sunderland in the EFL

Big River

2 minutes ago, midds said:

I'm just saying it's going to happen sooner or later, they'll click and go up eventually, they're not down there for the next 15 years :thup:

They’ve been down there for three already, four if they fail again this season. What’s to stop them becoming an Ipswich?

They’ve got no cash, owners just purely trying to flip a profit and they’ll continue to lose their star player every year. Also this year they may have to replace two, as one is on loan.

They’ve also deteriorated year on year, I can’t recall them ever struggling to get into the playoffs like this.

15 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Not even lying here but if I walked passed any sunderland player in the street, I wouldn't even recognise them.

I’d recognise O’Nien and McGeady if he’s still there but that’s it.

Guest HTT II

They are every inch a League One club now, their spending, wages, everyone at their academy from kids at under 8 to coaches and future prospects in the older age groups all leaving, a half empty stadium, sending noncey looking old men who have full time jobs in prisons or schools to watch kids’ games and their standard of football. I know of 10 kids at least at under 8/9 who were at their academy, NUFCs and Boro’s and a year or so ago they would have chosen SAFC’s academy, most have went to NUFC’s even mackem kids and our academy is piss poor compared to theirs, the rest have went to Boro. These are meant to be the cream of the crop for their age group. If they don’t go up, they could easily spend another 4 years down there. If they do go up and don’t spend, they will go straight back down. 

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II

McGeady is a top bloke btw, his son is a canny little player too. He’s ruined himself with injuries trying to get out onto the pitch every week for them. 

I think they'd have taken the results today, especially with Wycombe also dropping points at struggling Wimbledon. The way the remaining fixtures have worked out (Wycombe's next match is Sheff Wed), they are now very likely to make the playoffs, 1/7 at SkyBet, but it's really unclear who they would face as they could finish anywhere from 4th to 6th, so could play MK Dons (or Rotherham) if 6th, or any combo of Plymouth, Sheff Wed, or Wycombe (maybe not so much the latter). I'd like to see them against Sheff Wed in the semi finals.

They also have got as many points as they had last season, with 3 games to play, plus more PPG than the curtailed 2020 Covid season, so they haven't really gone backwards in that respect and someone will likely miss out on the top 6 with 80 points, which is very unlucky, but they could really do with coming up as it'll be (at least) 5 seasons in League One if not, and I don't think any of the 'bigger' clubs who have been down there in recent years have had that length of unbroken time in the third tier, and it will start to feel pretty normal them being down there the longer they remain, and that's if it doesn't feel normal already.

The playoffs are a lottery and you can get them at 7/2 for promotion, so still more likely than not they will be playing 3rd tier football next season.

11 minutes ago, Paullow said:

I think they'd have taken the results today, especially with Wycombe also dropping points at struggling Wimbledon. The way the remaining fixtures have worked out (Wycombe's next match is Sheff Wed), they are now very likely to make the playoffs, 1/7 at SkyBet, but it's really unclear who they would face as they could finish anywhere from 4th to 6th, so could play MK Dons (or Rotherham) if 6th, or any combo of Plymouth, Sheff Wed, or Wycombe (maybe not so much the latter). I'd like to see them against Sheff Wed in the semi finals.

They also have got as many points as they had last season, with 3 games to play, plus more PPG than the curtailed 2020 Covid season, so they haven't really gone backwards in that respect and someone will likely miss out on the top 6 with 80 points, which is very unlucky, but they could really do with coming up as it'll be (at least) 5 seasons in League One if not, and I don't think any of the 'bigger' clubs who have been down there in recent years have had that length of unbroken time in the third tier, and it will start to feel pretty normal them being down there the longer they remain, and that's if it doesn't feel normal already.

The playoffs are a lottery and you can get them at 7/2 for promotion, so still more likely than not they will be playing 3rd tier football next season.

Only way they are in danger of missing the play offs now is if Sheff Wed win tomorrow and then Wycombe beat them on Saturday. Just can't see the mackems not making the play offs now and then it's a lottery. 

If they don't go up this year they will have major financial issues, whilst having to replace nearly an entire team.

Edited by et tu brute

Wow, didn't realise Rotherham had slipped a bit. Felt like they were running away with the title last time I looked.

These are hideous. Hopefully between Sheff Wed and Rotherham/MK Dons, there is enough to stop them in the play-offs.

3 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Aye. I think Gary Megson snatched a result away to Atletico Madrid with them didn't he?

I couldn't remember specifics, although have just looked it up, and aye, put out A Madrid in 2007/08. They also got a draw in Munich (Bayern) in the group stages that year, and two years earlier they qualified unbeaten (again) in their group under Sam.

45 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Everything is "mag behaviour" with them. :lol:

At what point is mag behaviour just common sense and the term should actually be reversed as Mackem behaviour?

Anyone against them is a mag or dabbling in mag behaviour.

Hope Sheff Wed don't sneak 2nd place. I'd like to see them up, but would rather they were in the playoffs as they currently seem the biggest threat. Rotherham 2-0 down to Burton, they seem determined to blow automatic when they were in a fantastic position only a month or so ago. MK Dons still drawing.