Other games (2022/23)

Deuce

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

I've never seen other European club fans take over a city en masse though. Yes you will always get the odd nutter who might stab someone, but it's the group threat which some English clubs carry with them that causes problems.

Rangers in Manchester and Seville ?

From our own travels I know there was bother in Breda but in Metz there had been talk the week before of shutting the shops and just locking everything down, ended up with a civic official writing to the Chronicle to praise our behaviour.

Quite funny seeing all the self appointed saints on morality in the press box going on as if this was some sort of national tragedy more so because they were mildly inconvenienced themselves than anything else. Not too mention they’ve done more than anyone to fan the flames of the negative reputation of football fans and would have been gasping for bloodshed had it been a less favourable group of fans like City or Chelsea.

11 minutes ago, madras said:

Rangers in Manchester and Seville ?

Yeah quite, they aren't English.

Pitch invasions are back I see, but we'll deal with them as we have to. We've had more experience than most with these things I imagine.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yeah quite, they aren't English.

Pitch invasions are back I see, but we'll deal with them as we have to. We've had more experience than most with these things I imagine.

Pitch invasions shouldn't be so hard to stop given the CCTV in grounds, and make it very punitive. 5k fine, banning orders, tagging on match days etc

19 minutes ago, madras said:

Want Forest but wouldn't mind The Terriers. Think Forest.

Don't want Forest, but think they'll win. They're far too strong for side in Huddersfield that I've no idea how they managed to get there. Much like Swansea last yearbv. Brentford.

1 minute ago, madras said:

Pitch invasions shouldn't be so hard to stop given the CCTV in grounds, and make it very punitive. 5k fine, banning orders, tagging on match days etc

Yeah I think we are better at dealing with these things, we've had lots of experience down the years.

Guest neesy111
2 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

As always it’s likely there will be two sides to the story and the truth with be somewhere in the middle.

It does seem a huge coincidence that Liverpool fans are always involved. I can imagine the police were put in a difficult situation but their reaction was probably well over the top too.

Yeap, it's probably this.  Just it always involves Liverpool fans.  Also the fake and ticketless lot will cause huge issues, imagine if someone is arguing with a steward etc then that could cause huge tailbacks for those behind them.

27 minutes ago, Paullow said:

So, Forest or Huddersfield

Want / think?

Always had a soft spot for Forest since the Clough years so would be good to see them back. 

Back to back European Cup winners should be in the top division.

Edited by Robster

30 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Want / think?

Hudds the preference for me, got a Forest safety bet on though as I think they’ll win. 

Worth mentioning we’ve seen on countless occasions how good French police and stadiums are at organising football fans and keeping a lid on things so probably not a surprise it was a mess. Just hold all major finals in Germany, everyone’s a winner.

40 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Want / think?

Forest please.

Huddersfield are such a nothing club.

Whoever comes up I think will finish last in anyway.

Edited by Stifler

3 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

As always it’s likely there will be two sides to the story and the truth with be somewhere in the middle.

It does seem a huge coincidence that Liverpool fans are always involved. I can imagine the police were put in a difficult situation but their reaction was probably well over the top too.

Agreed, going from the reports from both sides  it seems:

A load of Liverpool fans turned up with suspect tickets;

The French authorities had no plan in place for this, creating a bottleneck where fans were made to wait in poor conditions for hours;

Fans got frustrated, started rushing gates and climbing the stadium perimeter;

The French police (who are always quite heavy handed) overreacted and started indiscriminately tear gassing fans.

Forest will make a good fist of they go up and their owner is mental enough to throw a bit of money at getting a few new players that'll keep them in the league. They've got a good team spirit under Cooper so will give it a good go. I'd bet they'll finish above Bournemouth - especially if they can keep hold of Spence and Johnson. 

Edited by toon25

While many thought they would struggle if they went up, I was saying the other week that I could actually see Sunderland doing relatively well next season, like a top 10 finish or something. They've obviously got a decent fanbase for that level and there will be optimism, so there will naturally be money going on and / or expected money which will influence the odds, but I was just looking at the 2022/23 promotion odds and they are pretty high up the list:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/england-championship-2022-23/promotion - 8th faves for promotion (bar Nottm or Huddersfield)

When you consider WBA have Bruce, question marks over Burnley's finances / general situation, then there's not that many strong sides in the league, and if Huddersfield fail today, they would probably be more expected to head back towards the lower mid table odds-wise, like fellow playoff side Luton, whereas you'd probably expect Forest to be among the main challengers again should they come up short today, so that's influencing me a little bit.

We clearly shouldn't need concern ourselves now with competing with the newly promoted sides the following season anymore, so in other years it might have been better (from a pro NUFC perspective) for a Huddersfield to come up, to very likely fill one of the 3 relegation spots, that's if anyone actually massively cared about us staying up in the previous 'ticking along' era. We shouldn't need concern ourselves with Sunderland either with our trajectory, but at the same time, while it's pretty unlikely they will get back to back promotions, it would be better if we were much more established in our new era should they return to the top flight in the near future, so I think I am leaning more towards wanting Hudds, even if I think Forest will be the better addition to the PL.

40 minutes ago, Disco said:

Worth mentioning we’ve seen on countless occasions how good French police and stadiums are at organising football fans and keeping a lid on things so probably not a surprise it was a mess. Just hold all major finals in Germany, everyone’s a winner.

Or England. But we would miss those trips for the sun, so maybe not.

18 minutes ago, Paullow said:

While many thought they would struggle if they went up, I was saying the other week that I could actually see Sunderland doing relatively well next season, like a top 10 finish or something. They've obviously got a decent fanbase for that level and there will be optimism, so there will naturally be money going on and / or expected money which will influence the odds, but I was just looking at the 2022/23 promotion odds and they are pretty high up the list:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/england-championship-2022-23/promotion - 8th faves for promotion (bar Nottm or Huddersfield)

When you consider WBA have Bruce, question marks over Burnley's finances / general situation, then there's not that many strong sides in the league, and if Huddersfield fail today, they would probably be more expected to head back towards the lower mid table odds-wise, like fellow playoff side Luton, whereas you'd probably expect Forest to be among the main challengers again should they come up short today, so that's influencing me a little bit.

We clearly shouldn't need concern ourselves now with competing with the newly promoted sides the following season anymore, so in other years it might have been better (from a pro NUFC perspective) for a Huddersfield to come up, to very likely fill one of the 3 relegation spots, that's if anyone actually massively cared about us staying up in the previous 'ticking along' era. We shouldn't need concern ourselves with Sunderland either with our trajectory, but at the same time, while it's pretty unlikely they will get back to back promotions, it would be better if we were much more established in our new era should they return to the top flight in the near future, so I think I am leaning more towards wanting Hudds, even if I think Forest will be the better addition to the PL.

I does look like quite a weak league next year, but the drop off from the Championship to League One is arguably greater than that from the Premiership to the Championship, they'll have to spend a fair bit to thrive 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I does look like quite a weak league next year, but the drop off from the Championship to League One is arguably greater than that from the Premiership to the Championship, they'll have to spend a fair bit to thrive 

I still don't think it'll take that much to be comfortable top 10-12.