Dan Burn

Rich

33 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Thought he was probably our worst player today, very shaky. But trust Eddie if he thinks he’s the best option. 

He will be replaced.

Fulham have Mitro and Brentford are really good at set-penises, probably one reason Howe wanted Burn’s height on the pitch. Would expect Targett to start against Antony.

Edited by Pata

12 minutes ago, Joseph said:

Oh dear - “United on Sunday”. Sell this cunt. 

I do get the uproar around the whole ‘United’ issue, and I make a conscious effort to not call them United, but on the flip side I think man United are referred to as United to differentiate between them and Man City, Newcastle is a one club city so Newcastle identifies us, saying Manchester does not identify them. 

Certainly for me being from the North West, all you hear is it’s either United or City, never a mention of Manchester.

1 hour ago, NWMag said:

I do get the uproar around the whole ‘United’ issue, and I make a conscious effort to not call them United, but on the flip side I think man United are referred to as United to differentiate between them and Man City, Newcastle is a one club city so Newcastle identifies us, saying Manchester does not identify them. 

Certainly for me being from the North West, all you hear is it’s either United or City, never a mention of Manchester.

Living in Manchester for 30 years I've never heard anyone refer to either as Manchester United or Manchester City. Pull them up on it and they'll stare at you with blank incomprehension. You are totally correct, they are only interested in diferentiating from each other. Newcastle United isn't even on their radar ... might I say pricks.

3 minutes ago, Cclay said:

Living in Manchester for 30 years I've never heard anyone refer to either as Manchester United or Manchester City. Pull them up on it and they'll stare at you with blank incomprehension. You are totally correct, they are only interested in diferentiating from each other. Newcastle United isn't even on their radar ... might I say pricks.

Aye but yhats in Manchester. We aren't and neither is Dan.

1 hour ago, Ste said:

Does anyone even call us United? Never hear anyone say “good result for United at the weekend”, or “can you believe it, Isak has signed for United!”

I recently watched MOTD from 1977. Throughout the game the commentator described us ad 'United'. Back then, our fans called us 'United' - just as Manchester and Sheffield described half their clubs as 'United'.

Things started to change in the 1980s and United started being used nationally for Manchester United alone. Surely it was because football became increadingly commercial and ManU were/are the epitome of that. It helped that SheffU slumped after 1976 and NUFC after 1977. 

Whatever the reason, it caught on like the plague and sadly the United tag has been hijacked by a singular club.

56 minutes ago, Scoot said:

To be honest, I hear people saying "City" when referring to Man City and no one gives a shit. I myself may have even been guilty of it.

I'm definitely guilty when they play Leicester for example. Someone made a good point that it's probably just habit to differentiate the two Manchester clubs. Either way I don't see it as a big deal.

3 hours ago, Ste said:

Does anyone even call us United? Never hear anyone say “good result for United at the weekend”, or “can you believe it, Isak has signed for United!”

People in Newcastle do, otherwise people just say Newcastle, because we’re a one-club city. So many other things to get angry about in football than this.

8 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

We used to sing “United” regularly at games. Pretty sure I also had a white “silk” scarf with just United on it. Worn tied to my wrist and not with my Smoking Jacket.

Yeah but that was in a game involving us. You didn't have tha national media calling anyone United and just expecting everyone to know who it was. Jimmy Hill never said " First up Coventry playing host to Arsenal followed by United at Burnley"