Bruno Guimarães

Fantail Breeze

34 minutes ago, GWN said:

Folk are missing the point , if the team is playing well and picking up points what’s the problem ? It’s what we all want , if he forces his way into the team it will be on merit , if not it’s because what we want is happening.

We need to get used to having big players out the team , welcome to the future , it’s hard to comprehend but that’s what will happen .

Yeah I know what youre saying but dont we need our big players now?

And is Botman/Carlos/Raphina/Zapata/Mueller/Lingaard/Bakker/Henderson gonna be happy being out for extended periods?

7 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Yeah I know what youre saying but dont we need our big players now?

And is Botman/Carlos/Raphina/Zapata/Mueller/Lingaard/Bakker/Henderson gonna be happy being out for extended periods?

What sense does it make to change the current midfield? We are second in the form table over the last 5 games only behind Liverpool who have won 5 out of 5, what kind of message would it send to drop one of our starting 3 midfielders for 5 those games just so Bruno can get a start? Absolute madness to be honest and I've seen people suggesting all sorts like shifting Willock out wide, dropping Shelvey, changing formations just so we can accommodate Bruno.. theres no need to change this team right now. Injuries and possible lack of form will see him get a start then he can show why he should be a part of the starting 3, I get that everyone wants to see him start (I do to) but it makes no sense to chop and change this midfield after the run we've been on. If we carry on this type of form for the forseeable he might not even start until next season or until we are mathematically safe.

12 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

My favourite was a little reverse pass into the middle of the pitch, where he kind of knocked it softly into an area for someone to run onto. Lovely awareness and bravery to execute it. 

Aye I know which one you mean. I actually thought he'd mishit it because I'm not used to seeing our players play it into space like that [emoji38]

11 minutes ago, Nine said:

What sense does it make to change the current midfield? We are second in the form table over the last 5 games only behind Liverpool who have won 5 out of 5, what kind of message would it send to drop one of our starting 3 midfielders for 5 those games just so Bruno can get a start? Absolute madness to be honest and I've seen people suggesting all sorts like shifting Willock out wide, dropping Shelvey, changing formations just so we can accommodate Bruno.. theres no need to change this team right now. Injuries and possible lack of form will see him get a start then he can show why he should be a part of the starting 3, I get that everyone wants to see him start (I do to) but it makes no sense to chop and change this midfield after the run we've been on. If we carry on this type of form for the forseeable he might not even start until next season or until we are mathematically safe.

It would hardly be 'absolute madness' to start Bruno like. Although I agree he shouldn't just be brought in for the sake of it.

6 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

It would hardly be 'absolute madness' to start Bruno like. Although I agree he shouldn't just be brought in for the sake of it.

Nah it would be so silly at the moment, the complete wrong decision to make. 

23 minutes ago, Nine said:

Nah it would be so silly at the moment, the complete wrong decision to make. 

Again, I have no idea how you can claim this like. Howe has made plenty decisions which looked weird but have turned out to be bang on. Nothing is crystal clear from the outside looking in.

We don't know what he's been planning with Bruno or the rest of the squad.

49 minutes ago, Nine said:

Agreed.  I actually love how Howe has approached this.   He could have put him in on Day 1 from the start and the expectations would have been through the roof.   Howe's approach, is bringing him in gently - 30 mins yesterday and he fitted straight in.  No fuss, no fan fare.  So when Howe does need him for the 90 mins, it not just a cold sharp shock.  Bruno knows how the team works now and so the team knows how Bruno works.     Superb management and all the while we continue to win or not lose.

Bruno will play lots in the remaining games and I can wait!

35 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Again, I have no idea how you can claim this like. Howe has made plenty decisions which looked weird but have turned out to be bang on. Nothing is crystal clear from the outside looking in.

We don't know what he's been planning with Bruno or the rest of the squad.

I think its fairly clear what he planned with Bruno now, lets not forget that when we signed Bruno in the previous 3 games we had just lost 0-1 to Cambridge at home and then conceded a very late goal at home to Watford and drew 1-1. It would have been very easy for Howe to slot Bruno straight in for Everton even though he'd only been signed 2/3 days before hand, but Howe has shown us that hes willing to leave a £40m midfielder on the bench and ease him into the team rather than throwing him in at the deep end preferring to show faith in the same 3 midfielders that had been playing since Clark got sent off vs Norwich and that had subsequently struggled up until we beat Leeds. Its a clear sign of what he intends, he knows his starting 3 even with a huge new signing. As someone else has mentioned we will have a run of 4 games in 10 days so we might expect to see him start there somewhere, again though it really is crazy to me that people would just take out 1 of the 3 to start him against Brighton - they would have done this since Bruno signed and maybe we wouldnt have got the results that we have..

Edited by Nine

It’s possible to have faith in his decision making without assuming he’s right about everything. I’ve said this before but some people are going to get a shock when we’ve got a squad full of good players. You don’t just play the same team every week until you get beaten [emoji38]

32 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Where is this talk coming from that Shelvey’s playing ‘really well’? I just don’t see it. He’s been alreet.

He’s doing a tidy job mate , don’t think folk are wanking over him , he’s functioning in a solid midfield and in a winning /not losing team .

Yeah , he’s doing alreet

55 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

It’s possible to have faith in his decision making without assuming he’s right about everything. I’ve said this before but some people are going to get a shock when we’ve got a squad full of good players. You don’t just play the same team every week until you get beaten [emoji38]

Who is assuming hes right about everything? And thats such a black and white comment to make [emoji38]

10 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

Sure you can, especially if you only have the league to worry about. Different story if you've got one or two domestic cups + European competition to think about as well though.

As much as I want him to start and wanted him to start ages ago Howe has played this very well

Ultimately triple J have been playing well and we've been getting results that meant Bruno can be eased into it

We have a lot of games coming up (5 in 15 days, whilst we've just had 4 in 18 days) so he'll get plenty of game time. Once he's in the side I think that'll be him in

I decided to load up the game on Peacock to watch his cameo. My quick thoughts (with the caveat that it's against 10 men):

- His first few touches really displayed his speed of thought. The fact he's able to do that will be really helpful in future games where things are a bit tighter. 

- He's clearly a tempo setter. He didn't just rush to release it every time though. On a few occasions he was happy to hold onto it. If he's taking anyones spot it's that of Jonjo Shelvey.

- I loved how often he pulled away from his marker to make himself available for a pass. It's a tiny detail, but having someone like that in midfield is huge. It's confidence personified. 

- He has a lovely weight of pass on him. There was one to Willock in the middle, and one to Wood that were crisp. That'll be a huge when it comes to exploiting the pace of our wingers.

Overall another encouraging performance. I can see why Howe is easing him in, drip feeding the games so he acclimatises, but I'm optimistic about what he can offer us going forward.

Huge difference with Shelvey is that once he plays the ball, he follows It or moves to make another angle, not just stand and watch it. Shelveys been fine lately but thi sguy is different level. Far more strings to his bow and thats already clear with limited game time. Excited to see more.