Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

I think the fact that they're grappling and tugging each other but only Saka is actually watching the ball  makes the decision for the ref. Not saying it's the right call but if a defender is tussling like that and has his back to the play then he's on very dodgy ground, especially if the attacker is looking like he's genuinely trying to get on the end of the cross. Can totally see why it's been given. 

1 hour ago, LionOfGosforth said:

That Arsenal penalty decision is absurd. Saka literally holds onto Azpiliqueta's arm and then falls over. It's a foul by Saka if anything. VAR quality as usual.

Only after Azpilicueta doesn't look at the ball, literally turns to face and then block Saka by grabbing him 

Shit defending, deservedly got punished for it 

56 minutes ago, midds said:

I think the fact that they're grappling and tugging each other but only Saka is actually watching the ball  makes the decision for the ref. Not saying it's the right call but if a defender is tussling like that and has his back to the play then he's on very dodgy ground, especially if the attacker is looking like he's genuinely trying to get on the end of the cross. Can totally see why it's been given. 

It's hardly textbook defending and I've seen Azpiliqueta get away with all sorts in the past for sure. I'd have to watch it again but it looked to me like Saka got in between him and the ball, grabbed his arm (pulling it round himself to make it look like he was being grabbed and held) and pulled him over while falling himself. He literally would have struggled to watch the ball as he's being dragged over and off balance.

It reminded me of Vardy winning a penalty against Spurs earlier this season where he grabbed the Spurs defender, held him for a few seconds and then leapt into the air like he stepped on a landmine and, of course, got the decision. Just don't like the direction the game has gone in if this is a decision that seen as correct, even hours after with video evidence to lean on. Might be in a minority there like.

Watched it again a couple of times. I'm going to hold my hands up on this one and say my initial reaction was probably wrong. I'm still not convinced it was a penalty but my god, it was an awful piece of defending by Azpiliqueta and, basically, Saka took advantage of being initially blocked off by a defender not paying attention to the ball and playing the man.

12 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Pulling shit like that and pretending it's the other player actually doing it to you is textbook Azpiliqueta like

sure shearer did it too for a pen against kiev i think. was classic.

It looks a penalty because Azpi has his back to ball and Saka looks like he's trying to go for the ball and falls over. In real-time it looked like a penalty - "what the hell is Azpilicueta doing?" Replay suggests they both may have been at it but doesn't excuse how the Chelsea man is not even looking at the ball. Not mad it was given, glad it wasn't reversed. If the decision was no penalty, I wouldn't be mad either

Huge huge game for Burnley if they dont win i feel everton will have enough to stay up.I'm always starting to believe dyche has done something ott to get sacked considering he hasn't released a statement since?