Dan Burn

Rich

31 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Yeah, I thought that. The thunk! as he connects with it, followed by it smacking the net, would've been positively orgasmic. 

Also, watching it back, fuck me it took an eternity to make the bloody call. I guess I didn't notice the length of time on the night because I was having a fierce debate with the PSG fan I was sharing the pub with. :lol:

I suppose that's the trouble with clear and obvious; sometimes it takes several minutes to debate something that is obvious. :(

In the Leazes the general feeling was that Donnarumma had made an incredible save but that a PSG player had possibly handled it and it might a pen. Then when it said checking goal we knew goal line technology and the offside system would account for it going over the line and Bruno's position so with the amount of time it was taking it must mean there was a possible foul or handball against us.

I fully expected it to not be given so it was incredible when it was.

Edited by Kid Icarus

It was maddening watching it on the tele cos the only replays were of the potential offside on Bruno (of which there clearly was none), so it was like, wtf are they waiting for? Only afterwards did they show the potential Lascelles handball, which is presumably what was causing the bulk of the delay. 

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

It was maddening watching it on the tele cos the only replays were of the potential offside on Bruno (of which there clearly was none), so it was like, wtf are they waiting for? Only afterwards did they show the potential Lascelles handball, which is presumably what was causing the bulk of the delay. 

I think the communication is so bad that the TV company doesn’t know what they’re checking for at any given time. 

26 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

I thought the handball was immaterial as it wasn’t called by the ref and Lascelles didn’t ultimately score the goal? Like the Gordon handball vs Sheff United - unless the rules are different in the CL? 

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

I thought the handball was immaterial as it wasn’t called by the ref and Lascelles didn’t ultimately score the goal? Like the Gordon handball vs Sheff United - unless the rules are different in the CL? 

Fuck knows. 🙃

Class news, that. Hadn't realised his contract end was imminent. 

Whatever you think about his abilities on the ball, he's clearly a good defender and a brilliant character at the club. Us being more than the sum of our parts last season was due to a whole load of intangibles like that. 

Ideally I'd like to see him as more of a squad player eventually but we should keep him in the squad as long as we can. And very happy for him living his dream like this when he probably never thought it was possible. 

Really good news. Players like Dummett and Ritchie will probably be leaving next summer so we'll need the Burns and Lascelles to stick around another year or two to give some consistency and leadership in this squad.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Great stuff. I fucking love him; he's a brilliantly positive symbol of what we are these days. We're not a Saudi toy, we're Newcastle United, and Dan Burn is as Newcastle United as it gets. 

His dodecahedron heed is finding the net now too. As long as it’s a horizontal launch and not vertical take off he’s good! 🚀 ️  🥅 

image.thumb.jpeg.3cc7eae282aff70d52996cfc36fb939b.jpeg

Edited by PauloGeordio