Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, TRon said:

Klopp is outstanding man, he's the German version of Keegan. That interview was brilliant.

What did he say?

6 minutes ago, Pata said:

I would bet anything with you that if Real played either team ten times that they wouldn't be the winners of that series hardly ever, 20 games and it's never. But that's the beauty of Cup competitions, anything can happen. Chelsea that were 20 points behind Pool and City in the league should have knocked them out, if Real were in the PL they would be fighting for a CL place with Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal.

I’m aware of how cup competitions work.  Liverpool didn’t manage a win against Man City, Spurs or Chelsea in the league this season, mind.

You can list on one hand the number of ‘shock’ winners the European Cup has produced - generally, it is won by one of the best sides in Europe.  Likewise, the World Cup doesn’t exactly throw up shock winners.  The thing about ‘anyone can do win a cup’ is one of those great footballing myths - they can of course, but the ‘anyone’ is very rare. 

In fairness, I’m now realising that you’re a Liverpool fan, given that I’ve never seen anyone except them refer to Liverpool as ‘Pool’.  Which explains the defensiveness. 

Just now, Sima said:

That’s Gerrard not even thinking about approaching any Liverpool players for Villa.

Thank god we avoided that cunt. Sorry, let me rephrase that: Liverpool affiliated managerial prospect..

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

What did he say?

He was gutted at losing, but said we'll come back stronger next season. Ready to go again. You really have to watch the interview to get it. It'll be up on Youtube soon enough.

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’m aware of how cup competitions work.  Liverpool didn’t manage a win against Man City, Spurs or Chelsea in the league this season, mind.

You can list on one hand the number of ‘shock’ winners the European Cup has produced - generally, it is won by one of the best sides in Europe.  Likewise, the World Cup doesn’t exactly throw up shock winners.  The thing about ‘anyone can do win a cup’ is one of those great footballing myths - they can of course, but the ‘anyone’ is very rare. 

In fairness, I’m now realising that you’re a Liverpool fan, given that I’ve never seen anyone except them refer to Liverpool as ‘Pool’.  Which explains the defensiveness. 

Oh please do fuck off.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

I just read that in a scouse accent ;)

Only joking Pata.  I do take your point re cups, but where Real would finish in the PL is unprovable - they walked La Liga

Yeah, it's a pointless argument to be fair but so is saying one team is better than the other based on one game. Have a good night mate.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I'm glad they're investigating the pre-game scenes, they do seen awfully familiar though:

https://www.worldsoccer.com/news/liverpool-fans-branded-worst-in-europe-122549

Coincidence though, I'm sure.

Yeah they have to and has to be heavy punishments including some of the stewards or those who organised them. This is the ground that two suicide bombers tried to get in ffs and people are climbing over fences and breaking in with backpacks.

Edited by Wolfcastle

I saw that c*** Balague going on about ticketless fans causing the problem - and surely he can’t be unaware that there’s a dodgy historical precedence there?

Though I wonder if continental minds think more ‘Heysel’ than ‘Hillsborough’ when it comes to this.  Looked like pisspoor organisation and overly aggressive police & security were the root problem to me - and anyone who’s been to enough European away games will know what ‘overzealous’ looks like

A statement here by Gerald Darmanin, Minister of the Interior of France, from the control room at Stade de France.

He blames tonight’s events on fans with fake tickets and claims fans attacked stewards. He also thanks police for mobilising.

His statement translated reads: "Thousands of British "supporters", without tickets or with counterfeit tickets, forced entry and sometimes assaulted the stewards. Thank you to the very many police forces mobilised this evening in this difficult context."

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I saw that c*** Balague going on about ticketless fans causing the problem - and surely he can’t be unaware that there’s a dodgy historical precedence there?

Though I wonder if continental minds think more ‘Heysel’ than ‘Hillsborough’ when it comes to this.  Looked like pisspoor organisation and overly aggressive police & security were the root problem to me - and anyone who’s been to enough European away games will know what ‘overzealous’ looks like

Ofocurse your ignoring what Liverpool fans did in Athens and Istanbul.

2 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

Ofocurse your ignoring what Liverpool fans did in Athens and Istanbul.

No, I don’t doubt some dodgy bastards got in with fake tickets.  But we should also not be quick to simply pin this on the support - UEFA don’t half like pinning the blame anywhere but on themselves.

The police, media and football authorities don’t exactly have an exemplary record in this space - and UEFA were blaming the support even before kick off

There was fake tickets being sold on social media before the game, used to get through security so you can get to the barriers. There will have been loads of Liverpool fans trying to jib in - always is.

Real Madrid play with such character. 

Liverpool were the better team but they didn’t play at their best at all. Suspect defensively and ok going forward. 

This season when you against top teams - they haven’t been very good. They played 3 finals and scored 0 goals with the best attack in the league. 330 minutes. That’s not by accident. 

I don't know if the Stade de France has changed much since 2006 - I went to the CL final, got free tickets from my employer at the time - but the organisation to get in was shite then and felt that it wouldn't take much to tip it over the edge.

Guest neesy111
9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

No, I don’t doubt some dodgy bastards got in with fake tickets.  But we should also not be quick to simply pin this on the support - UEFA don’t half like pinning the blame anywhere but on themselves.

The police, media and football authorities don’t exactly have an exemplary record in this space - and UEFA were blaming the support even before kick off

So why is it always Liverpool fans that it happens to?

1 minute ago, neesy111 said:

So why is it always Liverpool fans that it happens to?

Playing in far more European finals than any other club is part of it

And I’m definitely not saying that scallies with dodgy tickets aren’t getting in.  I just don’t think that’s a good enough reason to have densely packed, poorly organised queues being pepper sprayed

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Real Madrid play with such character. 

Liverpool were the better team but they didn’t play at their best at all. Suspect defensively and ok going forward. 

This season when you against top teams - they haven’t been very good. They played 3 finals and scored 0 goals with the best attack in the league. 330 minutes. That’s not by accident. 

I disagree. I think it is more on LFC. Klopp cannot get away with 0 goals in three finals, that is just simply unacceptable. I genuinely do not understand how the media is not as critical of Klopp as they are with Pep.

40 minutes ago, Mansour said:

Barca had a tougher one in 2014/15

Group stage ahead of PSG and Ajax who were the winners of their respective leagues.

Knocked out City who were the winner of PL

Knocked out PSG who were the winner of L1

Knocked out Munich who were the winner of Bundesliga

Won the CL vs Juve who were the winner of SA

Nah City and PSG weren’t as good as they are now.  

Madrid where reigning champions and a real favourite. Barca didn’t beat them. 

Everyone said City and Liverpool are the best teams in Europe this season. Some say 2 of the best teams ever. Madrid beat them both. PSG where favourites at the start of the tournament and favourites in their tie against Madrid - Madrid beat them. I think the bookies had Real as underdogs in all of their KO games including the final.  

2 minutes ago, Mansour said:

I disagree. I think it is more on LFC. Klopp cannot get away with 0 goals in three finals, that is just simply unacceptable. I genuinely do not understand how the media is not as critical of Klopp as they are with Pep.

I agree with this. But if Spurs or Chelsea where in the final - Liverpool would’ve won. Madrid’s character made it a much easier game. Liverpool had chances but they didn’t pummel Madrid. For a bit of a smash and grab it was pretty routine in execution.