Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

Like the cut of Barnes' jib. Not a game where we had loads of the ball but liked his intent when he got it. Wilson already getting onto him about getting crosses in - love it.

See Bruno has been getting some stick but I thought he played well [emoji38] three really nice passes to Barnesy in particular. 

I’d imagine Eddie will use the Sela Cup thing to play a near full strength team at some point. I’m not saying that places are up for grabs but, we’ve now got some competition for most places.

We look after Miley and who knows what he’ll be in a couple of years.

2 minutes ago, Paullow said:

It was Alex Murphy's assist for the 2nd goal, but I still don't know who did the decent work down the right to contribute to the equaliser.

Jacob Murphy assist for second wasn't it?

By my reckoning, If Villa lose to Brentford later and Chelsea draw 0-0 with Fulham then we'll be bringing home the prestigious 'Premier League Summer Series' :cool:.

If Chelsea draw 1-1 (and Villa lose) then it will probably be shared because we (us and Chelsea) will both have 5 points, scored 6, conceded 5 and drew in the H2H meeting, unless there's some other tie breaker that Wiki is not aware of. Not that it matters, but Villa probably favourites at this stage heading into their final match tomorrow. 

7 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Jacob Murphy assist for second wasn't it?

Most likely if two are saying it :lol:. Thought it was Alex for some reason. I'll blame it on staying up late when full of cold, ha.

Edit - yeah defo Jacob. Must have just saw NUFCs tweet say 'Murphy's pass and Anderson's finish' and completely forgot about Jacob :lol:

Edited by Paullow

3 minutes ago, Paullow said:

Most likely if two are saying it :lol:. Thought it was Alex for some reason. I'll blame it on staying up late when full of cold, ha.

Is it Ben Parkinson doing the work down the right for Anderson's 1st?

4 hours ago, KingArthur said:

First time I saw Barnes for NUFC, and he will be so irritating to watch I think. Cannot always try to cut in to your right foot..

Won't be as irritating as posts like this. 

7 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Brighton should be a bit worried, tbh. They played a strong side and had lots of ball but relatively little to show for it despite being up against Matt Ritchie in central midfield and a reserve defence bar Pope.

Yeah, they really didn't create that much despite a lot stronger lineup than us.

14 hours ago, Rich said:

Never had LFEE down as a shirt off sort of Toon supporter. Adam P and everyone’s favourite forumite sneaking in there as well.

? Had to get the chant going somehow ? It was crazy hot in NY. Everywhere in fact has had a heatwave this trip. On the way to ground it was 95degs ? 

4 hours ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

he's ex Bournemouth, it’s not so surprising, or for that matter half as confusing as the Brighton/Palace beef ??‍♂️

Brighton and Bournemouth are nowhere near each other. About two hours drive apart.

17 minutes ago, Disco said:

Brighton and Bournemouth are nowhere near each other. About two hours drive apart.

Yes but they oddly seem to have some needle between each other. Clearly being out on their own means they pick some weird rivalries, for example the previously mentioned on with Crystal Palace

i mean are we close to a Everton or Spurs? Has that stopped us having a bit of needle the past few years?

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

Been very impressed with us in pre-season. 

We haven't really played a full strength side at any point, the players have obviously been tired in matches from working hard in training and yet we've gone unbeaten against 3 good sides. All of whom seem to be a little further forward than ourselves, but I think we will be hitting our stride at season start which is what you want. Also so pleasing to see the absolute hardwork every member of the squad is prepared to put in on the pitch. You've really seen the intensity is our identity ethos at every level of the playing squad. 

Our most productive midfield so far for me has been Gordon, Anderson, Miley, Almiron. 

Not what I expected, but very reassuring when we’ve got the likes of big joe, bruno, tonali, barnes and Murphy along with  Willock still yet to come back…..and longstaff. 

Definitely some big positives there so far. Definitely feeling there’s enough fire power that can be used up front with Isak, Wilson and maybe Gordon, Anderson or Willock to use there too. 

The back definitely needs strengthening, which is strange to say considering they were the best in the league last season, but just generally a bit more depth in there and added strength at fullback either side. 

I think we’re looking good, but do need to work on match sharpness and fitness, which will come. 

Assume the midfield will be Bruno, Big Joe and Anderson opening game.

I was thinking have we ever looked solid in midfield with both Bruno and Big Joe together? Feel like we always look vulnerable when they play together.