Pre-season (2023/24)

bowlingcrofty

Do like the fact we've finished preseason with a couple of clean sheets, I know it's only friendlies and they don't mean much but it's nice that we've tightened things up in the last few games. They're there to get fitness up obviously but the unit will benefit from a bit of confidence that shutting the opposition out brings. We're in good shape and that's good as we have a tough start, bring it on :)

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Wilson looking fitter and a yard quicker imo. Could just be the opposition though.

He did look quicker than usual, so did Joelinton. Maybe it was the opposition. :lol:

2 hours ago, Alberto2005 said:

I think it will be Anderson or Tonali for the third spot next week, Longstaff will need a bit more time I think. I expect it will be Anderson.

Within the space of what feels like a couple of years, we’ve gone from debating the relative merits of Scott Parker, Lee Bowyer, and Nicky Butt; to fretting over which of our too many good players will be filling the three central midfield spots.

5 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Don’t think we’re going to struggle for goals this season. 

I was thinking 30 from Wilson & Isak combined, 25 between Barnes, Almiron and Gordon, 20-25 from the likes of Joelinton, Willock, Bruno, Tonali & Longstaff combined.

If we can nail set-pieces we'll score a lot of goals. Use Burn from them more like we did for his Brighton goal where he's 8 yards out powering in and he'll be unstoppable. Not sure why we don't do it more because even though he's not the best headerer he's capable of a 5 goal season like Dabizas was some times, instead of floating to him to nod back across which he's shite at. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We must be the only Champions League team who has about 4 players who are only there because they’re nice blokes :lol:

Obvs I love them all. 

Ritchie, at least, is very unlikely to be in the Champions League squad though.

8 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

Think we had the right approach to pre-season. We have a whole squad match fit for Eddie's pressing game. Most other teams look nowhere near as fit from the first weekend.

Think the extra games have helped despite all the travel. We played 7 whereas some teams have only played 4. Time will tell I guess.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Think the extra games have helped despite all the travel. We played 7 whereas some teams have only played 4. Time will tell I guess.

Playing against PL opposition in America helped massively too, in my opinion. I know a lot of people don’t love it but I think it helped prepare us to come out of the gates ready. 

Big difference is the fact that most of our players have played st least close to 90 minutes on a couple of occassions. So weird that most managers are happy to have their players just play 60 minute games in pre season, then expect them all to come out and play 90 minutes of much higher intensity. No wonder Villa crumbled and we could have scored another 2 or 3 goals in the last 30 minutes on Saturday. 

• 8 months later...
24 minutes ago, Doc said:

Locked up again?

HaHa No. I am a travelling nomad, currently in Turkey. I spent last year in Newcastle, and loved game day and going to St James's.

Met a mouthy bloke in the Lowlights Tavern in North Shields who lamented that they should have left the convicts in England and all gone to Australia themselves. ;)