sunderland in the EFL

Big River

7 hours ago, The Fountain said:

Only 3rd because the top teams aren't performing and we'll be mid table next season.

They've ruined my night.

Tbf we might well struggle to repeat this season if we're playing in Europe next year too, and I think we need to accept and prepare for that and not overreact if we do drop off a bit next year.

But I'd take that problem every single year. It's a fabulous one to have.

Why would we struggle next season?  Even with European football, if we are able to maintain the position we are currently in this season...  We are no longer owned by Mike Ashley, we have good owners who are prepared to invest into the team and the club.  Our future is considerably brighter than it has been for many years...  

I know it is going to take a while for most of us to shake Ashley out of our systems but, he's gone, long gone in fact!!  We are a different club now.

3 minutes ago, pinkeye said:

Why would we struggle next season?  

I dunno, why did we struggle after finishing fifth? Why are West Ham struggling this season? Why are arsenal NOT struggling this season and doing better than expected? Went are we consistently punching above our weight?

Just look through the history of the league, it's replete with examples of teams doing worse the season after qualifying for Europe, or conversely doing better when they can just focus on the league.

Sure some teams are affected less if they can build a great and deep squad, and we might well do that in the summer, but it's no guarantee and if we still have some gaps in the squad next season and don't challenge for the top 4 again, people need to not shit the bed.

16 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

I dunno, why did we struggle after finishing fifth? Why are West Ham struggling this season? Why are arsenal NOT struggling this season and doing better than expected? Went are we consistently punching above our weight?

Just look through the history of the league, it's replete with examples of teams doing worse the season after qualifying for Europe, or conversely doing better when they can just focus on the league.

Sure some teams are affected less if they can build a great and deep squad, and we might well do that in the summer, but it's no guarantee and if we still have some gaps in the squad next season and don't challenge for the top 4 again, people need to not shit the bed.

Fair points and you are right, many teams qualify for Europe and do struggle.  I feel that the way our club is now being managed and the plans our owners seem to have for us might be enough for us to buck that trend.  We seem to not just buy for the sake of it, we buy a player when he will improve us, if the target is not available or wont come we move to plan B - or - do not buy at all.  Rather buy a target than a terrible compromise.  (See Wout Weghorst for a very good example, or indeed Chris Wood just to show that we are not immune but, should have learned from that!)

Though I fear the same regarding fixtures via Europe we somehow managed a long run in the Champions League (1game away from the Quarter Finals) and 3rd under Sir Bobby - with a squad equally ahead of schedule and not quite built for it. (Lua-Lua and Ameobi up front at Leverkusen ffs).

Yet at the same time the UEFA cup run to the semi's the following season cost us 4th, on fumes the last few months.

Mixed blessing and I'd expect to drop back in the PL until a few more windows down the road.

They've done an open training session at the SoL this morning and charged £2 for adults to enter, is that not a bit weird? Clearly too skint to cover the cost of any stewards that might be required or concourse staff.

Edited by KDT

6 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Tbf we might well struggle to repeat this season if we're playing in Europe next year too, and I think we need to accept and prepare for that and not overreact if we do drop off a bit next year.

But I'd take that problem every single year. It's a fabulous one to have.

Don't we just buy more players to cover the tired one?

43 minutes ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Best get these lads on long term contracts ASAP 

Makams.jpeg

Might as well give them beheddie whilst we are at it I guess.

It would be an honour.

5 minutes ago, The Fountain said:

How the hell are we 3rd with shit players and a shit manager?

The opposition keep not turning up against us, every single week for the last 18 months.

Keep up.