Matt Targett

SUPERTOON

I thought he looked a bit rusty but it wasn't a bad performance. It's just a shame for him; he's never going to get a chance to build up a head of steam as Burn will come straight back in. Not really sure where his career goes with us tbh; he'll probably be third choice by September. 

This match shows why Howe was reluctant to drop Burn. 

however we seems to have more buffer now and I would prefer to give Targett a run rather than going back to Burn. At best we could bring his game back for next season, at worst we can just give up and move on in the summer.

Surprised at some of the comments, I know it’s probably because he was rusty but Iwobi had him on toast until he ran out of energy.

luckily Iwobi is a bit of a donkey 

Other than getting outpaced by Iwobi (which would've happened to Burn as well) I think he was decent.

Of all the games for him to come into, Everton away is much harsher than Southampton at home. He deserves a start on Sunday no doubt.

Burn needs a break. His form has waivered this year, but he totally earned the right to be left back after how solid our defence was for first half of the season.

Targett has been unlucky, but seems a good moment to stay in the side and build up fitness and form.

Think I said it in the thread but don't think our first goal happens if Targett isn't on the pitch. Burn doesn't make that first touch pass forward. 

Would be nice to see him get some more game time to get up to speed but suspect Burn is back and it was just a rest. 

Edited by Cf

Looked like it was his 1st start in several months against a team coming full speed out the blocks to save themselves. 

Burn benefitted from Everton being burned out by the time he came on. 

A new attacking high quality LB is essential in the summer, especially if CL is on offer. 

27 minutes ago, Big River said:

what a load of rubbish :lol:

Aye, plays faultlessly last season from the off. His reputation has actually suffered while being on the bench I’d say. I don’t think Targett had a good game last night and I don’t think he’ll be our main left back next season but I don’t think Burn will be either. Targett has been a great professional and really consistent. I’m sure if he’d been match fit all season he’d have put in the same solid performances as last season 

He needs more time back in the side before he’s fairly judged, we know how consistent he can be from last season. No need to upgrade the LB position this summer, it’s far from a priority imo. Although we lack the attacking quality there it’s still one of positions with the strongest depth between Burn/Targett. CB and RB are more in need.

Edited by Nine

1 minute ago, Nine said:

He needs more time back in the side before he’s fairly judged, we know how consistent he can be from last season. No need to upgrade the LB position this summer, it’s far from a priority imo.

I think it’s 90% certain we’ll buy an LB. 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think it’s 90% certain we’ll buy an LB. 

I’m not convinced personally, we have far less depth in quality at CB/RB.

Obviously Targett may not be happy playing second fiddle and want to move, in that case we will.

Edited by Nine

Tough game to come in for his first start since September, or whenever it was.  

I thought he was noticeably better on the ball than Burn and was good for the opener.  Very up and down defensively, mind.  I know he's quick and strong, but when he got ragdolled by Iwobi, after attempting to foul him.  Embarrassing :lol: