Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

People laughed when I said he looked slow from his comps when he joined. 

He is slow. But he’s usually super sharp and aggressive. Today he was passive and not aggressive at all. 

Gibbs White was tasked with man marking him and he was much quicker to the ball than Bruno. He ran the show

8 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

He is slow. But he’s usually super sharp and aggressive. Today he was passive and not aggressive at all. 

Nobody has ever laughed at one of your posts. 

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Bruno was nowhere near him defensively which is worse. MGW won that battle easily and it was a massive reason for the L. 

That’s what I was getting at, Gibbs-White, in possession, battered Bruno and Longstaff was way off helping out. Miley couldn’t be expected to help and Jo was on the bench. I was hugely impressed with Gibbs-White, well disciplined out of possession and very progressive in possession.

God help us if he gets injured we’d be really fucked then. I think we’re far too over reliant on him to be honest but I suppose good players stand out like that. I’d like to see some defensive solidity behind him to help him run games. He also doesn’t have the recovery pace to really get back and help out when we lose the ball. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Everyone knew he was slow, it was a running joke that people referenced on here for months. Most of the time his pace isn’t an issue but it depends on having good options to pass to rather than running in blind alleys. He did an incredible pass yesterday where he flicked it over someone in midfield then volleyed it across to our left side. His technique more than makes up for his speed

On 26/12/2023 at 21:57, 500bhp said:

Cant see him making a traditional top 4 PL team; Manchester x2, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal. certainly not based on this season's performances particularly away from home as things stand. But bizarre things happen in football. Say Liverpool sell Salah to SA for £200m, or Arsenal with Rice then who knows what happens then?

I never ever said he was shit. Just not as good as some people make out. I dont follow international football but does his mate from West Ham still get a game before Bruno. He's a very important player for us and been a fabulous signing but not beyond criticism. 

He's not as good as Lee, Batty, Speed, Tiote and maybe Cabae. 

Probably the worst post I've read in here in almost two decades, fucking hell. :lol:

On 26/12/2023 at 22:34, 500bhp said:

Time will tell. As I said above if he is a Madrid/Barca/Man City/etc regular in 6-18 months I'll admit I was wrong ??

I've watched him since he signed and in my opinion he peaked in his first 25 games or so. Not been the same since his ankle injury. Maybe it's as simple as he needs his own Tiote next to him to do the tackling and break up play that he cant do. 

He's our main midfielder and we've been soft as shite all season in centre midfield teams running through us. Brighton, Wolves, Everton, Spurs, Luton and now Forest. I'll ignore Bournemouth as Bruno didn't play. 

Very fair omission. 

21 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

Time will tell ?.

Let's see who he joins and what he achieves when he eventually leaves us. 

It makes no sense though. The list of players you say he's not better than peaked with the likes of us and Leeds, they didn't go on to Real Madrid or Barca and hardly any of them won anything. :lol: The only player that went to a top tier club was Cabaye and he wasn't a patch on Bruno. Rob Lee is the only player who I still think was better for us at this moment in time.

Edited by Kid Icarus

17 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It makes no sense though. The list of players you say he's not better than peaked with the likes of us and Leeds, they didn't go on to Real Madrid or Barca and hardly any of them won anything. :lol: The only player that went to a top tier club was Cabaye and he wasn't a patch on Bruno. Rob Lee is the only player who I still think was better for us at this moment in time.

First half of a season Rob Lee, definitely.  Second half of a season Rob Lee - less so.

It is easy to forget that a lot of the players back then had seriously extended dips in form. 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

It makes no sense though. The list of players you say he's better than peaked with the likes of us and Leeds, they didn't go on to Real Madrid or Barca and hardly any of them won anything. :lol: The only player that went to a top tier club was Cabaye and he wasn't a patch on Bruno. Rob Lee is the only player who I still think was better for us at this moment in time.

Reading the post back the last paragraph was a bit much and probably bollocks ? But I stand by the rest of the post.

Things change quickly in football and here and now he is fantastic for where we are on our journey. On his day he is our best player by a mile and worthy of his many MOTM awards. However, if we want to improve on last years 4th place we need players like Rodi, Rice, etc in that position. He is not at that level. 

I remember just after the takeover one of my first thoughts was great we will now definitely keep hold of ASM and build the team around him. He can play a key role in our progress over the coming years. 12 months later he couldn't get a starting place. Things change quickly. 

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

First half of a season Rob Lee, definitely.  Second half of a season Rob Lee - less so.

It is easy to forget that a lot of the players back then had seriously extended dips in form. 

Honestly, it's the first half of 94/95 and longevity that has Lee ahead. In terms of actual technical ability as a footballer it's already Bruno for me, he just needs to check a few things off the list before I can say he's the best midfielder we've had. 

3 minutes ago, 500bhp said:

Reading the post back the last paragraph was a bit much and probably bollocks ? But I stand by the rest of the post.

Things change quickly in football and here and now he is fantastic for where we are on our journey. On his day he is our best player by a mile and worthy of his many MOTM awards. However, if we want to improve on last years 4th place we need players like Rodi, Rice, etc in that position. He is not at that level. 

I remember just after the takeover one of my first thoughts was great we will now definitely keep hold of ASM and build the team around him. He can play a key role in our progress over the coming years. 12 months later he couldn't get a starting place. Things change quickly. 

Bruno doesn't play the same role as those 2 like, hence us being after Kalvin Phillips. 

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Honestly, it's the first half of 94/95 and longevity that has Lee ahead. In terms of actual technical ability as a footballer it's already Bruno for me, he just needs to check a few things off the list before I can say he's the best midfielder we've had. 

I’m in complete agreement tbh.  Lee is still no.1 for the reasons you’ve outlined, but the idea that Bruno isn’t far more technically talented is crackers.

I do think that it isn’t as cut and dry with Cabaye - I’m still slightly on the fence between Cabaye and Bruno.  Gun to head, and I would probably say Bruno.  But not much in that one for me. 

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

It's night and day man, Cabaye has so many people wearing rose tinted glasses like. :lol: He was good, but nowhere near Bruno's level whatsoever.

Still think Cabaye was a superb technical footballer.  No-one else I’ve seen comes near Bruno in that regard (I did see Gazza play for NUFC, but the reality is that I was far too young to fully take in how good he was). 

I was a massive fan of Cabaye at the time and still remember him really fondly (the free kick vs Man U being still one of my favourite ever NUFC goals) but Bruno is another level and then some, it's not even close.

Just for clarity in terms of what I’m saying; I think Bruno is obviously comfortably a better midfielder.  I’m only talking about technical ability.  And of course, I don’t doubt that many will feel Bruno is ahead of him by a long way on that front; I’m just not one of them.  I think Bruno is better technically, but I don’t think it’s a wide margin.