Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

43 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm a Newcastle fan so I know fuck all about European cup soccer but when did they start calling it the Conference League?

edit: So there's three fucking European comps now? I'm thinking Roma won the Europa League and they won the Conference League.

:lol: Conference League ain't the most inspiring name.

The football powers that be are brilliant.

The UEFA Cup and Cup Winners Cup meant a lot more so they rebranded one, got rid of the other but have now basically brought it back and rebranded it and to distinguish them from the Champions League have made them all the exact same format for a distinctly 2nd and 3rd rate flavour.

Bravo.

Edited by Wolfcastle

It's quite interesting that today is a battle of the third wheels in our previous two 2nd tier campaigns.

Forest pushed us and WBA closest in 2009/10 before ultimately falling away and losing out in the playoffs:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/20-february-2010/

And then Huddersfield 5 years ago - they were definitely the main threat to us and Brighton, and they obviously went up via the playoffs later on:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/11-march-2017/

1 hour ago, brummie said:

Anyone who regularly went to matches (especially away) back then will have been in situations where what happened at Hillsborough could have happened to them. I’ve had it twice, at forest and West Ham. 

it was depressing last night seeing cunts on twitter going on about ticketless fans “like at Hillsborough”. 

when the fuck will people learn?

Spurs away in 1987, FA Cup 5th round was the most frightened I've ever been at a Newcastle match.

10-12 thousand Newcastle fans packed in a shitty little end with horrible fences.

How nobody was hurt real bad i'll never know.

Edited by Dancing Brave

9 minutes ago, Paullow said:

It's quite interesting that today is a battle of the third wheels in our previous two 2nd tier campaigns.

Forest pushed us and WBA closest in 2009/10 before ultimately falling away and losing out in the playoffs:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/20-february-2010/

And then Huddersfield 5 years ago - they were definitely the main threat to us and Brighton, and they obviously went up via the playoffs later on:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/league-championship/11-march-2017/

Just gave me a flashback to that Tuesday night, Saturday teatime back to back wins away at Brighton and Huddersfield :smitten:

What a couple of games man, remember going into that week genuinely thinking we could lose both and be in big trouble. One of the few highlights of the Ashley era that

15 minutes ago, joeyt said:

FT7H2iqWUAESv89?format=jpg&name=medium

ahahaha

“I worked so hard to sing someone else’s songs and do the dance moves they told me to do, goddamnit!”

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

As much as Hillsborough was caused by different reasons, the fact that there was too many people in an area that shouldn’t have had that many people is what lead to the disaster.

You would think that the fans of the club who were impacted by that disaster would have the knowledge to not go into crowded areas where they shouldn’t be and attempt to either mistakenly be allowed in, or to rush the gates.

It has happened twice at Champions League finals by the same set of fans in recent years and shouldn’t be ignored. 

You’re missing the point. Idiots are going to idiot, when you’ve got a large number of people. The vast majority of people in that crowd - in any such crowd - are going to be people who just want to watch a footy match and paid through the nose to do so.

When you’re in that crowd you go where the Police/authorities make you go. Despite decades of crowd control knowledge and past big games at the same stadium they fucked up, and fucked up in the same ways they have always done. I don’t think the police ignored that it was the same set of fans. I think the police treated Liverpool fans differently, and this is the result.

I’m sure there were plenty of Liverpool fans with snide tickets and (it sounds like) a fair few locals trying it on. That has always been the case and will always be the case. It’s up to the authorities to come up with a system to deal with that while keeping everyone safe. It’s not impossible. We’ve done it before. 

We knew Hillsborough was coming. Only questions were when and to whom. If the authorities are back making the same mistakes again then it’s only a matter of time again. At least we’re not back in fucking cages I guess.

Hope it’s Forest too. We owe the cunts one from when we got robbed the other season. Worst refereeing display ever - although the cunt in charge of the Burton game (Probert?) went close. 

25 minutes ago, Heron said:

Long may it last. It's not the fucking superbowl

If Uefa allowed more than 20000 fans from each side and didn't keep 37000 tickets for themselves they wouldn't have to try and generate an atmosphere 

I have had a soft spot for them for decades, since they came out of nowhere and started winning everything under Clough, would be great to have them back.

Last time we played Forest at our place, it was a second tier match between two teams with three European Cups between them (never happened anywhere before) and finished 5-5 (which also doesn't happen very often).

52 minutes ago, Dancing Brave said:

Spurs away in 1987, FA Cup 5th round was the most frightened I've ever been at a Newcastle match.

10-12 thousand Newcastle fans packed in a shitty little end with horrible fences.

How nobody was hurt real bad i'll never know.

Was utterly terrifying experience that day. Herded into pens that the police and stewards refused to then open the next parts of resulting in thousands of us in areas meant for half the volume of people and huge overcrowding.

The crushing was awful.
Bairns and younger ones being passed down and over the fencing until the laughing and baying police opened up the other pens.

Lads underneath the spurs sitting parts being coined and piss hurled on them.

I asked one police officer to open up the gates and he just rattled the cage saying you northern monkeys are getting what’s coming to you.

Flipping terrifying.

3 minutes ago, George Bailey said:

Was utterly terrifying experience that day. Herded into pens that the police and stewards refused to then open the next parts of resulting in thousands of us in areas meant for half the volume of people and huge overcrowding.

The crushing was awful.
Bairns and younger ones being passed down and over the fencing until the laughing and baying police opened up the other pens.

Lads underneath the spurs sitting parts being coined and piss hurled on them.

I asked one police officer to open up the gates and he just rattled the cage saying you northern monkeys are getting what’s coming to you.

Flipping terrifying.

We were pulling people up into the seats.

Edit.....and a couple of stewards helped us.

Edited by madras