Brentford vs. Newcastle United: 26/02/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

15 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Newcastle-Online and suggesting we play players out of position. Name a more iconic duo. 

How about, Newcastle-Online rightly hammering Bruce for putting square pegs in round holes, whilst suggesting we play players out of position?

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

I think you'd have to be mad to happily take a point (pre-game) from a side that's lost eight of it's last ten.

Not mad just a general view of the situation at the bottom. I’m of the opinion that any point is a good point when you’re fighting relegation, particularly in our situation where our points per game is just about where we need it to be. Happy to be proven mad by Saturday tea time though, just think this will be a lot tougher than people are making out on here.

18 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Not mad just a general view of the situation at the bottom. I’m of the opinion that any point is a good point when you’re fighting relegation, particularly in our situation where our points per game is just about where we need it to be. Happy to be proven mad by Saturday tea time though, just think this will be a lot tougher than people are making out on here.

Oh it'll be tough, no doubt and a point wouldn't be the end of the world. I just wouldn't take it pre-game when there's a fair opportunity for three.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

It makes far more sense to just bring Murphy in, rather than disrupt the whole shape of the side.

This is much better thinking. he has played well the few games he has come on, just needs a goal, a la willock, to get him going...

1 hour ago, Sima said:

Easy decision to put Willock wide right in that case and bring Bruno in.

Not sure it's an easy decision.

Willock is just hitting form playing in his preferred position. I think disrupting that just to shoehorn Bruno in is a mistake. 

Additionally, the understanding and cohesion our midfield 3 currently have is something we haven't had for a long time. As frustrating as it is for Bruno and us as fans, it has become too much of a risk to break up the midfield 3 whilst in the midst of a relegation battle. I think he'll have to wait for injures or suspensions to arise before getting the chance to stake his claim. 

The easy decision is Murphy and ASM wide if Fraser is out. If ASM is still missing then Almiron comes in.

Too big a risk to play a player that is not used to the pace of the league in our biggest game of the season. Especially when selecting him means breaking up a part of the team which is functioning so well.

Edited by PlymouthGeordie

Not sure what Almiron would do though…..

doesn’t carry the ball forward, no defence split passes and no crosses, especially if he’s on the right. 

if both ASM and Fraser are out I think you have to look at a formation change tbh

I think if Fraser and/or ASM are out.  Willock should be played wide, with licence to tuck in a bit and try to get closer to Wood when the opportunity arises.  The same way Fraser and ASM have done at times the last few games from goal kicks and long balls. Workrate up and down doesn't seem to be an issue with him.   

Not ideal moving him out of the middle where he has been so good.  But he is still advanced up the pitch and would be a better option than Almiron.  Who is always pretty crap played wide and hasn't looked good in a long while.  The position Rafa had him playing so well in doesn't really exist in Howe's set up. 

I wouldn't want him shifted out wide.  But Joelinton played really well against these at home wide in a 3, bar his customary slip in the box.  So that might be in Howe's thinking, as well.  

Based on nothing other than guesswork.  I reckon Fraser will be ok and it will be him and Murphy again, with ASM still missing. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

I've watched a bit of Brentford in recent weeks, here's my ramblings.

As we all know Brentford are on a honking run, taking four points from their last ten. In mitigation, it's been a really tricky run of fixtures, where they've played Man City twice, Liverpool, Man United, Arsenal and an in form Wolves.

Notably during this period they've changed styles, opting for a low block. This hasn't been a particularly successful switch. Their midfield, is aggressive, but isn't always effective and has often left plenty of space for runners to drive at their back three. Notably, Canos had been poor at right wing back, ASM should be licking his lips at that match up.

Brentford have a bit of a mixed bag of results v bottom half opposition, winning three, drawing three and losing three. All three wins came at Griffin Park (v Villa, Everton and Watford), but both Norwich and Leicester have come away with the spoils. Promisingly, our lads have only lost twice to bottom half opposition (v Villa and Leicester away).

In recent games v Everton and Palace, they've persisted with the low block. While they looked pretty comfortable v Palace (and could have won the game), they were a hot mess v Everton. They simply couldn't match Everton's energy and intensity, leaving all kinds of space between the lines for the opposition to pick a pass or have a run at them. That said, Raya did have a bit of a nightmare on his return from injury, which didn't help matters.

Toney looks to be back for this one and should partner Mbuemo up top. They're a very direct, physical threat and we'll need to be fully switched on from set pieces and long throw-ins. We've been a bit clumsy around the box, which could cause problems, especially if they have the delivery of Eriksen. I'm hoping our new found confidence at playing higher up the pitch should help us to not get too bogged down.

I think this will be a tight and potentially nervous affair (depending on midweek results).  If Brentford stick with their low block, the emphasis might actually be on us to attack the game. That said, they're in desperate need of points and I can see them taking a more front-foot approach for this one, similar to what we saw earlier in the season.

Edited by The Prophet

Toney is guaranteed to score if he plays and this is a tricky fixture for us regardless of form, we should be looking to beat these, however, and we should be confident of doing so.

Honestly, I feel like Dubravka could pick up an injury and there were be a section of us who would be trying to figure out a way for this to get Bruno in the side. 

There's no rush. The three lads in centre mid are all playing well. If Fraser is missing it will be Murphy out there. 

23 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Honestly, I feel like Dubravka could pick up an injury and there were be a section of us who would be trying to figure out a way for this to get Bruno in the side. 

There's no rush. The three lads in centre mid are all playing well. If Fraser is missing it will be Murphy out there. 

We just assuming ASM is back? Or have I missed an update saying he is fit? 

41 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

:thup:

29 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Match sharpness will become an issue for him soon, it's a month since he last played 90 minutes. The most time he's had on the pitch since his last Lyon match on 21st Jan was coming on in the 73rd minute in Brazil vs. Paraguay.

2 minutes ago, Mr Raspberry Jam said:

Think it's based off Edwards' tweet on Saturday morning that he was told ASM should be back for Brentford.

Nice one, cheers.  Hope that is true.  Wouldn't actually mind Murphy on the right if Fraser is out.  

4 hours ago, Sima said:

Easy decision to put Willock wide right in that case and bring Bruno in.

This. I'm certain Willock can play in a wide position (but a little more withdrawn). He is very good at nicking the ball, and then pushing forward 15-20 yards. 

4 hours ago, The Prophet said:

It makes far more sense to just bring Murphy in, rather than disrupt the whole shape of the side.

Murphy will already be starting on the left, no?

Unless ASM is back then happy days...

Edited by Sima

29 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Match sharpness will become an issue for him soon, it's a month since he last played 90 minutes. The most time he's had on the pitch since his last Lyon match on 21st Jan was coming on in the 73rd minute in Brazil vs. Paraguay.

After this game we’ve got a run 4 games in 12 days (possibly 5 in 15) so he’ll definitely get a start in there, even if the other midfielders continue to do well. Howe more or less said as much in his last press conference.

2 hours ago, HTT II said:

Toney is guaranteed to score if he plays and this is a tricky fixture for us regardless of form, we should be looking to beat these, however, and we should be confident of doing so.

I think Burn will smother him.