Newcastle United 2-0 Arsenal (18/05/2022)

Yorkie

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Incredible. Think a lot of these players who'd only been used to playing in a dead SJP under the twin fatties suddenly now realise what a great place this is. I honestly didn't think we'd be having a happy ending to this season. At one point during the first third of the season it even looked like we might be in for a record breaking relegation season we were so hopeless and unable to beat anybody. Amazing effort by everyone. Howe transformed not just the football but the culture, and the players rose to the challenge and many of them turned their careers around!

Honestly, still smiling from last night. That was something special. Something really special. The whole thing. From the flags, to the game, the atmosphere.

When actual success eventually comes along, this city is going to be rocking. And I can't fucking wait.

That was just great. Pretty emotional about the post match cos several of those lads will be moving on in the summer but they contributed to this foundation if that's what it is, its their moment, they help make it and I'm chuffed to bits for them.

Very few places you can have anything like that, even when winning something, it may not even last here when we dont have to firefight the mess left behind, so had to be savoured.

1 minute ago, Wolfcastle said:

That was just great. Pretty emotional about the post match cos several of those lads will be moving on in the summer but they contributed to this foundation if that's what it is, its their moment, they help make it and I'm chuffed to bits for them.

Very few places you can have anything like that, even when winning something, it may not even last here when we dont have to firefight the mess left behind, so had to be savoured.

Newcastles very own coming of age, looking back fondly on what got us here as we move on into the literal unknown.

I've got to laugh when I seen last season's and Bruce scurried off the pitch to boo's and only about 15,000 people there.

It honestly is night and day.

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Weren't you criticising Brendan Rodgers for doing this not long ago :lol:

No. I was criticising Rodgers for being 10+ points clear and failing to get it over the line.

I thought that would’ve been clear where I said “considering they were never clear of 5th”  but you probably got too excited in making your reply that you missed that key detail.

Completely different circumstances and even without that I would also consider Arsenal to have a poorer team than those Leicester teams.

Well done though, proud of you.

Edited by Fantail Breeze

9 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

No. I was criticising Rodgers for being 10+ points clear and failing to get it over the line.

I thought that would’ve been clear where I said “considering they were never clear of 5th”  but you probably got too excited in making your reply that you missed that key detail.

Completely different circumstances and even without that I would also consider Arsenal to have a poorer team than those Leicester teams.

Slow down you moved to fast, Solomons here. What's going on...? 

5 hours ago, leffe186 said:

This is it. I hate the “bottled it” trope in general, but the reason it’s being trotted out here is nothing to do with pre-season expectations and everything to do with the last few weeks.

The funny thing is that the benefit of hindsight makes their performance look worse. Perhaps expectations should have been higher. They spent oodles of cash, didn’t have to worry about Europe at all and their manager had a couple of years to bed in. Of the seven teams that finished above them last year, Man U imploded from the top down, Leicester and West Ham were clearly held back by playing in Europe and Spurs sacked their manager in October. If they don’t make the CL it’s clearly a missed opportunity.

Look at the BBC predictions:

https://www.givemesport.com/1737506-man-city-man-utd-liverpool-chelsea-who-will-make-the-premier-league-top-four-in-2122

Not a single pundit predicted Spurs or Arsenal in the top 4 - out of 20. Then look at those fan videos from last night. It’s not just the media calling them “bottlers”.

They’ve lost their last two games against a decent Spurs side (with refereeing decisions that could have easily have gone a different way)* and I think last night we would’ve given anyone in the league a good game.

The manner of the defeats would be disappointing but I thought I heard they had a fairly patched up side with players playing through injury and key players out (may be wrong as not really that engrained in their detail).

Prior to those defeats they got impressive results against Chelsea, West Ham and Man Utd.

If anything, the run of three defeats before that against Palace, Brighton and Southampton are the cause of not getting the top four - which when you consider versus their form at the time, are a bit of an anomaly. It’s not like they’ve lost their last 5 games and  completely collapsed out of contention.

I agree it’s a missed opportunity for them but it just seems so strange how much grief their getting when Leicester (at the time, and still if you listen to joey) got none for two remarkable collapses in comparison.

Arteta has a big season next year though - will be higher expectations now.

*I don’t disagree with the decisions, but how often do we see pens given for stuff like that first goal? 99/100 never given.

1 hour ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Well Arsenal were 6 points clear of Spurs with a game in hand and now they're going to pip them to the post

1 hour ago, Wolfcastle said:

special mention for matt ritchie man. been great on and off the pitch. his return helped us towards the end of last season. really hopes he gets a few minutes at the end of the burnley game. radgie bastard... the headslaps, the fan assaults with the corner flag!!!

hayden, lascelles, feddy,

manquillo (one of my faves but i think he goes, krafthu stays),

gayle (smashed the champo, and his antics at the gallowgate end after he scored in the last game of that season).

thanks and goodbye to them all.

1 minute ago, huss9 said:

special mention for matt ritchie man. been great on and off the pitch. his return helped us towards the end of last season. really hopes he gets a few minutes at the end of the burnley game. radgie bastard... the headslaps, the fan assaults with the corner flag!!!

Best Ritchie moment? Surely calling Bruce the coward that he is.