Captain Steak Bakes

David Edgar

Could add my own personal TOO YOUNG category for this template which will have almost all of the fuckers in :lol: but I will try and muster some thoughts/feelings about them.

HATE

Bruce

Pardew

Souness

Allardyce

DISLIKE/DISGUST

Gullit

Carver

McClaren

APATHY

Shearer

Dalglish

FONDNESS

Roeder

Hughton

ADORE

Keegan

Robson

Benitez

Howe

Keegan and Robson are easy to explain as to why they're in the category they are.

Looking back I absolutely loved Benitez, hung off his every word, watched every press conference, loved the job he did here and was absolutely devastated when he left which was the primary reason I chucked my ST. Because of that it's hard to not put him in adore but in the hopefully incredibly unlikely scenario that we're looking for someone to succeed Howe I wouldn't want him back in any capacity. Didn't when we'd just drawn 1-1 at home to Watford and had 1 win after 20 games last season, wouldn't in future.

Howe is perfect for us, I remember clamouring for him when Bruce was still stinking the place out pre takeover and was very happy with him post takeover. His philosophy, work ethic and how he conducts himself in front of the cameras is everything I want in a Newcastle United manager.

I hated Bruce with every fibre of my body, most hated manager of ours for me. Complete antithesis of Howe in every regard, belittled the club and consistently patronised the fans. Hopefully he's absolutely finished in management so I don't have to hear or read his name again.

I didn't despise Pardew as much as I do now or as many on here do at the time, but I do now and strongly resent the revisionism of him becuase of that 1 season. It went so much more deeper than the football on the park: he's the reason I think Ashley set in stone the modus operandi of the club as one who never strove for success, deliberately went out of the cups and avoided Europe because the extra games 'may increase the risk of relegation'. That's his legacy and it still hasn't worn off on this fanbase.

I hate Souness because of how he talks about us now, still endlessly bitter at doing a shit job to the point where he belittles us. We're 'not a proper club' yet 'there's more pressure up there than anywhere else'. Fuck off man, you took a team that finished 5th to 14th whilst falling out with and getting rid of some of our best players. Granted you didn't want Owen and wanted Anelka, but look at the results; 5th to 14th, danger of being in a relegation battle when he was sacked, capitulation at Lisbon, the Cardiff semi final performance, ugh.

Allardyce was a fat mess who played shite football but never pretended to be otherwise. Should never be at clubs like us and Everton, should be at basket cases like the mackems, Bolton and Palace. Hence the respective fan reaction to him.

Gullit was terrible with how he handled the senior players and it turned ever so toxic behind the scenes at the start of 99-00 but he knew when it was time to leave.

Carver was just embarrassing and incompetent but simply should never have been given the rest of 2014-15. The decision to give him the interim job almost sent us down which is astounding given where we were in the league when he was given it.

McClaren was an uninspiring, wet flannel but again should never have been given the job in the first place. Another Charnley masterstroke.

Shearer was just a desperate roll of the dice that didn't work.

I posted a couple pages back but Dalglish is an odd one to me. Surely at the time it was the most logical appointment to make; only manager besides Ferguson to have won the PL, worked with Shearer and Batty at Blackburn, his success at Liverpool as a manager and the romantics about succeeding Keegan in some form again? When he had Keegan's side, we only lost 2 league games under him from when he took over in January '97 until the end of the season and had some great wins at home, thrashed a lot of teams including the memorable wins against Leicester and Forest. Probably as mentioned prior in this thread he just didn't have the money? Ginola asked to leave in March '97 like plus a lot of Keegan's team were aging but those replacements, fuck me. But I never see him as a fraud or owt.

Roeder took us on a hell of a run and was a great tonic post Souness in 2005-06 but again should probably have not been given the job. Great person however who dispelled that 'Geordies hate cockneys' myth and is really missed.

Will always admire Chris Hughton for what he did here, we looked absolutely fucked in pre season 2009 but he won us the Championship at a canter. Had great days under him and should never have been sacked when he was.

Edited by HaydnNUFC

The higher the more I dislike

HATE

DISLIKE/DISGUST

Dalglish

Bruce

Allardyce

Souness

Kinnear

Pardew

APATHY

Carver

McClaren

Gullit

The lower the more I like

FONDNESS

Shearer

Roeder

Hughton

Benitez

Howe

ADORE

Robson

Keegan

Edited by Johnny

HATED AS NUFC MANAGER AND A HUMAN BEING

Steve Fat Bacon Kabab Cabbagehead Bruce

DISLIKE

Pardew

Kinnear

Carver

Allardyce

Souness

Dalglish

Gullit

APATHY

Shearer

McClaren

FONDNESS

Roeder

Hughton

ADORE

Keegan

Robson

Benitez

Howe

To be fair, the latter 2 on my list I adore already due to what they had and have brought to the cloob and city as a whole. Their success on tne pitch is probably not as high as the other two (yet for Howe) but off it, they brought the fans together in the dark times and also the new future we are currently on.

Edited by nufcjb

HATE:

Bruce

Gullit

Kinnear

DISLIKE (Most dislike at the top)

Allardyce

Souness

Pardew

Dalglish

McClaren

APATHY

Carver

Shearer

FONDNESS

Hughton

Roeder

Benitez

ADORE

Keegan

Robson

Howe

Special mention for Joe Harvey bordering on FONDNESS/ADORE …for the Fairs Cup win and some of the stuff we played with Supermac/Tudor/Hibbitt/Green/McDermott etc etc was a joy to watch at times and battered many great sides of that time, just couldn’t get that consistency, but he’s a legend in my eyes from those great days in the Leazes End. 

Carver was just puppet as he was already in place to succeed Pardew and becuase of his past connections to the club. And in the end, somehow 'the team' escaped relegation. Had we been releagted on that final day, he'd be on the hate list of a lot of people. Probably near the top 3 too.

2 hours ago, Hovagod said:

He was a combative cunt with the fanbase wasn’t he, and a firm advocate of ‘Mike’?

I think again a lot of that being he wasn't a proper manager. He didn't know how to deal with certain scenarios (starting on our own fans wasn't clever, like).

19 hours ago, Minhosa said:

Also using the @Chris_Rtemplate, albeit with a slight modification for for most hated and most loved;

MOST HATED

Dalglish

HATE

Bruce

Pardew

Kinnear

Carver

Allardyce

DISLIKE/DISGUST

Souness

McClaren

APATHY

Shearer

Gullitt

Roeder

FONDNESS

Hughton

ADORE

Robson

Howe

Rafa

MOST ADORED

KK

There should be another category of laughably inept and unworthy of feeling:

Kinnear

McClaren

Carver

Kinnear and Carver deserve hate, they were both absolutely awful and full of self regard. 

McClaren is a weird one because he isn't a dinosaur in his methods or anything but just was totally unable to get the squad motivated or together. He was inept and nothing went right but I don't hate him at all really, just useless in the wrong club at the wrong time. Was really weird considering he had more backing than a lot of the other ones.

Kinnear was a really shameful period tbh, especially the second time. I don't know if he was cut from the very same cloth as Ashley, Wise et al - I think his heart was still very much in football as opposed to cockney spivvery - but by the time he was DoF he was about as appropriate for the role as Bronn was for Master of Coin.

As manager he was similar to Bruce in that the Premier League had moved on far too much since his previous stint for him to be of any real use, not to mention he wasn't in a fit state to actually carry out the role. Aye we might have stayed up but we were still rubbish and worse than the sum of our parts. We hadn't won in eight games (in all comps) by the time he went off sick.

I'm only apathy on McCaren, think he was an OK manager for his time but just lacked the confidence to continue his approach when we kept on losing.

I would say Rafa is probably more fondness than adore, looking back. I loved his time here but I knew it was just a sticking plaster and would eventually crumble due to Ashley.  

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

I think McClaren was a very poor manager but I dislike him a lot less than Pardew, Bruce, Souness, Carver, Kinnear and Allardyce as he seems like a decent bloke and he’s quite amusing. The others listed above have huge egos, were awful and are all dickheads of the highest order

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Why? Because he was an absolute buffoon and so incredibly out of his depth?

There’s a difference between him and Carver and the bullshit Bruce spouted though 

carver also has the sir Bobby backing 

Pure hatred in order

1.Bruce

2.Allardyce

3. Souness

Dislike in no particular order

Pardew

Kinnear

Daglish

Gullit

Meh

Carver

Benitez

Liked

Roeder

Hughton

Loved

Keegan

Robson

Howe

Alot more hatred of pardew on here than I give him and also a lot more love for benitez. Both managed in a shit era and in different ways both lowered their expectations for the club

Just now, jack j said:

Pure hatred in order

1.Bruce

2.Allardyce

3. Souness

Dislike in no particular order

Pardew

Kinnear

Daglish

Gullit

Meh

Carver

Benitez

Liked

Roeder

Hughton

Loved

Keegan

Robson

Howe

Alot more hatred of pardew on here than I give him and also a lot more love for benitez. Both managed in a shit era and in different ways both lowered their expectations for the club

Eh?! 

Rafa constantly said how we should be as a club and ‘just surviving’ was a joke for a club like ours hence him constantly calling out Ashley!

Benitez lowered his expectations for the club? He was the only manager other than Keegan who genuinely pushed against Ashley and saw that the club could be so much more than what it was. Pardew talked us down at every opportunity and would have been delighted finishing seventeenth season on season 

Saying Rafa lowered the expectations is one of the most mental takes I've read

The reason he didn't stick around was because the club was pointless. I still love his quote about us not being a stepping stone, sadly it's not something Ashley remotely supported him with 

16 hours ago, huss9 said:

without Rafa there would have been no Howe.

Indeed

If a lot of reports are to be believed he is the one that first brought Staveley to the table, so even if people weren't keen on his playing style, how you can't adore the guy is beyond me

I only really ‘hate’ the ones who continue to talk shite tbh. I absolutely despised Pardew at the time but it’s hard to really muster up any strong feelings towards him nowadays.

If it wasn’t for the darkly comical insanity from some of the dreadful managers we’ve had we’d actually have very little remember from Ashley’s reign [emoji38] 

Loved to hated:

Howe

Keegan

Robson

Rafa

Houghton

Roeder

Shearer (simply because he was a legend)

Dalglish

Guillit

Carver

Kinnear

Pardew

Allardyce

Souness

Bruce

(Pardew is an odd one because I despised him because of the length of time he hung on but he did manage a 5th, he's also been nicer about us in public than Souness).