Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

1 minute ago, Chris_R said:

To be fair you could say that Howe's only (substantial) club role saw him get Bournemouth relegated. 

Not slating Howe or defending Southgate, but throwing that over thing at him that happened 15 years ago when he was in his 30s probably isn't terribly relevant.

It's incredibly disrespectful to the Premier League Manager of the Month August 2008.  We'd be lucky to have him.

Just now, Chris_R said:

To be fair you could say that Howe's only (substantial) club role saw him get Bournemouth relegated. 

Not slating Howe or defending Southgate, but throwing that over thing at him that happened 15 years ago when he was in his 30s probably isn't terribly relevant.

Yeah, never mind the fact Howe brought Bournemouth up to the Premier league from administration in league 2 against all the odds, and kept them in the Premier league for a number of years, all while playing football that was enjoyable to watch, before eventually going down that COVID year.

Come on now. Are we really comparing all that to Southgate's stint at Boro?

10 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Pretty shit argument when he got them promoted through the 3 leagues below.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Yeah, never mind the fact Howe brought Bournemouth up to the Premier league from administration in league 2 against all the odds, and kept them in the Premier league for a number of years, all while playing football that was enjoyable to watch, before eventually going down that COVID year.

I can remember lots of Newcastle Fans at the time of Southgate's sacking at Boro when they were level on points with us fwiw, praising Boro for taking action when needed. Obviously looked a bit foolish a few months later, but there are sliding door moments all over football. Who knows what might've happened at Boro if they'd held their nerve back in 2008/09?

Haven't seen anything from Southgate managing a club that makes me think he's be anything other than an unmitigated disaster at Man U or anywhere else. Crossing my fingers he gets the job tbh

28 minutes ago, KaKa said:

20 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

Pretty shit argument when he got them promoted through the 3 leagues below.

Did either of you read what I wrote?

I'm probably Howe's biggest supporter, I live in Bournemouth. I've wanted him to manage Newcastle for a decade. :lol:

14 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Did either of you read what I wrote?

I'm probably Howe's biggest supporter, I live in Bournemouth. I've wanted him to manage Newcastle for a decade. :lol:

Fair enough. 

Just think there was so much more on the lead up to that relegation, which Southgate doesn't really have, and so wasn't comparable.

But reading back over it, I can kind of see what you meant :thup:

4 hours ago, Chris_R said:

Words fail

Yeah my sole point was that having a relegation on your CV doesn't make you a bad manager in and of itself. Thought it would be clear?

Good or even great managers have suffered relegations, Howe & Benitez spring to mind, and it doesn't by itself make you a bad manager so saying "Southgate was relegated with Boro" doesn't by itself mean he's shit. You need more than that.

For the record I don't think he's a good manager but I base that on way more than something that happened 15 years back when he was in his 30s and just cutting his teeth in management at a club that historically competes outside the top flight and has a very limited budget. The flip side would be that he kept said club IN the PL for 2 years prior to the relegation, which in itself is at least a decent performance.

3 minutes ago, Chris_R said:

Yeah my sole point was that having a relegation on your CV doesn't make you a bad manager in and of itself. Thought it would be clear?

Good or even great managers have suffered relegations, Howe & Benitez spring to mind, and it doesn't by itself make you a bad manager so saying "Southgate was relegated with Boro" doesn't by itself mean he's shit. You need more than that.

For the record I don't think he's a good manager but I base that on way more than something that happened 15 years back when he was in his 30s and just cutting his teeth in management at a club that historically competes outside the top flight and has a very limited budget. The flip side would be that he kept said club IN the PL for 2 years prior to the relegation, which in itself is at least a decent performance.

Shouldn't have lowered yourself kidda 😂

But fair play 😉

On 31/03/2024 at 07:23, Ben said:

So it looks like our Judas and Gareth Southgate were a Sir Dave Brailsford birthday party a few weeks back, is that allowed ?

Looks like there could have been something in this

Probably can't deny him freedom  choosing who he meets up with in his spare-time (mind he has a lot of that, like [emoji38]). 

However it's just too obvious this guy is breaching the term og his gardening leave / contract.

9 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

anyone can grow leeks

Club members now frothing like Billy Elliot's dad being told Wayne Sleep is not gay.

Edited by Teslact

1 hour ago, PauloGeordio said:

If I were a conspiracist I'd say this is all part of an effort so that Man Utd can 'turn him down' while saving some face.

Apologies if asked already but what are Newcastle's options if Man United decide to walk away? Can they still demand some compensation? He clearly can't come back and you've lost the use of a key employee (while still paying him).

On Southgate as a manager, I broadly like him as England manager but international football is so different from club football and I think it will really expose his biggest weaknesses as a manager and not really compliment his strengths. Specifically his lack of tactical flexibility and ability to impact games with changes while no one will really care that much about how he carries himself with dignity and seems to impart that on his team. When you're a club manager you're not really representing anything bigger/embodying and broader principles, so why would people care that much.

15 minutes ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Apologies if asked already but what are Newcastle's options if Man United decide to walk away? Can they still demand some compensation? He clearly can't come back and you've lost the use of a key employee (while still paying him).

On Southgate as a manager, I broadly like him as England manager but international football is so different from club football and I think it will really expose his biggest weaknesses as a manager and not really compliment his strengths. Specifically his lack of tactical flexibility and ability to impact games with changes while no one will really care that much about how he carries himself with dignity and seems to impart that on his team. When you're a club manager you're not really representing anything bigger/embodying and broader principles, so why would people care that much.

Our options? If man united decided they didn’t want Ashworth I imagine he would rot on gardening leave and go at the end of his contract.