General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

26 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Grew up round the corner from my grandparents. He’s someone you barely ever hear about these days 

Very underrated player. Suffered from being so versatile. Ended up as a full back but could play anywhere.  CB CM  Wings and wide forward. I think he was probably the clubs second best GK at some point also.

5 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Scored one of NUFCs most underrated goals away at Liverpool too. 

The chip in the Coca Cola cup? Played as the 9 that day I think 

Totally agree with LFEE - seriously underrated - his technical ability and positional flexibility was really high - would love a player of his type at SJP now

Went to school with him.  Interestingly, all the way through middle school all of the fuss made was about Alan Thompson who was in the same year, and not an awful lot was said about Steve.   I'm assuming that's just because the scouts picked him up later, but he did seem to go under the radar until just before high school.  Then the next thing I saw was him playing for NUFC in a cup game which I think was against Boro.  It was a proper WTF?! moment, then they did a bit about him on Saint & Greavsie the following weekend which was double WTF?!

51 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Scored one of NUFCs most underrated goals away at Liverpool too. 

Great run and left foot chip over James in front of a full away end behind the goal! 

Last time we won there I think?! 27 years ago!

14 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Fuck me, our record at Anfield is disgusting. Can’t wait to start going to places like Old Trafford and Anfield and get results 

It's been shite at all the 'big clubs' for years apart from Spurs. One win at the Emirates I think, 12 years ago? One win at Chelsea in the Abramovich era? Probably 3 or 4 wins max at all of those teams since the Robert winner in 01/02. Even Man City we were shite at since they moved from Maine Road even before they became good. :lol:

Edited by Optimistic Nut

35 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

It's been shite at all the 'big clubs' for years apart from Spurs. One win at the Emirates I think, 12 years ago? One win at Chelsea in the Abramovich era? Probably 3 or 4 wins max at all of those teams since the Robert winner in 01/02. Even Man City we were shite at since they moved from Maine Road even before they became good. :lol:

Ha ha aye it's horrendous!

We've won once at Old Trafford and once at Anfield in the Premier League in about 56 matches :D

Edited by Paully

The last 20 and a smidge years away to Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal:

Man City

P18 W0 D2 L16

Man Utd

P18 W1 D4 L13

Liverpool

P19 W0 D5 L14

Arsenal

P18 W1 D1 L16

Total

P73 W2 D12 L51

28 points from 219.

Yeah, we need to improve that.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

The last 20 and a smidge years away to Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool & Arsenal:

Man City

P18 W0 D2 L16

Man Utd

P18 W1 D4 L13

Liverpool

P19 W0 D5 L14

Arsenal

P18 W1 D1 L16

Total

P65 W2 D12 L51

28 points from 195.

Yeah, we need to improve that.

Dear me. I knew it was bad but ffs

We've done alright at Southampton since we got promoted in 2017, only 1 defeat and that was behind closed doors and under Bruce. In the PL era at selected grounds we've had

1 win at Old Trafford, Cabaye 2014.

2 wins at Man City, 1 was at Maine Road (Shearer 2000-01) and the other was the LC win in 2014

2 wins at Anfield, in the league in 1994 and in the LC in 1995

2 wins at Chelsea, in the LC in 2010 and the Cisse brace in 2012

4 wins at Arsenal, 1994, 1997, 2001 and 2010 which is the only one at the Emirates

10 wins at Spurs which is our joint best away opponent alongside West Ham, and we've also scored more goals v Spurs than any other team in the league :lol:

Never beat Wimbledon and never beat Southampton at the Dell, but we've won at St Mary's 4 times, one of which is in the FA Cup