Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

Yep, get a deal in place now. He's perfect for next few years. Very solid defensively, does positive things and bombs forward on the overlap.

He's been a brilliant loan signing so far. I feel very safe with him defending his side.

As loan signings go, this has to be one of the best I can remember for us - suddenly not worried about that side of the pitch.

Be really happy to sign him permanently, I think he's excellent.

Even if we don't buy him or Villa don't allow it, he's certainly put himself in the shop window, and as a player that's how to do a loan move.

Edited by Abacus

A friend of mine was talking to MT’s brother at the Brentford game and apparently there IS a deal in place. Guess that could mean playing contract rather than fee but good to hear he’d be happy to sign permanent as he’s apparently loving NUFC & Howe.

It's only been a few games and he's easily head and shoulders above the rest as our best left back since Enrique. It would be an absolute no-brainer to get him signed as part of the first step of becoming a team that challenges.

I think what I've seen with him, Burn, and Trippier is the clearest evidence of how much damage Ashley's lack of investment did. 

Trippier improves almost any team in the league, but Burn and Targett have looked leaps above those they've replaced.

I now live in Solihull and was at a pub quiz last week with a few Villa and Birmingham fans and when I said Matt had been playing really well, they all scoffed like I was taking the piss.

So they didn't rate him for some reason.

I thought it was a solid enough loan signing but I was of the opinion that I didn't want us to sign him on a permanent. 

However in the games that he's played he has impressed enough that I think it would be daft not to try and sign him. 

Signings are never a guarantee so if we can sign him on a permanent then we get a dependable LB and we can concentrate on other areas of the pitch. Plus he's homegrown so helps with that when we start getting rid of the likes of Hayden, Ritchie etc 

I'd honestly make him a priority signing, he's been that good. Just seamlessly straight into the side and our left is now as strong as it's been in years while benefitting ASM into the bargain. Rare a signing can fit in so well and so quickly. No brainer signing for around 20-25m.

We’d have our full-backs sorted for the next 2 seasons if we sign him. By then Trippier will be 33-34 and we might be looking higher quality to take us the next couple of steps, but to try and take us to the top 7, that’s a quality level of full-back.

1 minute ago, mouldy_uk said:

Would be a great bit of business to get him signed on a perm. It’s genuinely nice to not have to worry every time the ball goes down that side of the pitch. 

It’s a strange feeling to look at solidity at left back isn’t it ?