sunderland in the EFL

Big River

59 minutes ago, BlueStar said:

Unrelated, I like the fact they call us the Mags, wish supporters of other clubs did as well but its mostly just us and them.

we-are-the-mags-surfer-flag-close-up-newcastle-united-nufc-1120.jpg

Never understood this either tbh, we call them sad mackem bastards (personally I prefer 'scruffs down the road' but whatever).... They call us our 'nickname'.  Do they think it annoys us or something?

2 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Never understood this either tbh, we call them sad mackem bastards (personally I prefer 'scruffs down the road' but whatever).... They call us our 'nickname'.  Do they think it annoys us or something?

Well the fact that they even call themselves Mackems is a joke in itself. It was an underhand name that Geordies gave them. I think it’s because they lack identity, so were desperate to have a nickname…bit like the Smoggies too. 

47 minutes ago, Wilson said:

Growing up 70s and 80s Mackem was an insult. I mean you wouldn't call a Sunderland fan  a Mackem if you thought he could kick your arse.

19 minutes ago, madras said:

Growing up 70s and 80s Mackem was an insult. I mean you wouldn't call a Sunderland fan  a Mackem if you thought he could kick your arse.

Absolutely. Calling anyone a makem, whether they were red n white or black n white in 70's Boldon and you were asking for bother. 

3 hours ago, Cattletrucked said:

Well the fact that they even call themselves Mackems is a joke in itself. It was an underhand name that Geordies gave them. I think it’s because they lack identity, so were desperate to have a nickname…bit like the Smoggies too. 

People I know who support sunlun and don’t live in or near sunlun are are never happy when they’re called mackems.

3 hours ago, Cattletrucked said:

This

2 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

People I know who support sunlun and don’t live in or near sunlun are are never happy when they’re called mackems.

Another observation if I may…. appreciate some of these lunatics may originate from Newcastle but Christ, they hate us using the word Geordie don’t they…it’s like something else that makes them feel inferior… hence their adoption of the word Mackem… the older ones from Sunderland fuckin hate the word and won’t be associated with it.. Imagine the meltdown if this discussion appeared on that daft forum… exile and sofatester going head to head in a weeezyeyaside death match… 

Personally I blame the 1993ers…

I feel bad because a mackem mate of myself and WBCP keeps asking me for the lowdown on imminent new signings and...... they're just nobodies. Generally, I have good knowledge of players but these guys? Random strings of letters churned out of Premier League reserve benches :lol:

2 hours ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

So does that mean if we'd have won last night they would have accepted it as a trophy? I somehow think not.. 

Naa. And not as important as the Marramates trophy they give themselves every year for the amount of respect they have from fans across the country.

19 hours ago, llcoolc157 said:

That’s exactly what I can’t understand. Mackem was always a derogatory term that we used for them…. Just shows how fucked up they are when they choose it as a nickname… 

Well they chose the 'official' nickname of 'Black Cats' based on the square root of sod all. It's not like they're exactly lucky!

1 minute ago, gjohnson said:

Well they chose the 'official' nickname of 'Black Cats' based on the square root of sod all. It's not like they're exactly lucky!

Well if they chose the more apt nickname of Sad Bastards, might not have went down so well with the  fans.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Well if they chose the more apt nickname of Sad Bastards, might not have went down so well with the  fans.

Well they literally did that with "mackems".

Any signing that they have made this summer has not popped up on any of my social media, I literally don't know of any players they have signed, TBF I can say the same about Gateshead and Hartlepool 

They’ll finish comfortably mid to lower mid table this season imo. They have a lot of hungry young players and a manager that’s better than most of the dross near the bottom end of the league, unfortunately.  

Edited by McCormick