sunderland in the EFL

Big River

If they don't go up this season I can't see how they manage to get Amad again next season, he's been a class above this season which has been a bit surprising given how he didn't really get a kick at Rangers & he probably only ended up at Sunderland because of how bad that loan spell went. I think both the player and Man Utd would be looking to get him a premier league loan next.

3 minutes ago, GWN said:

They won’t make it out of the play offs even if the get into them, they are shit.

Even if they come up, they go straight back .

They're not shit in a bad quality Championship like this season though, Middlesbrough in 4th hadn't won in their last 3 before they humped Norwich on Friday.

58 minutes ago, KDT said:

They're not shit in a bad quality Championship like this season though, Middlesbrough in 4th hadn't won in their last 3 before they humped Norwich on Friday.

Watched them. They are shit, I agree it's a bad Champo this year and will be tougher next season haha

We said exactly the same last year about them coming up from league 1, and that they'd go straight back down etc. No reason whatsoever they can't win the play offs this season, they're better than Millwall, Blackburn, Norwich and on a par with Middlesbrough so would fancy them against any of those.

Then when you come up to the Prem who knows, could be shit like Forest, or could have one of them seasons like Sheffield United, its not beyond the realms that they could stay up next season. The bottom 8 of the prem are shocking this season and only 3 of them will go.

43 minutes ago, NUFCDoog said:

We said exactly the same last year about them coming up from league 1, and that they'd go straight back down etc. No reason whatsoever they can't win the play offs this season, they're better than Millwall, Blackburn, Norwich and on a par with Middlesbrough so would fancy them against any of those.

Then when you come up to the Prem who knows, could be shit like Forest, or could have one of them seasons like Sheffield United, its not beyond the realms that they could stay up next season. The bottom 8 of the prem are shocking this season and only 3 of them will go.

it’s the inbred hate in me :lol:

I don't think anyone in the PL will be shitting themselves at the prospect of facing Patrick Roberts or Jack Clarke any time soon tbh [emoji38]

Not just them but most Championship clubs are riddled with players who won't cope in the PL. Look at the sides that run away with the title, they still sign an entire match day squad's worth of top talent post-promotion. This whole "We've got 6 or 7 Premier Leeygue qualiteey players" is a load of rubbish, very few sides have had that over the years and the ones that have had that have went on to run away with the league - Remember Jonas, Colo, Enrique, Carroll, Nolan, Barton etc Is this Sunderland squad anywhere near that squad?

I wouldn’t expect them to last more than a season in the PL, but I think they’ve got a really good chance in the playoffs if they qualify.  I don’t think the second division is any worse than most years tbf - a really good Burnley side is romping home, but Sheff Utd, Luton, the smoggies etc look decent enough.  Plenty wrote off the Brentfords and Bournemouths in recent seasons.  The playoffs are a crapshoot, and they are often won by a team hitting form late on and gate crashing the party late in the day. 

39 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I wouldn’t expect them to last more than a season in the PL, but I think they’ve got a really good chance in the playoffs if they qualify.  I don’t think the second division is any worse than most years tbf - a really good Burnley side is romping home, but Sheff Utd, Luton, the smoggies etc look decent enough.  Plenty wrote off the Brentfords and Bournemouths in recent seasons.  The playoffs are a crapshoot, and they are often won by a team hitting form late on and gate crashing the party late in the day. 

Is this actually the case though? Thought that, despite what it feels like, the majority of time the third placed club goes up?

Have no idea if this is true. 

14 minutes ago, Hovagod said:

Is this actually the case though? Thought that, despite what it feels like, the majority of time the third placed club goes up?

Have no idea if this is true. 

It’s an interesting little spread (I think anyway) - if you take it from when the playoffs changed to second division only in 88-89, the winners finished as follows:

3rd: 12 times

4th: 7 times

5th: 8 times

6th: 7 times

As expected, 3rd is the most common finish for the winners … but.  It is skewed slightly by a period of sustained success by 3rd placed sides around 2010, when they won 5 out of 7.  Before that run, 6th was the most common position for the winners(!) - but 6th placed teams haven’t won it since.  Other than that short period, it’s a complete lottery.  Here are the last 10 years:

5th; 4th; 3rd; 4th; 5th; 3rd; 5th; 4th; 3rd; 4th

Never the same two years in a row.  

Yeah, it's fascinating. Crystal Palace under Dowie are always cited an an example of a team going on a great run, just sneaking in, but having the momentum heading into the playoffs, but on the other hand, teams can and will approach the final regular league games differently. 

Huddersfield pushed us and Brighton for large parts during the 2016/17 season and I'd say they were clearly the 3rd best team in the league that year, but they ended up finishing 5th. They lost a few games in March and April to allow us and Brighton to pull away, and then they only took 4 points from their last 5 games, but they were in a position to kind of do what they wanted in those games - they weren't getting top 2 at that stage, but they also weren't finishing below 6th.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C._season#Matches

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39676171

The above BBC link is their penultimate match of the season and Birmingham went down to 10 men after 20 mins, but scored twice after that and won 2-0 with Huddersfield using their squad how they saw fit. 

Huddersfield, who made 10 changes after being assured a play-off place with Tuesday's 1-0 win at Wolves, drop two places to fifth ahead of next Sunday's final home game against ex-Terriers boss Neil Warnock's Cardiff.

I think if Sunderland did get into the playoffs then they would clearly go into them in form, with momentum, and they would make their home match a big event / spectacle, so I'd think they'd have as good as chance as any to come through them, but then the likes of Luton and Boro could use their squad in the final couple of games, like Huddersfield, and be more rested for them, so it's very hard to call, and like the old cliche, pretty much a lottery. Notts County might in the National League (and they'd be an exception), but very few sides will go into the playoff semi finals and be odds on to get promoted.

Edited by Paullow

In the history of the Championship play offs no team that has been on 61 points after 42 games have actually made it into the play offs that season.

Nee ideas if that's true, I just hope some mackem twat reads it and shits his pants.

None of the play-off contenders are in any kind of form you'd associate with promotion worthy. Preston were the only ones. Otherwise they're all on a one/two in six/seven record.

We lost 3 in 22 and had a seven game win streak at this point the one time we were in the play-offs.

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s an interesting little spread (I think anyway) - if you take it from when the playoffs changed to second division only in 88-89, the winners finished as follows:

3rd: 12 times

4th: 7 times

5th: 8 times

6th: 7 times

As expected, 3rd is the most common finish for the winners … but.  It is skewed slightly by a period of sustained success by 3rd placed sides around 2010, when they won 5 out of 7.  Before that run, 6th was the most common position for the winners(!) - but 6th placed teams haven’t won it since.  Other than that short period, it’s a complete lottery.  Here are the last 10 years:

5th; 4th; 3rd; 4th; 5th; 3rd; 5th; 4th; 3rd; 4th

Never the same two years in a row.  

Probably a lot of it is down to momentum and how you finish the season, If you get into third by winning your last game having been fighting to stay in the play-offs you are probably in a decent mindset. If you've chased automatics for weeks and still miss out despite comfortably going onto finish third or lower, it probably kills it the other way.

I remember us playing Lincoln under Johnson in the playoffs, We were chasing second for ages then only won one of the last nine including not winning at home in any of the last three home games. We ended up finishing fourth on a run of shit form and then got knocked out in the semis.

If you sneak 6th and play a team that chased the automatics until the very end you probably have a good chance.

Edited by TeddySAFC

4 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Probably a lot of it is down to momentum and how you finish the season, If you get into third by winning your last game having been fighting to stay in the play-offs you are probably in a decent mindset. If you've chased automatics for weeks and still miss out despite comfortably going onto finish third or lower, it probably kills it the other way.

I remember us playing Lincoln under Johnson in the playoffs, We were chasing second for ages then only won one of the last nine including not winning at home in any of the last three home games. We ended up finishing fourth on a run of shit form and then got knocked out in the semis.

If you sneak 6th and play a team that chased the automatics until the very end you probably have a good chance.

Just like in 1990 ya scruffy buggers :lol:

6 hours ago, Wilson said:

I'd happily see them languish in mediocrity forever, however for selfish reasons (66/1 on them to win the playoffs) I think I'd like them to come up :lol: this year. 

I get just over £1,500 if they come up from a few scattered low money bets totalling around £15. I put £2 on them to 'win the playoffs' at SkyBet just before they beat Cardiff at 250/1 (wish I put more on) and have a few other similar bets, but I'd still rather they didn't come up :lol: