sunderland

Big River

Can't see why any Newcastle fan would want them up personally like :lol:. It's normal to want a rival to do as worse as they realistically can.

They have kept their season alive, but it will still be fairly tough to make the top 6. You probably would expect them to win their next 2, but then again Norwich drew at home to Rotherham today, WBA drew at home to out of sorts QPR, after losing to Rotherham the other day, so they are not tied to win both matches, but even if they did, they probably would still have to get something away to WBA - there's just not much margin for error for them. If they did win 4 of their last 5 then, with their decent GD, they probably would get there, but then that would also be 5 wins from their last 6 matches and you'd have to say fair enough.

There's no outright odds up yet with Championship matches still ongoing, but they will still be significant outsiders at the bookies to make the top 6. As Newcastle fans, it just seems that it is aligning for them at this moment.

Edited by Paullow

Luton and Preston are in good form, but after that, none of the other playoff contenders seem to be able to put a run together.

Middlesbrough have 5 points from their last 5 games

Millwall have 2 points from their last 4, and haven't scored in any of them

Blackburn have 1 point from their last 3, or 4 from their last 5

Norwich have 5 points from their last 6

Coventry have 1 point in their last 3, or 7 in their last 6

WBA have 3 points from their last 4

Watford have 2 from last 4, or 6 from their last 8

So most of these teams aren't even averaging a point per game at the business end of the season. Mind, Sunderland themselves, even after today, have only won 2 or taken 10 points from their last 10, and this was their first win in 5, so a few more points, or even not conceding that last second pen to Hull the other day, and it could have looked a lot better for them.

Edited by Paullow

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/top-6-finish

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/to-make-the-playoffs

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/promotion

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/championship/to-win-the-playoffs

Still significant underdogs to make / win the playoffs, as expected, and an opportunity for some to make some decent money should they wish to back something they don't want to happen. Obviously if they won their next two games they would generally come in a fair bit (depending on how others did of course).

Not sure why SkyBet have them 33/1 to be promoted, but 66/1 to win the playoffs. They mathematically can't finish in the top 2 so unless there's points deductions galore, they should surely be the same odds :lol:. I got 250/1 for them to win the playoffs at SB last night (which again was far higher than their general promotion odds).

100/1 seems the best odds currently for them to be promoted.

2 hours ago, enthusiast said:

the derby's fucking mint and anybody who can't hack it can officially consider themselves RATTLED by six-in-a-row

get 'em back up so we can't start battering shite out of em twice a season

It has nothing to do with enjoying/not enjoying the derbies, or six in a row. It’s about thoroughly enjoying their misery and frustration of being a club forgotten about in the wilderness. That is much more satisfying than any derby win and long may it continue.

Even if they come up, before a ball would be kicked in the derby, we already know without question that NUFC are bigger and better than them. We don’t need them to be promoted to have that particular question answered.

Haven't they only won like 6 or 7 at home all season?

Shows how mediocre the league is this season. If they did go up, which is very hard to see happening, surely they'd be better off going straight back down and getting the parachute payment to build on. They certainly don't have the money to do what Forest are gambling on.

21 minutes ago, Karjala said:

Haven't they only won like 6 or 7 at home all season?

Shows how mediocre the league is this season. If they did go up, which is very hard to see happening, surely they'd be better off going straight back down and getting the parachute payment to build on. They certainly don't have the money to do what Forest are gambling on.

No side is ever better off going straight back down, that's just an absurd suggestion 

However if they get promoted they will have a decision to make, spend within their means so if they did get relegated it's not damaging or do a version of Forest, spend big but it's risky and going down could then be damaging 

3 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

No side is ever better off going straight back down, that's just an absurd suggestion 

However if they get promoted they will have a decision to make, spend within their means so if they did get relegated it's not damaging or do a version of Forest, spend big but it's risky and going down could then be damaging 

Depends how you look at it. I think when we went down last time we came back stronger for it. Shipped out a lot of the mercenaries and brought in some really solid pros, some who we still have on the books although they are no longer regular starters.

Burnley have gone down and look like they are rebuilding the right way which they might not have done if they were still in the Prem and having to make decisions with the threat of relegation there.

Of you then have the likes of Sunderland who were a complete basket case and went down, then went down again [emoji38]

11 hours ago, Paullow said:

Luton and Preston are in good form, but after that, none of the other playoff contenders seem to be able to put a run together.

Middlesbrough have 5 points from their last 5 games

Millwall have 2 points from their last 4, and haven't scored in any of them

Blackburn have 1 point from their last 3, or 4 from their last 5

Norwich have 5 points from their last 6

Coventry have 1 point in their last 3, or 7 in their last 6

WBA have 3 points from their last 4

Watford have 2 from last 4, or 6 from their last 8

So most of these teams aren't even averaging a point per game at the business end of the season. Mind, Sunderland themselves, even after today, have only won 2 or taken 10 points from their last 10, and this was their first win in 5, so a few more points, or even not conceding that last second pen to Hull the other day, and it could have looked a lot better for them.

The last four times Sunderland met Luton it’s ended in a 1 - 1 draw and they also beat boro so if they were to scrape it in then there is a very good chance they win it, they certainly won’t be scared of anyone anyway.

4 hours ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

Deleted

Edited by Gawalls

11 hours ago, TheHoob said:

Used to love the derbies like, until the last couple when I'd completely given up any hope [emoji38]

Would love to draw them in a cup, fuck them getting promoted though. 

I've never liked them.  Even though I was mid-20s before we lost an away game against them; even with long runs of wins, I fucking hate derby days.  Yes, Pardew and co's risible derby performances leading to six defeats on the bounce wasn't pleasant - but then, winning non-stop against them didn't remove the anxiety-fueled sickness I'd feel until FT.

I can't see us making the play-offs, Our home form has been poor all season and we have missed key players for a large chunk of it.

Hopefully a few decent signings in the summer and we can give it a real crack next season, very good season regardless all things considered. 

Just now, TeddySAFC said:

I can't see us making the play-offs, Our home form has been poor all season and we have missed key players for a large chunk of it.

Hopefully a few decent signings in the summer and we can give it a real crack next season, very good season regardless all things considered. 

It's been an excellent season, considering you came up through the back door. A lot of work has gone on to get you competitive on the pitch with a good blend players. Quite possibly tougher next season looking at what could be coming down, and loans return, but could see you back up in 2 or 3 seasons if everything goes right. I didn't see that at the start of the season and didn't think the ownership had it in them....not with the chancers still hanging around. 

1 minute ago, Dokko said:

It's been an excellent season, considering you came up through the back door. A lot of work has gone on to get you competitive on the pitch with a good blend players. Quite possibly tougher next season looking at what could be coming down, and loans return, but could see you back up in 2 or 3 seasons if everything goes right. I didn't see that at the start of the season and didn't think the ownership had it in them....not with the chancers still hanging around. 

Absolutely, I wasn't even sure we would survive to be honest but it looks like a few of our players seem more suited to the Championship than the cloggers in League One.

We probably need to strengthen through the core of the side over the summer and actually buy some strikers, criminal the way we have been left since January without a proper goalscorer.

Looks like Donald is being phased out bit by bit, Can't wait until he's gone for good.

11 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

Absolutely, I wasn't even sure we would survive to be honest but it looks like a few of our players seem more suited to the Championship than the cloggers in League One.

We probably need to strengthen through the core of the side over the summer and actually buy some strikers, criminal the way we have been left since January without a proper goalscorer.

Looks like Donald is being phased out bit by bit, Can't wait until he's gone for good.

Do you think if Stewart isn't injured you make the playoffs?  It isn't over yet, but I'd be looking at a couple of those draws and wondering if they could have been wins with a proper centre forward

Watched the game yesterday, and it was a deserved win. Have to say, Diallo looked a class above everyone else on the pitch, and will be hard to replace if his loan ends at the end of the season.

On the other hand, you may get a striker in, or back to fitness and the difference that makes to a team from front to back is incredible.

It'll be an interesting championship next season - probably because it's so hard to call the PL relegation battle. By which I mean, there will be a few decent sides in the mix who you wouldn't normally expect to have gone down.

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Do you think if Stewart isn't injured you make the playoffs?  It isn't over yet, but I'd be looking at a couple of those draws and wondering if they could have been wins with a proper centre forward

100% - Stewart is brilliant, Just hope he signs a new deal as he would be almost impossible to replace unless we chucked some money at it.

We are just too young and naïve I think this season, We have chucked so many points away with last minute goals and what not. There was also two home games that we had against Blackpool and Preston when we had neither Stewart or Simms which would probably have been a different story if they'd been playing.

1 minute ago, Abacus said:

Watched the game yesterday, and it was a deserved win. Have to say, Diallo looked a class above everyone else on the pitch, and will be hard to replace if his loan ends at the end of the season.

On the other hand, you may get a striker in, or back to fitness and the difference that makes to a team from front to back is incredible.

It'll be an interesting championship next season - probably because it's so hard to call the PL relegation battle. By which I mean, there will be a few decent sides in the mix who you wouldn't normally expect to have gone down.

Even yesterday our play in the final third was shocking, We should have won comfortably but ended up just scraping the win.

Stewart has been such a miss, not even just for his goals but he presses from the front, gives you an outlet when you want to knock it long and his hold up play is brilliant, He's no slouch either. We've missed him badly. He's also canny when defending set pieces as we are a team of midgets with the players we have out.

Edited by TeddySAFC

3 minutes ago, TeddySAFC said:

100% - Stewart is brilliant, Just hope he signs a new deal as he would be almost impossible to replace unless we chucked some money at it.

We are just too young and naïve I think this season, We have chucked so many points away with last minute goals and what not. There was also two home games that we had against Blackpool and Preston when we had neither Stewart or Simms which would probably have been a different story if they'd been playing.

Yeah, it was a bizarre call by your board not to recruit a centre forward in January - I imagine almost any half decent second tier forward would have done, really.  It is still tight for the 5th and 6th slots - and there is usually at least one side which comes into the playoffs with a late surge.  I'm got a funny feeling that side might be West Brom, though anyone down to Watford I wouldn't write off (and this is allowing for PNE having a cracking run of form lately).  There is no reason that can't be sunderland, of course - though you'll have to understand that I'd be happier if it wasn't :) 

10 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yeah, it was a bizarre call by your board not to recruit a centre forward in January - I imagine almost any half decent second tier forward would have done, really.  It is still tight for the 5th and 6th slots - and there is usually at least one side which comes into the playoffs with a late surge.  I'm got a funny feeling that side might be West Brom, though anyone down to Watford I wouldn't write off (and this is allowing for PNE having a cracking run of form lately).  There is no reason that can't be sunderland, of course - though you'll have to understand that I'd be happier if it wasn't :) 

We need to win the next two which are very winnable but then we would have huge pressure on us to continue that run of form against WBA, Watford and Preston who all have play off aspirations themselves. It would take an incredible run of around 5 wins and a draw from the last 6 to make it and I don't think we are quite good enough to do that with the players we have available.

2 hours ago, TeddySAFC said:

We need to win the next two which are very winnable but then we would have huge pressure on us to continue that run of form against WBA, Watford and Preston who all have play off aspirations themselves. It would take an incredible run of around 5 wins and a draw from the last 6 to make it and I don't think we are quite good enough to do that with the players we have available.

I think you's will do it you know. I'm potentially getting carried away given your form (despite not losing too many) hasn't been great for a 5/6 weeks, but I think everything just fell into place yesterday. Even Friday too - if you's had held on.

Norwich not winning is huge given they have Boro away at the weekend, although Boro seem to be a tad deflated lately. There's a few around you who play each other too, so if you can win the next 2 it really will go down to the wire.

Based on what I've seen you're better than Milwall & Coventry and you've recently beat Norwich, so nowt to fear. If you can get into the playoffs winning 5 out of 6 (which you may well need) then that's cracking momentum for the games ahead. It obviously doesn't help that there's a few teams above you, but if you can go into the final 3 games with it in your hands you'd have to fancy you really.

Good luck - but not too much!