Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

22 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Couldn’t they just pay the stewards/polis off like? They’re not short of a few quid…

Hopefully Alex Hurst got kept back, feel sorry for the other fans.

14 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Couldn’t they just pay the stewards/polis off like? They’re not short of a few quid…

Apologies if I misunderstood. Are they complaining about being the last fans to leave the stadium? If so, this is standard in Portugal. You do not want to have clashes between... less friendly fans. Or even worst, regular folks being surprised by groups of ultras. Seems like a smart decision, even more considering that this was a particularly intense match.

If they were hold off for the trophy and then left at the same time, just stupid.

Edited by Bruno

1 minute ago, Bruno said:

Apologies if I misunderstood. Are they complaining about being the last fans to leave the stadium? If so, this is standard in Portugal. You do not want to have clashes between... less friendly fans. Or even worst, regular folks being surprised by groups of ultras. Seems like a smart decision, even more considering that this was a particularly intense match.

If they were hold off for the trophy and then left at the same time, just stupid.

Wow, briefly wondered if you might show your face this eve but assumed you'd be long gone. Good poster way back when!

22 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Things got a best tetchy when they held us back for a good while after the Europa League game. Some pushing started and police just lashed out at whoever was closest, regardless of whether they were just being pushed from behind - one clipped a kid with a baton.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Wow, briefly wondered if you might show your face this eve but assumed you'd be long gone. Good poster way back when!

I was Newcastle's Bruno before being Bruno was cool.

Congrats on the recent developments, seems like you have a good team in the making. Hopefully you will soon be back in Europe.

Fun game. 

Was loving Pope's distribution again. Poor for the first goal though. 

Mighty Miggy. Hope he can transfer this form into the league. He and tripps worked well together today for his goals. 

Botman is fantastic. Thought Burn was great up until the last goal. Was expecting him to recover and he just didn't.

Jonjo looked reborn, strange to say it's a huge blow that he will be out for a while. 

Big Joe and Bruno had good games albeit with some sloppiness too.

Happy for Bondswell. Looked just fine but not spectacular. 

Murphy is still poor. 

We need that new striker and winger. Wood shouldn't be our only backup or even 2nd choice. 

39 minutes ago, Comegetasample said:

All this Dan Burn revisionism can get fucked like, give your heads a wobble. 

Don’t know if it’s revisionism so much as over-reactionism. It’s not all that long ago that some people were annoyed that Lascelles wasn’t in the England squad. Then people were saying the same things about Burn. It was funny looking from outside tbh.

He was just what you needed last January - just like Bruno and Trippier - and like many have said he’s a terrific back-up to have. Just…he’s not amazing and makes ricks from time to time. He’s perfectly fine and a great solid squad player to have for the next few years.

2 hours ago, Howeay said:

What did he say at the 3 minute mark? Didn't want to say something?

I think he was about to make a comment about the refereeing and maybe he’s glad to get back to England because of that. Just a guess. 

4 hours ago, midds said:

Slightly alarmed at how isolated and ineffective Wilson was in that first half. Effectively snubbed out and barely got a kick.

I've only seen the highlights for this one, but thought Wilson looked off the pace in the other warmup games. This has surprised me after how strongly he came back at the end of last season. If anything, I suppose its better for it to happen now as a reminder that we need another striker in case Wilson loses form, not just in case he gets injured.

He's not the long term answer, but I like Burn and don't see him as any more error-prone than Schar. They're just different types of errors. Both are ahead of Lascelles in that regard, whose main appeal is his threat from set pieces.

7 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

I dunno what the name for it is but Burn plays like an absolute superhero then seems to make a mistake because it maybe makes him think he's invincible 

Titus Bramble

7 hours ago, relámpago blanco said:

I think Bruno struggled because the midfield was so poor first half. I think Joe is trying a bit too hard. It'll be fine. I do think we actually need another CM now though along with a striker and a winger. I don't think we'll get all 3. I think we'll get 2.

I just think had bruno played with Joelinton, Shelvey or Willock we'd have seen a lot more from him. Playing with Longstaff and Elliot is no good at all.

8 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Burn miles better than Lascelles in every area, he just needs to cut out the daft rush of blood he seems to get once per match. Even with that he's miles better than Lascelles who is shite 99% of the time as opposed Burn's 1% rush of blood moments.

I fully agree.The way Lascelles finds space in our box while defending is amazing.He has this habit of leaving his man and retreating to the 6 yard box when the panic is on.Noshere near good enough for a number of seasons.

8 hours ago, Inferior Acuña said:

Things got a best tetchy when they held us back for a good while after the Europa League game. Some pushing started and police just lashed out at whoever was closest, regardless of whether they were just being pushed from behind - one clipped a kid with a baton.

I recorded that on my phone, was more than a clip, it was a full on thwack. Video ended up on Look North :lol: 

9 hours ago, madras said:

I was more wondering if there'd been some heavy sledging going on.

I was wondering whether Bruno was getting some undue close attention (not that he was passively putting up with it mind) and Joelinton entered the fray with a bit of retribution in mind. 

Guest HTT II

We looked really sharp last night and I though Willock and Murphy were more involved in an attacking sense higher up. Again, we’ll be fine this season even if we don’t strengthen again, which we will, 3 more players I’m told.