Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I don’t recall the rule being it had to be deliberately played by an oppo player? Unless they changed it 

I think it got changed 

Personally thought that should have been given, thng that makes it weird is that

it comes off the Madrid player, Konate(I think) goes to clear it, and then it deflects off Fabinhos Knee. So does the touch to clear it nullify the Madrid touch?  Its a tough one.

Just now, Bimpy474 said:

Looking at video, I'm assuming they think the Real player got a touch first before the two Liverpool players.

But surely even if the Real Madrid player did get a touch the pass wasn't intended for Benzema.

I thought they'd changed the laws now so that when a defending players makes an attempt to play the ball then it's a diffrent phase of play. Pretty sure Schar got punished for it vs Villa

It clearly ricochets off a Liverpool player though. How do you prove the pass was even forwards? It's a weird one. 

I'd incline to benefit of the doubt to the attackers. 

1 minute ago, LV said:

Correct decision unfortunately 

It was a deflection so not intentional off the Liverpool defender, therefore Benzema was offside. 

I think!

Aye this, they were still lucky though

Liverpool player played it last but it was deemed as a deflection and therefore Benzema was offside. Absolute pigshit rule imo but it's chalked off correctly. According to the rules

Just now, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Can only think the ball was initially played by Valverde which was then deflected by both Konate then Fabinho. So the initial touch forward was by a Madrid player and Benzema was offside at that moment. Which is probably right.

Perfect description Sir :thup:

Just now, ManDoon said:

I don’t recall the rule being it had to be deliberately played by an oppo player? Unless they changed it 

I'm pretty sure this has come up before, though it always seemed subjective to me.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

It clearly comes off Fabinho last

The rule is first though.

Just now, ManDoon said:

I’ve literally spent my entire life thinking it was just the last touch 

We've had a goal ruled out for something similar either last season or the year before. Suppose unless you're watching a match where it has happened you wouldn't know. 

1 minute ago, Bimpy474 said:

Looking at video, I'm assuming they think the Real player got a touch first before the two Liverpool players.

Did it come off a Madrid player at all while Benzema was offside ? (at work so no access to replays/rewind)

Just now, geordie_b said:

Classed as not deliberate, like the ball hitting his knee then hand

To me it has to be deliberate; he moved towards the ball obviously with intention to challenge for it and it comes off his knee/thigh. They ought to look at that rule as that's a fair goal for Real Madrid there.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What's he trying to do there if not trying to play the ball?

Like if the ball had gone to Allison after his contact, would it have been a backpass? No, its the same for offside

Edited by geordie_b

1 minute ago, Newcastle Fan said:

If a liverpool player played it then its not offside no?

A real Madrid player kicked it first though and when he kicked it, benzema was offside. It then deflected off a Liverpool player into benzema's feet. That's why he was offside. 

2 minutes ago, Mike said:

Did they make the offside rule dumb so they could use var more?

This is pretty much it tbh

Football is no longer made for the human eye