Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

5 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

More problems for them

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Rashford as he’s looked unplayable at times. I’d love him here if it was at all possible but I’m guessing his price range will be north of £50m? Given he would be playing in the same role as ASM I doubt we’d go for that. 

7 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

Yup, another one for the cliché crew.

They're examples of bland pundits only there because they played. Need to get Jose back when Roma sack him.

26 minutes ago, Pixelphish said:

Danny Murphy and Jamie Redknapp are the first out the door for me. Absolute no marks.

The F-Tier MOTD lot for me. Stephen Warnock, Danny Murphy, Dion Dublin, Phil Neville when he was on. I'd probably include Mark Chapman now as well. The drop off in quality after Lineker, Shearer, Wright is massive.

I think Dion Dublin might be the most lightweight of all of them, I find him far less offensive than others but he is a total non-entity. I have nothing against Mark Chapman and I must say that Ian Wright has improved so much in recent years, he used to annoy me a decade back but he’s class now 

19 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

The F-Tier MOTD lot for me. Stephen Warnock, Danny Murphy, Dion Dublin, Phil Neville when he was on. I'd probably include Mark Chapman now as well. The drop off in quality after Lineker, Shearer, Wright is massive.

Sky want Chapman to take over Stelling. 

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

Shearer is a terrible pundit imo.

He's very basic, but he has a level of authority that I respect. I find it hard when lesser players are saying a better player than they ever were should do better, or when someone like Jenas implies someone has let the team down when he was spineless. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

A lot of the modern pundits can just phone it in and get drawn into being "personalities" like Keane and Richards, where the talk is more for creating a "moment" so it can be clipped up and chucked over social media for some fake hype, seriously look on Twitter today and all the talk today has been about Richards laughing over Keane, that's job done for Sky, they have some fake clout and eyes on them, box ticked and onto the next one. Its to much effort to actually dissect the game in detail so the viewer can actually have an understanding of what went wrong/ right in particular scenarios. Its actually somewhat ridiculous the level of effort Sky and the like put into these things, we are living in an age where managers go into the finest detail about every situation or scenario, every aspect of a match is thought of, every stat scrutinized, just look at Fraser's latest interview for proof of that. Yet as viewers all we get is base line platitudes, old school cliches, and the game thought over in a very limited sense. 

Honestly, the Kick-off lot are better then most punditry, and alot of the best analysis of games can be found on YouTube like James Laurence Allcot, mainly as they have to put actual effort into what they are doing in order to keep people engaged, and to remain there, as YouTube/Twitch is a cruel game to be involved in, the next up and coming star is just round the corner. Modern pundits are generally ex-players that know they will always have job somewhere if the punditry gig fails, given there profile as ex-footballers people will be lining up for them to shell some random product if money ever gets tight, and that's not even discussing the likes of Talk Sport and Gabby Agbonlahor, who literally disagree with any narritive just to make people slightly agitated enough to phone in. 

Linekar, Wright and Shearer are the best of the mainstream lot for me.

Micah lost it a bit yesterday. I think he got frustrated and felt that Keane and Neville were patronising him. However, whereas Keane and Neville were coming out with the usual ex-player stuff about the current team not putting in enough effort, Richards was at least getting at the underlying cause - ie the ridiculous position that Rangnick has been put in /  put himself in.

Yeah, he acts like a big kid at times, but he's not stupid at all. I like him. 

Players shouldn't be allowed to be a pundit unless they've won a Ballon d'Or.

Managers shouldn't be allowed to be a pundit unless they've won a league more than once. 

Jamie O'Hara is in no position to tell a player what they should be doing one on one through on goal in a World Cup final. 

Alan Curbishley is in no position to tell a manager how he should be setting his team up for a Champions League final. 

Just get rid of ex players all together.

I get a much better insight on YouTube from the likes of JLA.

Hire some genuinely knowledgeable football fans and you will get a much more insightful show.

Also, I lost all of my respect for Micah Richards when he laughed at Shearers best 11 he had played with, which included Rob Lee. He actually laughed at Rob Lee.

Micah Richards has never been in anyone's all time anything..  ever.

I feel that the entire British footballing punditry system is horrible. I hate the stupid Carra, Neville banter; Keane, Souness hardman on TV persona; Redknapp's - I will repeat cliche's ad infinitum but I am polite persona. Compared to other sports I watch - NFL, cricket, tennis, NBA - there is nothing insightful which comes out of halftime and full time shows. Even the ones that are tolerable like Linekar are so poor in insightful content compared to other sports. 

For example, in cricket, they do banter but they also mix it up with so much insightful content. I remember Ricky Ponting deconstructing players techniques, feet not moving in coordination with the bat leading to gap between bat and leg of certain players. How bowlers use that to slowly nudge the batsman into leaving larger gaps by bowling four balls which seam outside followed by a fifth one which seam inside. That is just one instance. I have never seen anything close to that in 20 years of watching football commentary.

I remember Sky once had Rafa on to talk about positioning of Klopp defenders. Carra and Neville were conducting the interview. Man Rafa's insights. It felt like someone from Mars had arrived and was talking about a new fusion technology. For the first time I remember Carra and Neville shutting up for three minutes straight as they knew they couldn't utter a sentence which even approached the depth of intelligence from which Rafa was talking. 

I don't require every pundit to be a champions league or premier league winner. Sometimes a player who coached and managed at the lower leagues or even a fan like Harsha Bogle can have genuine stuff to add. But the ability to express a basic level of insight into the game should be the starting point. 

32 minutes ago, STM said:

Just get rid of ex players all together.

I get a much better insight on YouTube from the likes of JLA.

Hire some genuinely knowledgeable football fans and you will get a much more insightful show.

Some total idiots on YouTube too... listened to one say he still believes howe is a very average coach.. and that he was the wrong choice..

Atleast TV pundits have played the game.

The problem is they just employ any ex-pro, all of which tend to have links still in the game that often disrupt their opinions.

As we see with Bruce, playing the game doesn’t qualify you to have the knowledge to talk about it. Plenty of footballers are thick as fuck and have no idea on the tactical elements of the game, they just turn up and follow instructions.

But the standard of journalism is equally as bad in this country. So there isn’t much of a talent pool to take from there either.

1 hour ago, STM said:

Also, I lost all of my respect for Micah Richards when he laughed at Shearers best 11 he had played with, which included Rob Lee. He actually laughed at Rob Lee.

Micah Richards has never been in anyone's all time anything..  ever.

I take back any prior defence of Micah Richards.

Punditry in this country is awful but I don't know what you can do to resolve it. I hate the argument that if you haven't achieved x then you can't analyse y, especially as I feel that's a massive hindrance to unknown individuals that haven't played at a high level but may have poured their adult lives in to analysing the sport for a career.

There's also the problem of Sky etc wanting name value, as viewership would obviously drop if you just had a bunch of journalists on TV.

Not the mention punditry will attract a mediocre level of analyst because almost everyone with genuinely extensive knowledge and ability has probably opted to stay active in the game itself, so you get left with the guys without anything better to do than just take an easy payday.