Manchester City 5-0 Newcastle United (08/05/2022)

Yorkie

A pretty pitiful way to end the game but the result is meaningless. If we had a quality striker then it could have been a different game.

We will get at least 4 points from our final two games if Wilson starts.

4 minutes ago, midds said:

Battered by (arguably) the best side in the world, no surprises in that but a bit disappointing we didn't make more of a game of it as other clubs have done. I fully expected a loss but the manner of the defeat matters to me and we barely laid a glove on them in all honesty. 

Totally agree. We barely give the top teams a game. Its way to easy and we almost never comes up with a shock result.

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Saw this damning stat. We haven’t won in the last 27 league games against the traditional top 6. 0 wins, 5 draws, 22 losses. Aggregate of 72-17.

Feel like going forward all of those stats are irrelevant.

Saw this damning stat. We haven’t won in the last 27 league games against the traditional top 6. 0 wins, 5 draws, 22 losses. Aggregate of 72-17.

When was the last one? Beating Chelsea just before lockdown?

Totally reflective of a culture the previous regime instilled throughout the club.

There's no belief in the players that they can actually win these types of games.

We just don’t have the athleticism and sharpness to close people down fast enough, and we don’t have ability to retain position and build attacks.

Always will lead to potentially big defeats against anyone who keeps the ball and can create chances around the box. 

Hopefully will be less of the case next season, I really hope we try to transition away from counter-attacking to playing with the ball. 

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I'll give them a partial pass on that as the vast majority of those games were under that gormless cunt. He was openly telling the world how much better the opposition were well in advance of each game. This was compounded by the fact he was too incompetent to actually come up with a plan to compete. 

That doesn't excuse it though. But he's a big reason for it. 

5 minutes ago, joeyt said:

When was the last one? Beating Chelsea just before lockdown?

Yep. Have been shit against the top 6 since 2017-18. That season we drew with Liverpool, stuffed Chelsea, beat Arsenal, beat Man Utd. 

Since then we've had 4 wins, Man City in 2018-19 and Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd in 2019-20.

Yep. Have been shit against the top 6 since 2017-18. That season we drew with Liverpool, stuffed Chelsea, beat Arsenal, beat Man Utd. 

Since then we've had 4 wins, Man City in 2018-19 and Chelsea, Spurs and Man Utd in 2019-20.

Still not sure how we didn't beat Man Utd at home this season. But yeah hopefully we can be more competitive when we get better players

Watched today , these are top notch and we were chasing shadows at times. 

5-0 was harsh but expected.  Couldn't give a shite as its highlighted the need to ditch a few now .

Fans were great but I wish we'd stop taking the piss about the CL , we are in no state to do that mind . 

Just now, GWN said:

Watched today , these are top notch and we were chasing shadows at times. 

5-0 was harsh but expected.  Couldn't give a shite as its highlighted the need to ditch a few now .

Fans were great but I wish we'd stop taking the piss about the CL , we are in no state to do that mind . 

Also hate the 'where were you when you were shit' chant every bloody time we go down there. The Etihad is woeful but Maine Road was always full. When they were shit.

22 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Also hate the 'where were you when you were shit' chant every bloody time we go down there. The Etihad is woeful but Maine Road was always full. When they were shit.

Bizarre when we got 52000 every week in the championship under Ashley when we were sh1t just a few years ago.

They're probably referring to the very relevant few years during a boycott in the early 90s late 80s. Whilst ignoring the fact Maine Road was full once in a blue moon then and into the PL era.

Manchester City v West Ham 13/12/86 19,067

Manchester City v Millwall 16/9/87 15,430

Manchester City v Bournemouth 13/2/88 16,161

Manchester City v Hull 2/3/88 16,040

Manchester City v Reading 4/4/88 15,172

Manchester City v West Brom 2/5/88 16,490

Manchester City v Walsall 3/9/88 17,104

Manchester City v Brighton 17/9/88 16,033

Manchester City v Portsmouth 5/10/88 17,202

PL era

Manchester City v Coventry 10/3/93 20,092

Manchester City v Wimbledon 21/4/93 19, 524

Manchester City v C Palace 5/5/93 21,167

Manchester City v Ipswich 3-4-93 20.680

Manchester City v Coventry 27/8/93 21,537

Manchester City v Oldham 4/10/93 21,401

Manchester City v Spurs 11/12/93 21,566

Manchester City v Coventry 94/95 20,632

Manchester City v Oxford 13/11/96 23,079

Manchester City v Huddersfield 19/11/96 23,314

Manchester City v WBA 27/11/96 24,200

Manchester City v Grimsby 16/4/97 23,334

Edited by Wolfcastle

1 hour ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

Conceding two goals in a matter of minutes in added-on time is the sorest point for me. Speaks to a lack of character in the team.

I'd usually agree, but it's difficult to accuse the team of a lack of character given the four months we've had, and where we were before that. 

Guest reefatoon
5 minutes ago, Smal said:

We actually weren't that bad today. 

Thats what makes those last two goals more frustrating.

Well, just finished watching the game, I recorded it as I was out this morning. They got humped as expected. Everton refuses to fuck off and City blasted us. 

Good to see Trippier and Wilson out there at least. It was always an impossible task so I won't lose any sleep.

its a good job we've lost a couple of games since getting to 43 points.

just makes it clear to those upstairs. we need a real clear out.

had we fluked a top half finish they may have thought we're not that bad and just need 2 or 3 additions.

clear wake up call.

45 minutes ago, huss9 said:

its a good job we've lost a couple of games since getting to 43 points.

just makes it clear to those upstairs. we need a real clear out.

had we fluked a top half finish they may have thought we're not that bad and just need 2 or 3 additions.

clear wake up call.

Hopefully these owners were full on anyway (I think they are), but a little reminder about the distinct lack of quality, I agree, is probably not a bad thing