Pre-season (2024/25)

bowlingcrofty

Wouldn’t be surprised if we press Villa

less in the league game, to allow less space for their midfielders to get on the half turn and play a through ball. 

Hopefully stay goal-side of their CMs and defenders being ready for that instant pass forward will be enough to nullify a lot of their threat. 

Looking forward to seeing it anyway. Last night wasn’t very representative. 

13 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Villa will have a big problem this year with the ball over the top, unless they drop their high line.

That's exactly what everyone was saying last season. As we conceded a total of 8 goals in the last 16 matches.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we press Villa

less in the league game, to allow less space for their midfielders to get on the half turn and play a through ball. 

Hopefully stay goal-side of their CMs and defenders being ready for that instant pass forward will be enough to nullify a lot of their threat. 

Looking forward to seeing it anyway. Last night wasn’t very representative. 

Agree. They turned our MF press and then had space to play the forward counter. Would not be surprised if we nullify that by not pressing.

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Hanging with @SEMTEX @LFEE and @Ameritoon and seeing just countless Toon fans from all over the world at the match was outstanding. Random folks from all over North America who love the Toon. Young fans, old fans. Amazing stuff. Had not seen that before in my life. Always felt us as some smallish rogue fan base over here and we probably still are in comparison to the Liverpool, Arsenal and Man United fan bases but we felt massive yesterday. Welling up with pride. 

Very good to meet you at the game and your lovely family. As you say, the numbers and enthusiasm are on a rapid rise. Just wait until we win something, which I feel is coming. It will be epic!!

Edited by OverThere

30 minutes ago, brummie said:

That's exactly what everyone was saying last season. As we conceded a total of 8 goals in the last 16 matches.

Makes it all the more tragic you conceded 3 last night to Jacob Murphy playmaking.

In all seriousness, were you playing as high as that last season?! 

50 minutes ago, OverThere said:

Very good to meet you at the game and your lovely family. As you say, the numbers and enthusiasm are on a rapid rise. Just wait until we win something, which I feel is coming. It will be epic!!

aye likewise! Sorry for forgetting your username. Seeing and hearing teenage American kids talk about our players in the detail we do gives me so much joy about our reach here. 

1 hour ago, brummie said:

That is true that it worked well, but it has to be spot on. Andersson's goal was like from a pub league. So easy

They let Murphy tee up the most obvious ball over the top I've seen and Anderson's run was completely unmatched.

If it was a PL game Murphy is closed down a lot quicker like :lol:

I think high lines are seen as a much bigger danger than they actually are tbh.

Heard some interesting thing from Newcastle's tour in the states.

Some fans, "original" fans seems to dislike the "new" fans that takeover brought. Saying things like, "You don't even know who is Ashley but say that you're die hard fans" etc. I mean wtf?

I mean, if you really want your club growing, you must ready to accept that new fans. And embrace them with the same warm you embrace fans that are local. You must accept the new reality that your club are not local anymore. Your club now are a global brand with (hopefully) fans around the world, like Disney or McDonald. Fans that never even heard about the city or the region Newcastle before in their life before supporting Newcastle.

Just my two pence.

4 hours ago, aa5773 said:

Some fans, "original" fans seems to dislike the "new" fans that takeover brought. Saying things like, "You don't even know who is Ashley but say that you're die hard fans" etc. I mean wtf?

I mean, if you really want your club growing, you must ready to accept that new fans. And embrace them with the same warm you embrace fans that are local. You must accept the new reality that your club are not local anymore. Your club now are a global brand with (hopefully) fans around the world, like Disney or McDonald. Fans that never even heard about the city or the region Newcastle before in their life before supporting Newcastle.

Just my two pence.

Darren Eales was in no doubt about the importance of new fans and growing the brand. Anyone enthusiastic enough to travel to go to a game and fan events should be welcomed. I think it’s great that we are gaining increased support ??

It’s not a new thing. There have been numerous arguments on here in the past about only local fans being ‘real’ fans, or those who go to the games actually count.

It isn’t anything that is NUFC specific. All canvases have a level of tribalism and a good percentage of idiots that come in varying degrees.

Sports and football in particular is as polarising as politics.

5 hours ago, aa5773 said:

Just my two pence.

As much as I hate to say it, this is why Trust representation is important. As our fanbase grows our collective response to changes will too. Opposition to things like SJP's renaming / relocation, typefaces / fonts, locations of statues etc will become less of an issue as the relative size of the opposition / support for any initiative could be a huge minority. 75 blokes staring at Alex Hurst in the Labour Club frothing over their Fosters on a Tuesday night will mean very little when the club has 50 times that number turn up to meet NUFC legend Shay Given on a pre-season tour at on of our SELA sponsored meet & greets in Riyadh in 2030.

You'd like to think that the Trust would look to protect the little things that we've cherished for 30, 40, 50 years and beyond.

1 minute ago, Dr.Spaceman said:
6 hours ago, aa5773 said:

Incendiary botwaffle.

As much as I hate to say it, this is why Trust representation is important. As our fanbase grows our collective response to changes will too. Opposition to things like SJP's renaming / relocation, typefaces / fonts, locations of statues etc will become less of an issue as the relative size of the opposition / support for any initiative could be a huge minority. 75 blokes staring at Alex Hurst in the Labour Club frothing over their Fosters on a Tuesday night will mean very little when the club has 50 times that number turn up to meet NUFC legend Shay Given on a pre-season tour at on of our SELA sponsored meet & greets in Riyadh in 2030.

You'd like to think that the Trust would look to protect the little things that we've cherished for 30, 40, 50 years and beyond.

Yeah, good point. Clinging onto the notion that most of the attraction for new fans is the authenticity of the historic/cultural institution of the club, and therefore sanitising everything would be cutting our nose off to spite our face. I do have faith in the bosses though, particularly the likes of Eales.

3 hours ago, Fatwax said:

It’s not a new thing. There have been numerous arguments on here in the past about only local fans being ‘real’ fans, or those who go to the games actually count.

It isn’t anything that is NUFC specific. All canvases have a level of tribalism and a good percentage of idiots that come in varying degrees.

Sports and football in particular is as polarising as politics.

Accepting foreign fans and such as equals is one thing, and fundamentally alright with me. But saying you don't know who Mike Ashley is and calling yourself a diehard fan, akin to fans of Disney and McDonald's, is embarrassing - when it isn't an obvious wind up.

Got far more respect for someone who, let's say, is Saudi and started following because of the takeover and isn't fully into it yet but is enjoying the ride and gradually falling for the place while learning about the backstory etc. Easy come support is easy go, too.

I'm turning into a right old moaning sod

Booked tickets for 5th August as soon as they were released, Rooftops was an option

image.thumb.png.d068d90d18d6ad62793fac40449d630d.png

All good I thought, but after logging on today I see they have cancelled these and re allocated me two tickets in the GWC, no courtesy email, no option to move, nowt.

So I rang them and lass on phone said "well you should know you aren't eligible to buy seats there" hahah wtf

I asked why was there no email or contact, you like just out of courtesy to advise. "no idea as it was done by the manger, I can cancel the tickets if you want"

FFS, aye I'm a right moaning fkr these days 

Just now, patrone said:

I'm turning into a right old moaning sod

Booked tickets for 5th August as soon as they were released, Rooftops was an option

image.thumb.png.d068d90d18d6ad62793fac40449d630d.png

All good I thought, but after logging on today I see they have cancelled these and re allocated me two tickets in the GWC, no courtesy email, no option to move, nowt.

So I rang them and lass on phone said "well you should know you aren't eligible to buy seats there" hahah wtf

I asked why was there no email or contact, you like just out of courtesy to advise. "no idea as it was done by the manger, I can cancel the tickets if you want"

FFS, aye I'm a right moaning fkr these days 

You aren’t. That’s just poor from the club to be honest.