General NUFC stuff

LoveItIfWeBeatU

35 minutes ago, Elliottman said:

About 3 minutes onwards is just pure filth. If you didn’t enjoy watching HBA then you just didn’t like football 

He was dropped after that game. We lost against Arsenal and then again at West Brom. :lol:

After that Stoke game on Boxing Day we were 6 points off top. Sold Cabaye and it all fell apart, first time the anti-Ashley malaise really started kick off since the Keegan debacle iirc. Anger at Hughton's sacking only lasted for the build up to that Liverpool game iirc, may be wrong like. Was only just about to turn 10. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

36 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We won 3-1. He was better 1st half but still great 2nd half.

34 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

1-3 wasn’t it? I was there and for March, it was boiling hot. Was shite second half though I remember being nervous as fuck.

Yeah 1-3. IIRC they had a 2nd disallowed but from 0-3 up and coasting for an hour we seemed to fall apart. Best 45mins we witnessed that season. Stoke at home probably best overall performance.

3 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Ginola against Boro

End of debate.

2nd Tino v Barca.

Passing mention for Ginola at Sheffield Wed and Stoke the same season. Beardsley too at Stoke.

Edited by Jonas

On 14/02/2023 at 20:37, joeyt said:

What do you reckon is the best ever performance in one match a Newcastle player has ever had?

A genuine 10/10 game

Rob Lee Vs Royal Antwerp? Not sure it was the best ever for us (or even his best ever…) but what a way to re-enter European completion! 

For games where I was in the stadium, HBA vs Stoke, albeit against 9 men for a lot of the game and Tiote on his debut vs Everton really stand out for me.  

Tiote had 100% pass completion rate, I think.  I'm probably overrating it.  As he was just totally different to any other midfielder we'd had for a good while and I couldn't believe how simple he made everything look.  HBA wasn't bad that day, either. 

Leon Best with his hat trick against West Ham :aww: 

I think these are more my favourite performances of games I've been at.  As opposed to genuine 10/10 games.

In more recent times, if it's all games.  Then Joelinton vs Man U and ASM vs City are up there.  

A few permutations regarding when the home game v Spurs will be played. https://www.premierleague.com/news/3076942

"Sunday 23 April
14:00 Newcastle v Spurs*
*This match will move to 22 April 17:30, live on Sky Sports, if Man Utd are involved in UEFA Europa League the Thursday before. This is also subject to Spurs' participation in FA Cup semi-finals"

• 2 weeks later...

I’m so jealous of Arsenal man. 

If they win the league, they’ll have to thank the academy.  Saka, Nketiah, Martinelli, Nelson and ESR have already played massive roles or you expect them to play a big role. Chelsea have a factory of talent. City have a factory of talent. 

We need to prioritise developing technically superior attacking players.  

Those teams have £200m talent worth of home grown players. Man U might have that as well.  

That hasn't happened over night for them, and it won't happen here either, but it's clear the club have homegrown talent in mind and or attracting/signing youth prospects. 

Just gotta hope some of our fans have the patience for it and don't write them off after one misplaced pass. 

I'm assuming Longstaff is back to turbo shite now?

7 hours ago, TBG said:

That hasn't happened over night for them, and it won't happen here either, but it's clear the club have homegrown talent in mind and or attracting/signing youth prospects. 

Just gotta hope some of our fans have the patience for it and don't write them off after one misplaced pass. 

I'm assuming Longstaff is back to turbo shite now?

Lol, no Longstaff is average and will be a good squad member moving forwards you would hope. 

54 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Sure helps to be a club with an established, funded Academy. Not one that’s been neglected for about 40 years. Also probably helps nowadays to be in London. No?

I’d say so, especially if you’re one of the bigger clubs. That being said when we invest our potential talent pool is huge and something to be very excited about. 

As @TBG mentioned, this will take 10-15 years and will require a lot of investment. 

9 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

I’m so jealous of Arsenal man. 

If they win the league, they’ll have to thank the academy.  Saka, Nketiah, Martinelli, Nelson and ESR have already played massive roles or you expect them to play a big role. Chelsea have a factory of talent. City have a factory of talent. 

We need to prioritise developing technically superior attacking players.  

Those teams have £200m talent worth of home grown players. Man U might have that as well.  

Worth pointing out the age of these players and when they started getting regular opportunities in the first team or regular game time on loan in top divisions, to all those who are saying Anderson & Ashby have time on their side.

8 hours ago, Kanji said:

Sure helps to be a club with an established, funded Academy. Not one that’s been neglected for about 40 years. Also probably helps nowadays to be in London. No?

Massively.

Fulham's academy is impressive too.

Hopefully we'll start using a network to get lads in from across the country.