Newcastle United vs Watford: 15/01/22 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

Why all these formations with 3 at the back and wingbacks? That's not how the manager plays and he's virtually never deviated away from 4 at the back. Rafa thought it was the best way for us to play as the CH's are all so fucking useless and 3 is better than 2, Bruce tried with 4 at the back but gave up as the fullbacks were crap, Howe if nothing else sticks to the way he wants to play even if I doesn't suit the players he can pick from.

Just now, Away Toon said:

Why all these formations with 3 at the back and wingbacks? That's not how the manager plays and he's virtually never deviated away from 4 at the back. Rafa thought it was the best way for us to play as the CH's are all so fucking useless and 3 is better than 2, Bruce tried with 4 at the back but gave up as the fullbacks were crap, Howe if nothing else sticks to the way he wants to play even if I doesn't suit the players he can pick from.

Sometime you have to alter things temporarily when availability changes. Without Manquillo or Lewis Left back is a gaping wound.

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Sometime you have to alter things temporarily when availability changes. Without Manquillo or Lewis Left back is a gaping wound.

Howe has shown throughout his career that he is not flexible with team formations.

1 minute ago, Away Toon said:

Howe has shown throughout his career that he is not flexible with team formations.

As a long term strategy but he's never changed formation for the odd game because avaiability isn't great ?

10 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

I think you answered your own question there. Rafa tried to go 4-4-2 as well with these players, and we ended up pushing for goals, failing to score, then leaving ourselves open to getting countered. I I am all in favour of Howe's attacking philosophy in theory, but you need good players to make it work. Rafa's formation made our defenders look a lot better than they actually were IMO. We were really defending with a back 8 not a back 4. 

Also, until we have a proper left back available, I think it's risky to go with 4 at the back. 

37 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Was looking at the training pictures earlier, Willock looks absolutely depressed in every single one of them.

Wonder if he's been frozen out by teammates, something just not right there at all.

He’s not in any of the photos, is he? 

Dub

Trip  Lascelles Schar  PD

Sean Shelv Jow

Wee-man                 Maxi

Wood

if PD can't start:

Dub

Krafth  Lascelles Schar  Trip

Sean Shelv Jow

Wood

Edited by Kanji

44 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think you answered your own question there. Rafa tried to go 4-4-2 as well with these players, and we ended up pushing for goals, failing to score, then leaving ourselves open to getting countered. I I am all in favour of Howe's attacking philosophy in theory, but you need good players to make it work. Rafa's formation made our defenders look a lot better than they actually were IMO. We were really defending with a back 8 not a back 4. 

Also, until we have a proper left back available, I think it's risky to go with 4 at the back. 

I agree it's a risk, it's not just a LB we need it's also two good CB's. My point was that Howe is pretty inflexible with formations and tactics and he's virtually never played 3 at the back in his 10 year career so he's unlikely to do it now. He's rather play Richie there than a 3 with wingbacks.

Guest Biggsbond14
3 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Dub

Trip  Lascelles Schar  PD

Sean Shelv Jow

Wood

if PD can't start:

Dub

Krafth  Lascelles Schar  Trip

Sean Shelv Jow

Wood

Just fuck off with wee man 😂 rather have miggy there or Murphy 

Howe rarely deviates away from starting with a traditional back four, using it in 86.3 per cent of his matches as a top-flight manager. He is not afraid to switch things up as a shock tactic, as he did when beating Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge in an unfamiliar 3-4-3, but in general he prefers 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

4 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Howe rarely deviates away from starting with a traditional back four, using it in 86.3 per cent of his matches as a top-flight manager. He is not afraid to switch things up as a shock tactic, as he did when beating Chelsea 3-0 at Stamford Bridge in an unfamiliar 3-4-3, but in general he prefers 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1.

So he does change it if he feels its necessary.

From .com:

The publication of training ground photos this week showing only one goalkeeper - Mark Gillespie - led to speculation over the possible unavailability of Martin Dubravka, Karl Darlow and Freddie Woodman.

There's of course no rule that every player featuring in training has to appear in the photos - while a measure of the current situation may come from tonight's U23 game if regular 'keeper Dan Langley fails to feature.

Langley isn't in the U23 squad tonight.