Dan Burn

Rich

Just now, pubteam said:

I find it quite strange that we spent nearly £70 million on fullbacks and Dan Burn still starts every game. He really should defensive backup, not our starting left back.

We've basically signed two fullbacks for the future.

Not that I want Burn out, but we have a lot of games in the next 2 weeks. It'd be daft for Eddie not to rotate him out for at least one game, and we can see how it goes. 

I am really interested in whether Eddie will stick to the plan of rotation, beyond the same 2-3 positions. 

8 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He's a really weird one, you don't want him to be playing but you also don't want to be playing without him :lol:

No room for sentiment if we aim to compete for top honours. I think we’ll see very quickly how much more dynamic we can be as a team when he’s replaced by a proper full back. 

11 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s so far away from being an LB, he’s a great option behind Botman if Botman picks up an injury at CB

Couldn't agree more, if we ever want to play free flowing football he needs to go from left back. 

The amount of unforced errors this lad has in his locker is astounding. We are comfortable knocking a ball about the backline then he underhits a basic pass to botman which starts a panic in our defence. I bet you botman is bad with his nerves 😂 

Dan Burn has featured in every single league game since joining us except for the first one vs Everton right after he joined, meaning 59 games in a row. He has started 56 of them.

And for those who thinks his main position is left back: he has played 317 games at centre back (21 with us) and just 90 as a left back (44 of them with us). So basically he has only featured in 46 games as a left back in his entire carreer before joining us.

Edited by Erikse

On 19/09/2023 at 19:57, pubteam said:

I find it quite strange that we spent nearly £70 million on fullbacks and Dan Burn still starts every game. He really should defensive backup, not our starting left back.

This gets me as well - as much as I love Howe it does seem he’s allergic to rotation and change at times.

On 19/09/2023 at 20:58, The College Dropout said:

Rinsed by Chukwueze again and again. Didn’t stop any crosses coming in. Passing was absolutely awful.  

But he was crucial defensively at times. And I think he got his head onto every set piece. 

It also seems every team sets up to target him as well now.

3 hours ago, Gawalls said:

It also seems every team sets up to target him as well now.

Not even sure it's a conscious effort some of the time, more teams finding the path of least resistance to creating chances by attacking our left hand side. Bit of both really to me but it's clear they get less change out of Trippier/Almiron or Murphy than Burn/Gordon or Barnes.

I love Burn, like. I don't really agree with the 'CB playing at LB' assessment any more. What's the role of a full-back? To defend the wide areas and then to support the attack by providing an option on the deck; to do overlapping and inside runs; to make through balls; to get to the byline and to make crosses. He does these things, just with much less emphasis on crossing. His passing ability is sometimes left wanting because it isn't his strength. He's definitely a full-back though, just not a complete footballer. He could play that position for most teams in the league. 

The fact he has fully transitioned there is actually a problem for us though. If the Brighton game is anything to go by then he is categorically not at the standard we need our third choice CB to be. 

43 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Not even sure it's a conscious effort some of the time, more teams finding the path of least resistance to creating chances by attacking our left hand side. Bit of both really to me but it's clear they get less change out of Trippier/Almiron or Murphy than Burn/Gordon or Barnes.

It's abundantly clear they do target him, I'd have serious doubts if they didn't. Howes only blind spot in my eyes, obviously not helped by targets injury/lack of form