Pre-season (2024/25): Yokohama F Marinos 2-0 Newcastle United

bowlingcrofty

After time to reflect, I thought there was some positives to take from the game. Liked sone of the movement and incisive passes over and through the middle; mainly first half. I was curious re what we’ve been trying structurally/positionally. Felt a bit ‘Foden-England’ish at times (fuck knows why he wants to try that like). With a wide player drifting more centrally (Barnes first half) to play more as a 10. 

Created a fair few opportunities (against a much slicker mid season side) just let down by final touch/bit of guile. Barnes in particular unlucky not to score.
Tino and Hall were very high and were caught out a number of times. 

Not digging anyone out, but I thought Joelinton, Tino (last three games), Barnes (as mentioned) were all a bit off their game. Guess it is what pre-season is for. 

Was excited to see Harrison and Sanusi (after read about him when he was in Japan squad). Both showed occasional glimpses but, unlike others, I haven’t seen anything which justifies the excitement/hype yet. 

Also thought we really missed Little Joe/someone consistently progressing the ball through the middle. Biggest bonus was relief when Isak seemed to shake off absolute clattering by the ‘keeper. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

On that showing Sanusi looks a bright prospect at just turned 17 and Alfie had a few assured touches,looks a number 10 in the making. Miggy looked lost, Murphy back to his frustrating worst and Longstaff aint been doing any shooting practice at all.

Solid debut for Kelly, looks easy on the ball 

42 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Miggy looked lost, Murphy back to his frustrating worst and Longstaff aint been doing any shooting practice at all.

All three need to be shipped out. Almiron now (personally I would shift Longstaff now also but Howe won't) and Murphy next year. 

Edited by et tu brute

Would have been a different result if we had scored one of the early chances we created.

Still, I'm getting 2022-23 season vibes looking at how good we played early on. Just need to get into stride.