Newcastle United 2-0 Arsenal (18/05/2022)

Yorkie

11 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

We were faultless tonight like. Couldn't believe how quickly we got the ball back off Arsenal first half, and how we dominated possession. Then in the second half with less possession we opened them up a few times and never looked in much danger ourselves. 

Very exciting times to follow NUFC now, almost forgot what this was like after a decade or so of darkness. Amazing turnaround from Howe, staff and players. 

The most refreshing thing to see was the accuracy of passing on the break and the clear plans as to what to do and where to move. We're a fucking decent team now as a result 

Just in from the match and after quickly fast forwarding through the recording, we won, we dominated and the first thing they talk about is Arsenal. I've no doubt they lick our arses  later (I saw that in the Strawberry) but come on, straight after the match, give the winners some credit.

16 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

Same shit as the Sky coverage. "Arsenal were poor", not "Newcastle were good." We made them look completely ordinary tonight, and that has everything to do with us and nothing to do with them.

Edited by cubaricho

In Norwegian studio they pulled up an interesting stat that Arsenal has conceeded first away from home 7 times this season. All 7 games have been lost, with them scoring 0 goals. They are bottom of the table both home and away if you sort it by who has most points starting from a losing position together with Norwich.

As good as we were, I think it's fair of the media to criticize Arsenal on that part - not just for this game in isolation, but there's clearly something with the culture and/or mentality of the team that they need to address. 

Honestly felt the game was secure after the first goal. It was Rafa-levels of trust in us seeing out the game. Can't wait to see the two Arsenal fans in the office tomorrow

55 minutes ago, nemtizz said:

"I thought that the crowd would quiet but they're sorta drunk on hope" - that and alot more from what you lads have said about the SJP experience these days.

Arsenal were poor but if were poor too or average that's just a horrible pointless 0-0 game, that might be nicked or not.

Arsenal's poorness didn't provoke us to play like that, Longstaff's dink, Wilson's near wonder goal, ASM ripping through, Almiron and Krafth combining - wasn't because of Arteta's training this week but Howe's.

1 hour ago, cubaricho said:

Same shit as the Sky coverage. "Arsenal were poor", not "Newcastle were good." We made them look completely ordinary tonight, and that has everything to do with us and nothing to do with them.

He seemed more generous in his praise than that, hearing the whole thing.

I missed some of the second half to a meeting so just watched it back. The sky coverage is actually hilarious. Every reaction shot for a full minute after the whistle was Arteta or an Arsenal player or fan :lol:

53 minutes ago, elbee909 said:

He seemed more generous in his praise than that, hearing the whole thing.

Yeah, particularly in the first bit, and when he pulled up the possession stats (and wow were we spectacular). In the end the "larger story" for the neutral was how Arsenal screwed up top 4, so I get all that Arsenal bias.

The key thing that baffles me, especially if I were the owners, is how do we strengthen this side? When they are clicking, and with Wilson on fire, I can't see any of this first-string being droppable[emoji38]. At most I can see the need for a top-class right forward to replace Almiron. World-class defenders, CMs and strikers won't be happy to come here to be rotated, and getting a bairn like Ekitike to cover for when Wilson gets his inevitable layoff won't result in the same number of goals a fully-fit Wilson can provide.

Just need that little something to address the dickings we got from Man City and Spurs and we are well on the way to a great 2022-23 season.

19 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Yeah, particularly in the first bit, and when he pulled up the possession stats (and wow were we spectacular). In the end the "larger story" for the neutral was how Arsenal screwed up top 4, so I get all that Arsenal bias.

The key thing that baffles me, especially if I were the owners, is how do we strengthen this side? When they are clicking, and with Wilson on fire, I can't see any of this first-string being droppable[emoji38]. At most I can see the need for a top-class right forward to replace Almiron. World-class defenders, CMs and strikers won't be happy to come here to be rotated, and getting a bairn like Ekitike to cover for when Wilson gets his inevitable layoff won't result in the same number of goals a fully-fit Wilson can provide.

Just need that little something to address the dickings we got from Man City and Spurs and we are well on the way to a great 2022-23 season.

As much as I agree with the sentiment that it's difficult to drop some of these players. I do think there is a essence of rose-tinted spectacles with your comments. No matter how well they've done tonight and in the past few weeks Longstaff, Burn, Schar, Dubravka and Almiron are the first 5 that spring to mind that definitely require replacing.

I know alot won't agree with me but we do need a new starting CB, CM, GK and RW as minimum.