Dan Burn

Rich

19 hours ago, Beren said:

That's really poor from a Newcastle perspective. The CB getting sucked out of position like that because of the ego of winning the battle of tackles is terrible.

This was a good take from Beren IMO. Burn seems to be a bit overly emotional and often steps up trying to make a flashy interception or goes looking for a revenge like with Havertz. It gets the crowd going when all goes well but we saw the other side yesterday. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets sent off this season either as he loves a bit of unnecessary force in his tackles.

I never really stopped to think what the last few months have been like for him. 

He's moved back home late in the transfer window in a somewhat surprise deal and needed to hit the ground running to help us stay up. He was playing in a (statistically) poor defence and had some massive early games all of which he helped us win. The weight of expectation and mental pressure involved in that must be huge. I think when I consider all that I find the last two games totally understandable. He's not had chance to breathe or settle. I don't think he's world class, but I do think he's our best central defender and a large reason why we didn't tip over after Trippier's injury. 

I hope he gets some time off now and just recharges his batteries ahead of this last leg of the season.

Guest HTT II

He’s got a rick in him, but so do all our players, that’s the position we are in and the level we are at and sometimes it’s good to remember that and not be too harsh on players when they do make mistakes. I’m delighted for him that his dream has come true, and he will be a massive contributing factor in us staying up and prove himself worth every penny and the decision to buy him.

He just seems really aggressive with stepping out when pressing or trying to intercept the ball. He is really mobile for a big man. But it is the only time he looks vulnerable, really. He has been rolled a few times when doing it.

I guess that is his attitude and also part of what makes him so good, though. He sometimes decides on the high risk/high reward approach. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

I can’t see he’s done much wrong apart from a slight lapse in concentration. 

Other players were at fault for the ball getting there in the first place. 

1 hour ago, LV said:

I can’t see he’s done much wrong apart from a slight lapse in concentration. 

Other players were at fault for the ball getting there in the first place. 

It was a collective effort from the pass being slightly risky, to ASM losing out too easily, defenders all pulled out of position, Manquillo not covering. All the way through to Dubravka letting a weak effort in up the middle of the goal. 

It’s not like it has been a recurring theme under Howe. Our defensive shape has been outstanding.

Shit happens. We move on. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Guest HTT II
3 hours ago, Lush Vlad said:

He just seems really aggressive with stepping out when pressing or trying to intercept the ball. He is really mobile for a big man. But it is the only time he looks vulnerable, really. He has been rolled a few times when doing it.

I guess that is his attitude and also part of what makes him so good, though. He sometimes decides on the bit high risk/high reward approach. 

My mate is a Derby fan but lives in Brighton and goes to lots of their games, he said he’s normally a very placid type or passive type of defender, maybe it’s because he’s just eager to try too hard because it’s his hometown team or maybe probably because defensively we are under the cosh more than Brighton got put under when he played for them? Either way I’m happy with his signing, he’s been superb.

I think part of him wanting to dispossess Iwobi so quickly came from a desire to launch a counter attack. They were dropping deeper and that was their first attack for a little while. Win the ball quickly, get it to Bruno and launch an attack with ASM was probably forefront of his mind. 

I think when it comes to the analysis from Howe and co, they'll be focusing less on the individual error and look more at what the team could do to prevent it. 

Was at a family get-together last night and it turns out my lass's auntie taught him at school. She gave a proper glowing report about his (and his brothers') character and leadership even when he was only 13. Sounds like he comes from a great family who've kept him grounded as well. Apparently he managed to be head boy while still being popular with everyone and not seen as a goody two shoes.

Developing a bad habit of charging out of his position into midfield and leaving a huge gap behind him - needs to stop - whether it's a bit of the Steven Taylor hero thing or just a rush of blood he would be well served to cut it out

Guest reefatoon

Was playing like a Sunday league clogger today. Needs to get out of idiot mode and get back to playing football. Hopefully the early hype isn’t getting to his head, as he’s shown he is a good footballer, just doesn’t need to do the stupid stuff. It’s like he is trying to appeal to the Dunder heads who just want to see players being upended.

Looked like he'd lost the plot as well as a finger.

Hopefully a bad day at the office that he puts right vs Wolves. God knows Jama had enough second chances after shockers so I'd keep him in the side for sure.

There seemed to be a gap between our centrebacks and full backs which Spurs carved open. You'd see Burn out of position trying to get across and just not being able to keep up. We need to keep it simple and keep compact - he was poor today as were a number of players.