal is exactly the sort of thing he should be trying to do more often, really good play then.

Edited by Newcastle Fan

Goals scored - 0

Assists - 0

‘Nice passes’ - 1

Mistakes leading directly to an opposition goal - 1

Mad considering he’s played 90 full minutes in 7 consecutive games in a winning side.

His pass percentage is something grim like 50%. His overall play is poor and he’s nothing of a goal threat.

Makes Joselu look like Shearer.

That said, we’re still winning games and there is no other option on the bench. He needs binning as soon as the season ends mind.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

He's certainly done his bit and there's no way in hell we go unbeaten in 8 without signing a centre-forward, but I've been surprised by how generally pants he is. He shows for the ball and occupies CBs pretty well, certainly in the aerial battle, but he couldn't be less of an attacking threat. I rated the signing despite the price tag but I expected more. 

That being said, I don't think he's a write-off. We've seen worse strikers have poxy starts and suddenly find a bit of confidence in front of goal. Leon Best springing to mind. 

57 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He's certainly done his bit and there's no way in hell we go unbeaten in 8 without signing a centre-forward, but I've been surprised by how generally pants he is. He shows for the ball and occupies CBs pretty well, certainly in the aerial battle, but he couldn't be less of an attacking threat. I rated the signing despite the price tag but I expected more. 

That being said, I don't think he's a write-off. We've seen worse strikers have poxy starts and suddenly find a bit of confidence in front of goal. Leon Best springing to mind. 

I wasn’t overly thrilled or impressed with the signing, however willing to give him time since we were desperate but he’s shown nothing to suggest we haven’t panicked and probably thrown £15-20m down the toilet. 

looks like by default he’s going to get a few more games to see if anything clicks, but I reckon there’s a distinct possibility he doesn’t score a goal for us in his time here. 

It was the gamble that had to be took. If youd said at the start of January we've spent 25 million and won't get any of it back but we stop up everyone would have took it

Oh aye and he done class for the first goal yesterda

He was signed in desperation at a point where things were looking incredibly grim for us and he's played a part in our transformation. £25m was a ridiculous amount of money for him, everyone knew that, but it will be more than paid back if we stay up, which we might have been in serious danger of had we not had his presence in our season changing scraped win against Leeds and since then. Maybe we could've got someone better if we'd been more patient, or maybe it would have gone the way of Lingard and Ekitike on deadline day and we'd now be facing almost certain relegation because we would not have had this run without a presence up front.

Burnley spent 15m on him, there was no way they’d have just sold him to us for a similar price so the extra 10m, it is what it is. If we stay up it will look cheap.

Going back to November we looked done for, so bit of perspective and all that.

21 minutes ago, Shelveys Hair said:

7 games he's played in we've took 17 points from a possible 21

It weakened Burnley when we signed him and they had to bed in a player from a different league

Not the second coming of Shearer by any means, but he's did a job for us

It hasn't weakened Burnley, it seemed to galvanise them and Weghorst instantly looked an upgrade on Wood. They looked dead and buried before that and now they have a very good chance of survival.

So far it's turned out well for both clubs and that could potentially turn out gloriously badly for Leeds or Everton.

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

The team benefit greatly from having Wood out there. 

Aye, this is the main point to consider...

He wins a huge amount in the air, is always "between" the centre backs meaning he has them both occupied, holds the ball up so that we can move up the pitch, his runs off the ball are intelligent and his pressing and cutting off pass angles is class.

If he could score a goal we would be licking his bumhole!

I would have agreed with the majority, but last two games he has been very good, bar the lack of goal.

People are going to keep going round in circles on this lad. 

In a traditional market he is not worth £25m, we know that. To a team in the bottom three that had just lost their best striker he was worth £25m and that's before we talk about what it did to Burnley. You always want - and expect - your forward to get goals, especially when they have that price tag. I won't chronicle his chances in front of goal, but I'd have liked to see him find the net once or twice during this run.

That said, while the points are coming in I see enough in his overall game for him to stay in the team. He occupies defenders, he doesn't let them win headers easily, and yesterday he played a pivotal role in a goal we scored. I also think people forget we simply don't have another option. Gayle is anonymous at this level. This is the biggest club he's played for, so I'd rather get behind him and will him to score over bemoaning the fact he's not value for money (he is if we stay up).