General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

5 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Those two league cup wins at Chelsea in 2010 and City in 2014 underline the chaos factor of that competition and how eminently winnable it is. Our line ups in both are hilarious.

Dunno like. Pretty much shows the opposite? You have to win 2-3 games at least that you're not expected to just to stand a chance. We got thumped in the next round against Arsenal & Spurs in each of those instances. 

5 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aye unsure about that, like. Man City have only lost 1 League Cup match, which was on penalties away at West Ham, between October 2016 and now. The last time a non 'big 6' team won it was 2012-13 when Swansea won it.

Citeh love a league cup win. I thought/misremembered that it was their first trophy of the new era, but just checked and seems the FA Cup in 2011 was their first recent trophy— first since they beat us in the 1976 League Cup final—achieved three years after their August 2008 takeover.
The League Cup is the easiest major trophy to win. 5 games, for the teams in Europe. It is only 6 for the rest of the Premier League, though so is the FA Cup. Regardless of the strength of the team put out, they’re obviously much more ‘doable’ than the probability of coming out on top after the relentless slog of the 38 Premier League games. 

City just seem to piss it. They pick a team that will win comfortably against whoever they play without needing to field all the big guns, then in the final go all out. Last season obviously an exception.

West Ham last season being a good example of what I mentioned though. They beat Man U, then Man C, but to win it they'd have then had to go on to beat Spurs (who they lost to away), Chelsea over two legs, then Liverpool. :lol:

2 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

City just seem to piss it. They pick a team that will win comfortably against whoever they play without needing to field all the big guns, then in the final go all out. Last season obviously an exception.

West Ham last season being a good example of what I mentioned though. They beat Man U, then Man C, but to win it they'd have then had to go on to beat Spurs (who they lost to away), Chelsea over two legs, then Liverpool. :lol:

Horrendous path to ‘easy glory’!  Recall thinking we were really unlucky that when we finally reached two FA Cup finals, we played the best team in the country. Need a bit of luck in the cup: draw and/or exceptional performances on the day(s). 

Aye you need a bit of luck in the draw to win a domestic cup outside the top 6.

If you're lucky, you'll only have to beat 2 of them.

The 2-legged semi final in January or early Feb is it? Makes it harder. On the back off a hectic Xmas period. And the big clubs don't usually have CL games at that time so can field stronger teams with the benefit of better depth.

If we beat Palace, it looks like we'll be playing a few days after the World Cup final if this is correct?! Bonkers!

I doubt any player will play if they get to the quarters - only 9 days earlier!

https://www.efl.com/news/key-dates/

Carabao Cup

Round One - w/c 8 August 2022

Round Two – w/c 22 August 2022

Round Three – w/c 7 November 2022

Round Four – w/c 19 December 2022

Round Five – w/c 9 January 2023

Semi Final 1st Leg – w/c 23 January 2023

Semi Final 2nd Leg – w/c 30 January 2023

Final – Sunday 26 February 2023

Edited by Paully

1 minute ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Aye. Mental but the 21st December is my birthday, hope we play someone shite at home on that date. :lol:

Winner of Stevenage vs Charlton or MK Dons vs Morecombe would be nice (should we get through) :lol: 

14 minutes ago, Cookie1892 said:

https://www.nufc.com/html/2021-22html/2021-10-17spurs-h.html

I have genuinely thought for the last year that we got beat 3-1 i cannot remember Dier's own goal at all.

Memories of the day are obviously hazy but the atmosphere before kick was immense and look how far we have come in a year

The atmosphere before and for the first ten minutes. The celebration of Wilson’s was probably better than the likes of the last minute winners against Norwich and Chelsea.

Obviously everything got deflated pretty quickly and the last half hour was fairly awful in some ways. Bang on about the Dier goal though. It was down the opposite end to me and i wasn’t actually sure it had gone in due to the lack of celebration from players and fans (that were left)

41 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Clark injured most of the season, same with Hayden, no goals in 13 starts for Gayle. Scary that this time last year these were in and around our team.

Some people think we should've stuck with Gayle and saved the Wood money 😂😂😂😂😂