Brentford vs. Newcastle United: 26/02/2022 @ 3pm (No UK TV)

LRD

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

Why would Shelvey get dropped at the moment?

For me because Joelinton is probably the best in the middle right now, Willock would offer more advanced, and it's the best way to get Bruno into the side, Shelveys doing ok at the minute granted, but we have an alleged top class player here sat waiting, if any of those three make way for Bruno, it would be Shelvey for me, otherwise were not going to be seeing Bruno establish himself. Plus I'd like to see Joelinton and Bruno partnered up for a full 90, until its tested we'll never know though.

1 minute ago, mighty__mag said:

For me because Joelinton is probably the best in the middle right now, Willock would offer more advanced, and it's the best way to get Bruno into the side, Shelveys doing ok at the minute granted, but we have an alleged top class player here sat waiting, if any of those three make way for Bruno, it would be Shelvey for me, otherwise were not going to be seeing Bruno establish himself. Plus I'd like to see Joelinton and Bruno partnered up for a full 90, until its tested we'll never know though.

I think Shelvey has done more than OK. 

Anyone else pondering a bit of shoehorning the formation into a 

Dubs

Manq            Schar                 Burn       Targett

Shelvey

Bruno                   Big Joe

Willock

Wood                 ASM

Know width issue hah 

You can’t drop Joelinton and you can’t drop Willock currently but Shelvey has had a couple of good games.. history suggests he’ll go off the boil again so why not freshen things up with Bruno in for him. We’re going to dominate the midfield here (feels weird even typing that) so perfect game to throw him in.

3 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

You can’t drop Joelinton and you can’t drop Willock currently but Shelvey has had a couple of good games.. history suggests he’ll go off the boil again so why not freshen things up with Bruno in for him. We’re going to dominate the midfield here (feels weird even typing that) so perfect game to throw him in.

Bruno isn’t a holding midfielder. Bruno/Joelinton/Willock isn’t a balanced midfield. 

Only way Bruno starts is if Willock gets pushed up into Frasers spot. Unless Howe completely changes the formation which is highly unlikely to happen against Brentford.

I think Willock wouod do well there but there's probably little point changing things. It's just that we all really, really want to see Bruno[emoji38]

28 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Each to their own but I disagree. I’m sure we’ll see Bruno eventually no less due to the volume of fixtures coming up and I don’t doubt his quality. But the midfield 3 currently have earned their place and we’re on a great run. Shelvey is playing his best football for ages, I just don’t see Howe taking him out of the side, nor should he. 

2 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Bruno’s not a holding midfielder, ok, but Shelvey is? I mean maybe just maybe, he could adapt. 

Injuries at some point sadly will probably force changes. I could easily see Bruno playing with Shelvey and either Joelinton or Willock slightly ahead as a 3. Or Bruno with Joelinton and Bruno together with Willock further forwards. Good players can adapt.

From everything I've watched, Bruno can play either as a DM or as a box to box. He can pretty much do anything in the middle but he won't get you goals.

It doesn't really matter who he replaces.

16 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Bruno’s not a holding midfielder, ok, but Shelvey is? I mean maybe just maybe, he could adapt. 

Bruno could definitely learn, he reads the game well, and look how Howe made Joe learn a new position. But the issue is how that would be a wasted opportunity to not use Bruno in a position where he could offer a better value. We lack a player who offers those key passes in the final third, and that’s one of the reasons why we signed him in the first place, as that was (and still is) a big area of improvement. We rely heavily on set-pieces and crosses for scoring because our midfield isn’t that creative.

J7 is a typical box to box midfielder now (think Vidal). Willock does not have that vision. Bruno offers the vision, passing, dribbling, tackling, and off the ball movement. That’s why he was one of the best midfielders in Ligue-1. 

Edited by Solitude20

I've said from the start that Bruno needs to replace Shelvey at some point, Willock is the only one capable of scoring goals and with Bruno's eye for a threaded early pass it could really unlock Willock's ability. We replace Willock with ASM and Wilson out then we offer no goal threat.

2 hours ago, STM said:

Especially since there is a high likelihood that one of the 3 central players will pick up a knock in the next couple of weeks. Let things happen naturally.

We’ve got 3 away games in 7 days in a couple of weeks, so pretty sure that’s when we’ll see Bruno come into the starting line up

1 minute ago, Dr Venkman said:

The ‘you can’t drop x, you can’t drop y’ crowd are going to get a shock once we’ve got a full squad of players who can start a premier league game.

makes a change from 'please drop fuckin everyone' crowd we all were 4 months ago :naughty:

It's obvious to all that Shelvey is the worst of the 3 so that's not even up for debate that if Bruno had to replace someone it would be Shelvey. However that's not the situation we are in, Howe wants to keep the team as settled as possible and Shelvery for all his flaws has had a decent run of games and he knows the system, the players he's playing with and the league far better than Bruno does. 

Team will be the same for this one other than hopefully if Manquillo and ASM are back then obviously they come in.

I’d swap Bruno in for Shelvey for this game. I don’t want to win the midfield battle because we out-pressed them, I want to win it because we out passed and outplayed them! Let Bruno get 60 minutes from the start in a game we can win, so he’s up to speed before throwing him in for 90 minutes during our killer run of fixtures next month. 

I'd say we're pretty much safe if we win this. Means we go above Brentford, who have other relegation candidates in their next couple of games, so there will be points dropped for someone there. 

A draw would be fine, a loss means we're looking over our shoulders again, but we should still not panic.