Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

He’s a good player. Would love to see him be a rotation player next season with a real top class and more offensive minded fullback signed as the starter - however all we need to look at is this season and he’s crucial for us. 

I'd love that too, but seeing as he wanted to move when Villa signed Digne, I can't see him wanting to have the role he left Villa for here.

7 minutes ago, Consortium of one said:

I hope we make an offer to make it permanent.  Really good defensively.  Needs work moving forward but he's still quite young.

I'm wondering if that's the only reason we didn't make it permanent that we knew he was good defensively but Howes long term plan is to have offensive full backs? Still hope we sign him think he's great just not sure why we didn't.

I think Villa just wanted to send him out on loan so he could play every week to showcase his talent and push up his fee. I’d like to think we could get him for a reasonable fee, but I’m pretty sure they will use his performances and our wealth to justify asking for around the £20m mark

30 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

I think Villa just wanted to send him out on loan so he could play every week to showcase his talent and push up his fee. I’d like to think we could get him for a reasonable fee, but I’m pretty sure they will use his performances and our wealth to justify asking for around the £20m mark

£20M would be a good deal, from what I have seen so far.

Just now, STM said:

They just signed Digne for 25m. They can fuck off asking 20m for a player they deem second choice.

Exactly. Once you start talking £20m+ then you would want full backs who overlap and wing in dangerous crosses as well as defend competently. I really like Targett, but at some point we'll want more than just a good defender at LB.

That said, I think swapping him for Digne has probably knocked Villa's defensive balance in the short term. Fuck Stevie G.

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Exactly. Once you start talking £20m+ then you would want full backs who overlap and wing in dangerous crosses as well as defend competently. I really like Targett, but at some point we'll want more than just a good defender at LB.

That said, I think swapping him for Digne has probably knocked Villa's defensive balance in the short term. Fuck Stevie G.

100%. I really like Targett and it's a great place to start in the summer but if Villa start playing silly buggers over a fee, either Targett digs his heels in or we look else where.

25m is huge when you consider that's nearly our initial fee for Bruno.