Newcastle United vs. Everton 08/02/2022 @ 7.45pm (BT)

LRD

this is massive, saying that  every game since Brentford seems to be massive...not really looking forward to this, they've a new manager,  signed 2 good players, and going by the cup game at the weekend seem to have that new manager bounce....think this is a must not lose rather than a must win tbh and would take a point now 1-1

Off the back of the win against Leeds a win here is vital if we're going to have hope of pulling away from trouble. Another disappointing home draw, or defeat, maintains this season's form.

We'll find out here if Leeds was a season changing moment or just a false dawn. 

12 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Have to win, for so many reasons.

Of course we do, as we can’t keep dropping points at home. It’s a massive chance to also pull in a few other teams into the mix. Got to play Bruno from the off and put Willock in a more advanced role. However, I would not be shocked in the slightest if both Shelvey and Longstaff start. 

Edited by et tu brute

I see these must win comments all the time before every game now . 

We must accumulate points and it’s what we are now doing , we have better depth so I’d be happy at being unbeaten . Of course we want wins but we also need points a loss and a win is still decent don’t get too stuck on 4 points as that imho is a tough ask . 

Just now, GWN said:

We must accumulate points and it’s what we are now doing , we have better depth so I’d be happy at being unbeaten . Of course we want wins but we also need points a loss and a win is still decent don’t get too stuck on 4 points as that imho is a tough ask . 

We are, but at a slow rate and 3 points in one game is, well better than 3 points from 3 games, a couple of wins can get you up the table, draws keep you down there and games are running out. It’s a must win game against a team in worse form than us, with injuries of their own and we are at home. We should be looking to beat them and should be beating them if we want to stay up. It’s that simple. Lose and it hammers home how unlikely it is we stay up!

Just now, GWN said:

I actually think this is a must win game to make sure we bring other teams back in the mix. I certainly don’t want a situation where it’s one team out of four stays up. We can be one point behind Everton and most likely also reduce the gap with Leeds and Brentford. 

2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We are, but at a slow rate and 3 points in one game is, well better than 3 points from 3 games, a couple of wins can get you up the table, draws keep you down there and games are running out. It’s a must win game against a team in worse form than us, with injuries of their own and we are at home. We should be looking to beat them and should be beating them if we want to stay up. It’s that simple. Lose and it hammers home how unlikely it is we stay up!

lose it and all is not lost , these are no pushover games coming up , we have proved it and they will be looking at us and thinking WIN . 

7 minutes ago, GWN said:

lose it and all is not lost , these are no pushover games coming up , we have proved it and they will be looking at us and thinking WIN . 

All is never lost until the fat lady sings as they say, but win tomorrow and we put ourselves in a very good position and them in a worsening one, we should be looking at them and thinking WIN even more than they may think they have a good chance of winning. 

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

As pretty as this is, it's a shambles from a defensive perspective. We need to be aggressive with the press high up the pitch, that's why Bruno should start.

Position of the goalkeeper on this is quite impressive. Ignoring the question of whether he needed to rush out, for now.. Richarlison puts it to the left side of the keeper… and yet it still nestles in the bottom right corner of the goal :lol: 

Edited by SEMTEX

23 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

As pretty as this is, it's a shambles from a defensive perspective. We need to be aggressive with the press high up the pitch, that's why Bruno should start.

Brentford emulating kids on the playground running after the ball there. Not worried by that one clip tbh.

Still think it's going to be a lot harder to get a win now. Before Lampard came in, I'd have been very confident of a win. Only that he's obviously going to bring a feel-good factor to the club and have the players playing with a spring in their step. Yes, all the clichés, but it always seems to happen against us that a new manager gets a nice start to their reign.

Meh. Leeds had their tails up before they played us and we did well there.

Everton will give us chances and that suits us better. Chance creation against deeper sitting teams is where we're really weak. I'd normally be worried about their threats from out wide but I'm pretty confident in Trippier & Targett will handle their forwards. Digne & Coleman are much bigger worries if we don't cover their runs but I don't think Everton have anyone to consistently aim crosses at while DCL is out. If we can pack the box and minimise getting caught on the turn then I reckon we can shut them out to decent effect.

If it's Allan & Gomes starting in midfield then I really feel we can get the better of them. They have some quality but I fancy Big Joe & Bruno to be able to make it physical & come out on top.