Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

For the first time in a long time we have a recognised quality international midfielder to allow midfield squad rotation and he should be getting a game and not just five minutes. There is still not much creativity in the midfield area and I honestly believe Bruno will  certainly improve us in that area. 

28 minutes ago, STM said:

I don't disagree but there is more to building a squad and team than simply picking 11 players.

Eddie Howe is balancing squad harmony right now and doing a good job at it.

Bruno will play soon and we all suspect he will be class. Right now he's like a trump card that we can use at any time.

I trust Howe, and that’s the only reason why I am okay with that. But don’t forget the ambition of the new owners, we have to win the EPL in 10 years and qualify for Europe in 2-3 years. That will only be achieved by replacing most of our starting team with better players. It is inevitable that many of our starting XI would be upset for not starting games next season. There’s noway around that, otherwise we won’t achieve our ambitions. 

what message are we sending to our potential signings next summer if they know they won’t be getting their promised playtime just to maintain the squad harmony? What if we keep the current form until the end of the season and never remove Willock from the starting XI, are we going to spend millions on world-class players then choose to play Willock just because we maintained form? The bigger question is: what could Bruno and those like him offer to the team when they are playing on great form? Even if Bruno was lower than his average form, he could outplay a top form Willock. 

Edited by Solitude20

28 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Wow, I don’t think you guys appreciate Bruno. There is nothing that Willock offers that Bruno does not. On the other hand,Bruno is a much better passer, dribbler, and tackler than Willock. He reads the game better and offers excellent off the ball movements. He’s soon to become a regular starter in the Brazilian national team, and we say he can’t replace a midtable-tier Willock? 

Not sure that's what he's saying, he said WIllock is a different player which (going off my understanding) is correct, no?  Willock plays further forward.  Pretty sure I remember Bruno making sure we knew we weren't getting forward.  I'd hope Bruno comes in for Shelvey, don't think that's how it'll pan out.

Again, not to open this can of worms on here again, but I think he should have been starting ahead of Shelvey by now.  

1 minute ago, Solitude20 said:

I trust Howe, and that’s the only reason why I am okay with that. But don’t forget the ambition of the new owners, we have to win the EPL in 10 years and qualify for Europe in 2-3 years. That will only be achieved by replacing most of our starting team with better players. It is inevitable that many of our starting XI would be upset for not starting games next season. There’s noway around that, otherwise we won’t achieve our ambitions. 

what message are we sending to our potential signings next summer if they know they won’t be getting their promised playtime just to maintain the squad harmony? What if we keep the current form until the end of the season and never remove Willock from the starting XI, are we going to spend millions on world-class players then choose to play Willock just because we maintained form? The bigger question is: what could Bruno and those like him offer to the team when they are playing on great form? Even a below average Bruno could outplay a top form Willock. 

:thup:

He'll not be doing this next year though. Under normal circumstances I imagine he would look at Brentford as a side we should be beating, and would play Bruno with the expectancy that we'll see more of the ball and need someone to unlock their defence. At the minute though I expect him to just keep doing what we're doing until it stops working.

2 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

He'll not be doing this next year though. Under normal circumstances I imagine he would look at Brentford as a side we should be beating, and would play Bruno with the expectancy that we'll see more of the ball and need someone to unlock their defence. At the minute though I expect him to just keep doing what we're doing until it stops working.

Thing is though I honestly think by adding Bruno to that midfield it will also take up our level of performance up a level.

6 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

what message are we sending to our potential signings next summer if they know they won’t be getting their promised playtime just to maintain the squad harmony? What if we keep the current form until the end of the season and never remove Willock from the starting XI, are we going to spend millions on world-class players then choose to play Willock just because we maintained form? The bigger question is: what could Bruno and those like him offer to the team when they are playing on great form? Even if Bruno was lower than his average form, he could outplay a top form Willock. 

You're basically asking "What message are we sending to our potential signings next summer if we carry on winning games?" :lol: 

The continuity of Willock-Shelvey-Joelinton is a massive part of that. Disrupt the dynamic and there's a good chance the team stops functioning the successful way it currently is.

You'd hope that ultimately Bruno will take Shelvey's place.

Willock has had some struggles but is still only 22, there's a lot of room for growth as a player there. Shelvey meanwhile turns 30 in a week and his athletic limitations are only going to get worse in the coming seasons.

In the short term we could see Bruno play Willock's spot if needed though, looks a very capable all rounder who can fill a number of roles. Once the fixtures start coming thick and fast I expect we'll see plenty of rotation.

7 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

If we maintain the same form next season - getting through a whole season without losses & qualifying for the CL (on current form we're 4th in last 5 matches) we can sign and bench pretty much anyone for all I care tbh :lol: 

I want to see more of Bruno because his skills and passes vids on YouTube look class, and he is the top level type of signing we've been crying out for in midfield for years.

While we are in this great unbeaten phase and clawing our way away from the relegation spots I'll keep quiet and trust Howe. I'd never have predicted he'd turn Joelinton in to a potential top CM and establish a great centre trio with Willock and Shelvey. Huge credit to Howe for that.

I have faith Burno can adapt to playing deep or further advanced midfield role. Also happy to wait now for when Howe thinks it's best Bruno starts. While we are doing well we can afford to wait for Bruno to play.

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Thing is though I honestly think by adding Bruno to that midfield it will also take up our level of performance up a level.

This is my thoughts, there's no need to wait for it to go tits up, just improve on what's there.

3 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

I would possibly agree but what you are suggesting is trying something new (no matter how confident we might be in it working) against going with something that is currently working for us and getting us points.
We still aren't really in a position to experiment with the starting line up.

Ignoring extra time cause it doesn't go with the narrative, but Bruno officially had 1 minute against Everton and 1 minute against Villa.

Both games that we went on to win.

Against West Ham though he was given 2 minutes but we only managed a draw.

Quite worrying and one to ponder.

Edited by TBG

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

I mean it does in theory and it might in practice but I think Howe has earned the right for us to trust what he's doing. He won't just be keeping Bruno out to keep others happy, he'll genuinely believe that it's the best thing for the team at the minute. As odd as it looks on paper that midfield has been rock solid recently.

12 minutes ago, Shak said:

You'd hope that ultimately Bruno will take Shelvey's place.

Willock has had some struggles but is still only 22, there's a lot of room for growth as a player there. Shelvey meanwhile turns 30 in a week and his athletic limitations are only going to get worse in the coming seasons.

In the short term we could see Bruno play Willock's spot if needed though, looks a very capable all rounder who can fill a number of roles. Once the fixtures start coming thick and fast I expect we'll see plenty of rotation.

Bruno operates in the final third and offers a lot there. Playing him at the back in Shelvey’s place is a waste of his talent. 

i mean, look at what he offered in the final third in such short spell at Lyon. we need those defence-splitting passes NOW. No one does those in our current team. 

Edited by Solitude20

13 minutes ago, Conjo said:

If we maintain the same form next season - getting through a whole season without losses & qualifying for the CL (on current form we're 4th in last 5 matches) we can sign and bench pretty much anyone for all I care tbh :lol: 

Lol, I get your point. But if we are 4th with our current form, then we could be 2nd with better players. 

37 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

He’ll come in when we lose a game or get an injury to one of the three. The team isn’t getting changed until then, would be canny nuts to change things at the moment. 

We also have like what, 4 games in 9 days in March? He'll get some game time.

2 minutes ago, Solitude20 said:

Bruno operates in the final third and offers a lot there. Playing him at the back in Shelvey’s place is a waste of his talent. 

i mean, look at what he offered in the final third in such short spell at Lyon. we need those defence-splitting passes NOW. No one does those in our current team. 

Probably because the defence splitting passes would be currently going to Wood, and he isn’t mobile enough to benefit. Hence we don’t need those passes NOW. We are currently playing to our limited strengths, and doing so very well, with Willock being so mobile, Joe disrupting and laying the ball off, and Shelvey spraying from deep. Once Wilson is back, and we buy another forward in the summer, then Bruno’s passing range and running forwards with the ball will be much more important to the team and the way we will play. 

16 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I mean it does in theory and it might in practice but I think Howe has earned the right for us to trust what he's doing. He won't just be keeping Bruno out to keep others happy, he'll genuinely believe that it's the best thing for the team at the minute. As odd as it looks on paper that midfield has been rock solid recently.

Solid yes, creative not really. Personally I think Bruno should start or at least be given more game time. I’m not the manager though, look at Diaz at Liverpool, Klopp has given him game time straight away. 

Liverpool made like 7 changes or something against Norwich though. Klopp has an insane squad with years drumming into them what they need to be doing. Howe has like 5 games or so of his squad playing really well together. I don't think it's so much as him not trusting Bruno to fit in as it is just him not wanting to break up his midfield just as he's gotten them going.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Bruno comes in and we look instantly better.

12 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Probably because the defence splitting passes would be currently going to Wood, and he isn’t mobile enough to benefit. Hence we don’t need those passes NOW. We are currently playing to our limited strengths, and doing so very well, with Willock being so mobile, Joe disrupting and laying the ball off, and Shelvey spraying from deep. Once Wilson is back, and we buy another forward in the summer, then Bruno’s passing range and running forwards with the ball will be much more important to the team and the way we will play. 

The way Willock played yesterday, I think he'd have had a field day getting on the end of some of Bruno's through balls.