sunderland in the EFL

Big River

16 minutes ago, Pandamninator said:

Even though he has spent 60 years denying all association and seems a bit of a tosser, Bobby Charlton would be it surely.

Yeah, definitely in terms of winning everything.  Jack won pretty much everything at Leeds, but not the European Cup of course.  In terms of numbers, Paully made a good shout re Carrick.

It has got me thinking now - which NE player is the most successful (club football only)?  In terms of rules, League Cup wins for tie breaks, and no counting Charity / Community Shields (I’m not Jose Mourinho).

In thinking about it, I reckon it’s probably Ray Kennedy (rather than Alan).  

32 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Just checked Ray Kennedy: three European Cups, two Fairs / UEFA Cups, six league titles, one FA Cup, one league cup.

Not bad

Catts for me like.

2 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Yeah but who are we to talk. Were not as big as Blackburn, Preston or Leicester.

Screenshot 2023-07-21 at 13-55-56 NUFC_Sportswashing compendium thread - Summer 2023.png

Let the inbred fucks wallow in the lower leagues as their fewm metre goes off the scale. It's absolutely destroying them inside with what is happening 12 miles or so down the road. The faux outrage and utter hate is on overdrive and is glorious to see. 

12 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

:)

Funny thing is that it’s literally not true.  I would have thought that would be someone like Alan Kennedy - who of course played for both clubs (and a Mackem by birth).  Scored the winning goal in two European Cup finals (albeit one in a shootout) - not bad for a left back. 

Or Ray Kennedy 

Just now, RS said:

2024 is their next crack at playing in the premier league. How long have massive sunlun been out of it by then?

They'll not make top 6 this season like. Don't think they'll ever have a better chance of going back up as the one they threw away at Luton. 

50 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Post 22.

The truth is however that Sunderland are a bigger club than most of the premier league.

[emoji38]

In terms of a fan base they are. Fan bases don't matter nowadays though at the top level in terms of finances.. It's about being a well run club.

I think having a great fam base can get a bit more out of the team though.

1 minute ago, relámpago blanco said:

In terms of a fan base they are. Fan bases don't matter nowadays though at the top level in terms of finances.. It's about being a well run club.

Is that fan base thing true though ? Even on there one of their own says about how much cheaper they are, I think he uses SWFC and Southampton as comparisons and would that fan base still be there if they were charged the same ?

4 minutes ago, madras said:

Is that fan base thing true though ? Even on there one of their own says about how much cheaper they are, I think he uses SWFC and Southampton as comparisons and would that fan base still be there if they were charged the same ?

I don't know but they have a very passionate fan base.  If you go into a pub in Southampton (I worked there, same as where I live no in Brighton) and talk to someone they won't always bring up their football team. If you speak to a mackem one of the first things they will talk about is SAFC.

Just now, relámpago blanco said:

I don't know but they have a very passionate fan base.  If you go into a pub in Southampton (I worked there, same as where I live no in Brighton) and talk to someone they won't always bring up their football team. If you speak to a mackem one of the first things they will talk about is SAFC.

They do, undoubtedly, I've got mates are ST holders. There travelling support is up there with ours but week in week out, would those numbers be there if charging the same as others ?

36 minutes ago, relámpago blanco said:

Not so sure about that like. You're talking about a club who have hardly ever filled their stadium, even when they were in the Premier league, despite giving away loads of free tickets to schools and selling cheap tickets to everyone else. If they had such a big fanbase, surely they'd be able to fill their own stadium more regularly?

56 minutes ago, madras said:

They do, undoubtedly, I've got mates are ST holders. There travelling support is up there with ours but week in week out, would those numbers be there if charging the same as others ?

I don't know, its not that affluent an area but the passion is there.

Bournemouth, Brentford, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Luton.

They're bigger than all of those I'd say, and I don't even think it's close at least in terms of size of fanbase. A throwaway comment of "we're bigger than half of them" doesn't look *that* daft really.

6 hours ago, Scoot said:

Post 22.

The truth is however that Sunderland are a bigger club than most of the premier league.

[emoji38]

Based on things that don't count with us (fan numbers) and things that don't count at all (Europe and the last 60years) they probably are

Think when Brighton play their 5th European game this season there will be over 30 English clubs to have played more European football than Sunderland. Now not many big clubs can boast that.

Edited by Jonas

2 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Bournemouth, Brentford, Brighton, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Luton.

They're bigger than all of those I'd say, and I don't even think it's close at least in terms of size of fanbase. A throwaway comment of "we're bigger than half of them" doesn't look *that* daft really.

Yeah, they definitely are.  The bit that sticks in their craw is that we're bigger than them, too - they oscillate between 'we're a massive club' and 'the Mags aren't as big as Preston or Leicester' etc etc.

Sunderland are one of the twenty biggest clubs in the country, quite comfortably for me.  The issue is that we're one of the seven or eight biggest - and that number is likely to be narrower in a couple of years, whereas sunderland are nowhere near that.  Sunderland are of similar size to Sheff Wed etc - they've got more in common with them than the country's 'top ten' biggest clubs.