sunderland in the EFL

Big River

Fans are definitely a millstone round the club's neck. Constantly disgusted and outraged by anything and everything, constant negativity and a huge inferiority complex from the vast majority of them. 

Wonder how long it'll be before Doddsy's luck runs out and he's the next one ran out of town by the massive lads fans with flaming torches.

Personally I've got loads of time for Wally Mick Beale, he came in, let us breeze to a nice comfy derby win, pissed the mackems off, didn't pull up any trees at all and then fucked off. Will go down as one of the great mackem managers.

5 minutes ago, midds said:

Fans are definitely a millstone round the club's neck. Constantly disgusted and outraged by anything and everything, constant negativity and a huge inferiority complex from the vast majority of them. 

If they charged the standard rate for tickets, I'm guessing that the "fanbase" that makes them stand out from the rest would be nowhere near as high.

1 hour ago, Nucasol said:

And the seasons before under Poyet, Advocaat, Di Canio etc?

I'm not sure what you are asking, We didn't go down under any of them managers.

I was responding to the poster who said we went down because we didn't have the derbies to focus on, Which is an absolute load of bollocks and one of the most mental things I have heard for our demise in recent years.

Edited by TeddySAFC

You can kind of understand the logic of one of the shittest clubs in league football (Chelsea) changing manager every season pretty much. It’s an appalling approach but it has brought them success because they always poured in ridiculous amounts of money for every manager and they had a loan system that completely abused the entire football pyramid worldwide. For Sunderland to be using the same model is frankly nonsensical 

2 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

I was responding to the poster who said we went down because we didn't have the derbies to focus on, Which is an absolute load of bollocks and one of the most mental things I have heard for our demise in recent years.

Your wins against us kept you up for years, and papered over the cracks. Had you not had them you'd have been down a lot sooner, and wouldn't have fell so hard. Ironically the season were not there you go down. Happy coincidence, I'm sure.

Just now, Dokko said:

Your wins against us kept you up for years, and papered over the cracks. Had you not had them you'd have been down a lot sooner, and wouldn't have fell so hard. Ironically the season were not there you go down. Happy coincidence, I'm sure.

One of our best seasons was finishing 13th under Keane in the PL and you weren't even in the same league, Our best finish in years was 10th under Bruce and we lost the derby 5-1 and only managed a point with a last minute equaliser in the home leg.

To suggest the reason we were eventually relegated because Newcastle were already down and we had 'nothing to focus on' is absolutely bananas, We were relegated that season because of the reasons I posted above.

There's absolutely no argument that the manager bounce seasons papered over the cracks, Everyone is / was well aware of that and we would have 100% been down sooner had we stuck with one of the managers, again though suggesting that because their was no derby eventually sealed our fate is mental. We finished bottom, winning 6 games all season and signed absolute garbage.

Generally how things work is that if managers aren't doing very well, They get sacked. We have continiously employed shite managers and therefore, they've been sacked.

How many managers have we had that have been sacked have went on to other clubs and done well? I can't think of one, Advocaat maybe and he was here 5 minutes. All managers we have peddled have went on to be peddled by numerous other clubs, The issue is continuously who we have brought in.

4 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

One of our best seasons was finishing 13th under Keane in the PL and you weren't even in the same league, Our best finish in years was 10th under Bruce and we lost the derby 5-1 and only managed a point with a last minute equaliser in the home leg.

To suggest the reason we were eventually relegated because Newcastle were already down and we had 'nothing to focus on' is absolutely bananas, We were relegated that season because of the reasons I posted above.

There's absolutely no argument that the manager bounce seasons papered over the cracks, Everyone is / was well aware of that and we would have 100% been down sooner had we stuck with one of the managers, again though suggesting that because their was no derby eventually sealed our fate is mental. We finished bottom, winning 6 games all season and signed absolute garbage.

Generally how things work is that if managers aren't doing very well, They get sacked. We have continiously employed shite managers and therefore, they've been sacked.

How many managers have we had that have been sacked have went on to other clubs and done well? I can't think of one, Advocaat maybe and he was here 5 minutes. All managers we have peddled have went on to be peddled by numerous other clubs, The issue is continuously who we have brought in.

Fair post 

Beale is some kind of chancer, like. For the supposed 'brains' behind Gerrard, which admittedly doesn't say a lot, the fact he's rocked up at all at Rangers and other Champo jobs is some doing.

Perfect for the Mackems mind

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Beale is some kind of chancer, like. For the supposed 'brains' behind Gerrard, which admittedly doesn't say a lot, the fact he's rocked up at all at Rangers and other Champo jobs is some doing.

Perfect for the Mackems mind

His tactics for the derby were mining, its like he asked Alimron and Gordon how they would like Sunderland to play 

20 hours ago, Izakaya said:

After watching the latest season of STID, my overriding feeling now is that of pity. I just feel sorry for them. 

RIP to that Ian Wake fella too. Poor bloke didn't have much but adored that football club and that has to be strongly admired. 

Also, I may have been away from the NE for too long, but does everyone in Sunderland seem to have the same fat, white, pallid sagging faces and yellow teeth? Lord they're monstrous. 

:lol: I involuntarily pumped my fist when a goal of theirs went in and I def cried a bit when Ian passed, but I don't mind that. Still like S1 the most because of how shit they are and the shambles behind the scenes, but the latest season was the worst because I like them now?

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

Which managers weren't given enough time?

When he was with us (Villa), he came with a big reputation as a proper thinker and the brains behind Gerrard.

As it turned out, Gerrard had absolutely no brains whatsoever.

Anyway, for all his coaching achievements, Beale - as he who did all the training (according to Emi Martinez in an interview) - really got us playing in such an inflexible way, one which clearly wasn't going to work, and which he was never prepared to change, it was a relief when he fucked off to be a manager.

Knowing what Gerrard was like - archaic management by soundbite or cliche, lots of waffle about 'we need a moment of magic', alienating Tyrone Mings (a player the fans love and vital around the club) for absolutely no reason, lots and lots of other things - Beale must have happily played a part in that and bought into it as a management method.

Judging on what has happened with him since, the apple clearly doesn't fall too far from the tree.

3 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

His point stands? [emoji38]

He said fans were fawning after him after he won three games on the spin, He didn't even manage to win back to back games man never mind three, He was absolutely garbage.

Absolutely dog shit appointment which everyone except whoever made the decision knew was a disaster in progress and only going to get worse

10 minutes ago, Ben said:

His tactics for the derby were mining, its like he asked Alimron and Gordon how they would like Sunderland to play 

Yeah - tunneling under the pitch was never gonna work :bluestar:

Edited by Lazarus

19 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

newFile.jpg?width=1200&height=1200&fit=c

70129741-12003119-image-a-43_16821971419

43 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

I disagree. You did have the comfort blanket of “beating the Mags”, six in a row, scraping by and finishing 16th or 17th with that endorphin rush and smugness of six points from us. I take your point on Allardyce but as long as your fans were happy to plod along beating us, it masked the issues that were bubbling away.

A few years ago I went to the SoL for the Tony Jeffries boxing card, Summer Rumble. The thing that struck me, and I mentioned it to my father in law (B&W) and our R&W mate, was all the photos in the corporate space, bar one FA Cup one, were of you beating us. Gates & Gabbiadini, Quinn, Phillips, Hutchinson, Richardson. The equivalent space at SJP was Barca, Man Utd, the Fairs Cup, Tino v Metz, none of SAFC. 

Going back as far as Bruce only Mowbray (by 6%) and O'Neill (by less than 2%) have a better win percentage in the top two divisions for them. A string of managers getting the same basic results doesn't seem a coincidence. This is what they are and what they have been for generations. Its hardly like its out of order for them to do pretty much what everyone else has in living memory.

1 hour ago, TeddySAFC said:

I never said you went down because we weren't there. I said it was previously those wins which kept you up and a happy coincidence that you went down when we weren't there. There's no way to know, but that's not my argument and never was; those wins allowed that papering over the cracks and you poured bad money after bad chasing 17th place and eventually nearly lost your club because of it (which I'm sure you'll agree to at least some extent)

You're very lucky short wrote off that debt, not sure where ffp was, probably too early to haul you over the coals, but these days it would surely be an unfair advantage and they'd probably kick you out the league regardless. You still paid with chancers knocking at your door, and still paying now with a kid out his depth. It'll be a long time before you see those days of chasing 17th, especially if the fans keep staying away.

Interesting times anyway. You got what you wanted (this week at least) you never know form was good under Dodds but there was no pressure, it's all a bit fucked in 8 weeks and yes, the handling of the derby played a huge part of that. It's totally derailed your season as the fan hate from the fallout made anything but the perfect appointment impossible. 

1 hour ago, TeddySAFC said:

What league were we in then? Keane resigned in December 2008 and we were not relegated until the end of 2008/09 season.