Newcastle United 2-0 Arsenal (18/05/2022)

Yorkie

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Arsenal don't really look or play like a top 4 side tbh, they look like a bunch of talented youngsters doing reasonably well. I know they've spent plenty of money, but their biggest stars, Aubemyang and Lacazette aren't even playing. When they played Spurs last week, did anyone really fancy them?

I think they've overachieved this season all things considered, I don't think anyone had them down as serious contenders for the top 4. They could do with getting rid of shite like Xhaka for starters.

I don't think they bottled it, there wasn't anything particularly gutless about the way they play that I've seen from countless Arsenal teams before, but they definitely look like they've run out of steam, had key injuries at the worst time, and have been punished for not making the signings to mitigate for those things in January

Edited by Kid Icarus

41 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Was just about to post this, honestly head and shoulder above anything else on YouTube as far as analysis goes.

His take on how Eddie has turned it around (in a different video) has been replicated by 10+ other channels using the same info.

He speaks about every team as if he was in the same room as their supporters and it's just much better to listen too than the usual hot takes and baiting. Helps he clearly knows his stuff too.

19 minutes ago, TRon said:

Arsenal don't really look or play like a top 4 side tbh, they look like a bunch of talented youngsters doing reasonably well. I know they've spent plenty of money, but their biggest stars, Aubemyang and Lacazette aren't even playing. When they played Spurs last week, did anyone really fancy them?

Pretty much this, the board certainly have made a bunch of mistakes with poor transfers but don't think anything wrong with Arteta clearing out a bunch of them for a young side with potential, but they are just that, they clearly lack a nous, they are streaky, win a bunch in a row then have a bunch of losses in a row. Need some signings, need more experience. I saw a lot saying how much of a disaster Europa league is and some arsenal fans decrying how embarrassing it is, but quite frankly if that team want to compete for the top 4 they need toughening up. Playing a gruelling schedule and playing Genk away on a Thursday night could be exactly what they need to face champions league a season later. They need depth adding and a striker sure. 

Edited by Tiresias

14 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

I think they've overachieved this season all things considered, I don't think anyone had them down as serious contenders for the top 4. They could do with getting rid of shite like Xhaka for starters.

Bottom line, only two or three teams truly underachieved this year - Man U and Everton for sure. Everyone else did roughly as expected, with you guys being the asterisk due to the takeover and new manager (and us to an extent). After everything the top six is currently still the “top six”. If Arsenal get 4th they’ll definitely have over-achieved.

4 minutes ago, Nine said:

Aubemyang left for Barca in Jan

I know he's at Barcelona, but hadn't realised he'd signed permanently, thought he was there on loan. Anyway, he wasn't starting for them before that, and he was definitely one of their big name players, so while they have had star players, they haven't been much use to them. That's why you have the likes of Nketiah playing up front.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I know he's at Barcelona, but hadn't realised he'd signed permanently, thought he was there on loan. Anyway, he wasn't starting for them before that, and he was definitely one of their big name players, so while they have had star players, they haven't been much use to them. That's why you have the likes of Nketiah playing up front.

That’s what’s so weird though, and one reason the Arsenal fans are quite so pissed off. They put themselves in this position.

12 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

That’s what’s so weird though, and one reason the Arsenal fans are quite so pissed off. They put themselves in this position.

Yeah, when I look at the Arsenal team I don't see a whole bunch of household names like we did in years past. Arteta has been very publicly laying down the law, and he's got some good youngsters tbf, but are they CL material? I think it's asking a bit much, I think you are right, they probably overachieved in reality.

2 hours ago, Wullie said:

They looked like they were going to do it quite comfortably with the fixtures they had left until that Monday night game against Palace when they were absolutely diabolical and got thumped.

Yeah, that spell has ultimately done them, losing to Palace, Brighton and Southampton. Their xG went really weird around then, with them seemingly missing lots of chances and conceding easily. Them conceding easily isn't hard to imagine given Ramsdale's performance yesterday.

They've just lost against us and Spurs away but look at where the two teams are in the home form table. In 2022, NUFC is not a readily winnable away game. Arsenal fans might be kicking tables, but that's only because they think playing us must be a banker. As they always say, past performance does not guarantee future returns etc. etc.

1978750795_homeform.jpg.4433d8ee4f54fe368aa898cbf91ff916.jpg

4 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Confirmation, if ever it were needed, that Arsenal Fan TV is the absolute pits.

Could hardly understand a word he said tbh. I know he told someone to fuck right off, not sure who or why though. :lol:

5 minutes ago, TRon said:

Could hardly understand a word he said tbh. I know he told someone to fuck right off, not sure who or why though. :lol:

It was a kid doing 2-0 with his hands. Then he looked like he wanted to spark out the bairn with the flag. Fully grown men being rattled by kids. :lol:

22 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

It was a kid doing 2-0 with his hands. Then he looked like he wanted to spark out the bairn with the flag. Fully grown men being rattled by kids. :lol:

Yeah I saw the kid with the two fingers up, just didn't think for one moment he could be getting that angry at a 10 yr old. :lol:

4 hours ago, TK-421 said:

But also noticed when Trippier was warming up 2nd half, Arsenal had a flurry of 2 or 3 corners and Trippier clearly stood in line with the box, but marshalling and organising from the touchline. Just brilliant. Not even on the pitch, but being an influence. Give him the armband next season.

It was excellent to see. No doubt they'll try to ban it as an extension of the coaches' box.

5 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Think the mantra that Arsenal have bottled top four is really weird considering they were never clear of 5th and weren’t ever considered a proper contender pre-season.

They’ve done well, I thought.

Weren't you criticising Brendan Rodgers for doing this not long ago :lol: