Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

9 hours ago, Disco said:

To think he’d call you Hod too. Infuriating for you. 

:lol:

Watched the penalty, and was shocked to see he missed it above the bar as loads of other players have done. Reading the forum you’d think he made a spin running towards the ball and then panenka’d it over the stadium.

8 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

Google translates as:      

“It's about being a hero and a villain, always living the good side of history, I'm tired of taking decisive penalties and doing and today for the first time I had the misfortune of missing my first penalty, horrible feeling!“

You’re already set in Tyneside folklore bro! now go and show the blues who’s boss on Saturday  :indi:

Edited by PauloGeordio

9 hours ago, gbandit said:

It makes absolutely no footballing sense to do a stutter run up: you have no momentum, you’ve already used up more energy than you need to, it gives you extra time to think, you probably can’t time how you come onto the ball well so its difficult to gauge quite how much power you need to generate. Needs fucking outlawing before it happens again at NUFC. I think players do it thinking it’s going to lessen their nerves as they can slow down and speed up when they want to and feel more in control but it does the absolute opposite 

A few modern footballers could do with a night in watching ray Stewart (West ham late 70s early 80s) taking penalties. Sharp run up smash the ball past the keeper either way. Sometimes the keeper ended up in the back of the net if they were unlucky enough to get a touch. Hope Bruno's better at changing nappies than taking penalties!

H

It was a joke of a pen because he missed it, despite the ridiculous run up for all we know he scores those most of the time in training. Wouldn’t mind never seeing a stutter run up again though.

Edited by Nine

:lol: I can tell you, I didn’t complain when he had the exact run up against Mexico in the Olympics last summer. That’s the way he takes penalties. Look at how Neymar does it, looks ridiculous and the day he misses it will be villified, but he has scored 500 straight penalties with that run up. 

44 minutes ago, Dandy Man said:

If you're going to do something overplayed and non standard then you've got to be successful, these are the rules

And this is why football is so boring. Everyone is supposed to play like a robot and do the exact same thing apparently.

3 minutes ago, Flip said:

And this is why football is so boring. Everyone is supposed to play like a robot and do the exact same thing apparently.

Was not a totally serious comment and I do agree in general, the whole situation felt bit absurd though - was 100% confident he was going to score when he stepped up and then that happened - but shit happens. I am just thankful it wasn't ASM that did it to be honest, would have been crucified.

The stutter run up gives you that half a second to see if the keeper will commit. You look daft if you miss but no worse than any regular run up to be honest. If anything it gives you that better chance but you have to be ready to shoot any direction. 

It happens, it didn’t affect us in the end so we move on and learn. 

The player that is Bruno, that plays with an almost unfathomable amount of confidence to marry up with his tremendous skill, is also going to be a player that won't do the simple things at times. I don't want him to change, I love him for who he is, faults and all. Carry on taking penalties (if you're allowed after last night!) in any way you bloody like, mate.