Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

Just now, Decky said:

Obviously you can’t keep someone in a job they don’t want to be in but are there no safeguards for us with regards to him joining a rival? Ashworth is at the centre of many multimillion pound deals here in the past and future, knows all our inner workings and plans going forward but he’s allowed to stick two fingers up at us and take it all to Man Utd? 

That's what the gardening leave is for.

13 minutes ago, Decky said:

Obviously you can’t keep someone in a job they don’t want to be in but are there no safeguards for us with regards to him joining a rival? Ashworth is at the centre of many multimillion pound deals here in the past and future, knows all our inner workings and plans going forward but he’s allowed to stick two fingers up at us and take it all to Man Utd? 

There's no way we don’t protect ourselves the same way Brighton did when he moved to us "IF" he moves. I have said this on multiple occasions, even if he does move, it won’t be until September after a period of gardening leave. Can Manchester United have another summer where they don’t have a proper plan? They need someone in place NOW, so that ETH isn’t chasing overpriced Ajax players again all summer

50 minutes ago, TBG said:

Need the club come out and say they won't allow Bruno to follow him to Man Utd.

Need them to come out, NOW

He wouldn't get on. 5th choice CM after Scott McDominate. 

9 hours ago, Beth said:

I'm sure he would be happy to stay here but the fact is he's pretty much strangled in what he can do due to FFP. Yes Man U have made some shit signings recently, but they still have saleable home grown assets in the likes of Greenwood, McTomminay and perhaps even Rashford, whos sales would open up the door for big money signings. We have basically Longstaff and that's it.

Can't understate how much this matters. We might eventually be the club everyone wants to aspire to, but while FFP is in place, we are a few years off at least. Even then it would take some movement in how FFP is applied to allow other clubs to catch up to the cartel. Ashworth is obviously good at his job, we'll just have to find someone who is of the same calibre, hopefully better.

4 hours ago, FloydianMag said:

Our way to the top is being blocked at every turn, not just by FFP but now more onerous FMV rules to block sponsorship deals. If we find loopholes you can bet your life the cartel clubs will shut those down by bringing in more rules. They don’t want a powerful NUFC.

Terrifies them! 

2 minutes ago, Chicken Dancer said:

We should give that Edwards whatever package he wants if Ashworth leaves.

Though, given he turned down a return to Liverpool and probably Man Utd, I'd be shocked.

Saving the best ‘till last! 

I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t informed the club of his desire to move and is supporting the club in securing a replacement.

I don’t think he has had much of an impact here but from what the Athletic have said about his time here, which all fall outside of things included for FFP, you would think it is going to be more difficult for him to have an impact at Man Utd, based on them having all of those things far superior than us anyway (academy, training facilities, women’s team) yet not have the financial leeway for improvements.

Being honest you can see the appeal of being DoF/Sporting Director at a club like Man U and there's no point denying it. They're still one of the biggest teams on the planet and running the football side of things is always going to appeal to any ambitious bloke in that field. All we can do is thank him for what he's done (not sure exactly what that is as of yet) and replace him with someone just as good, if not better. No point being mardy about it, he left Brighton for us in a similar manner and he's taking another step up again going to Man U. Not going to wish him luck as he's going to one of the clubs we're trying to catch but it's nothing personal, it's a blow but these things happen

Whoever our 1st team manager is I wouldn’t want them choosing the person who should really be above them in the pecking order. That just makes sense for any sporting operation. Just responding to (probably) baseless rumours 😉

“He has lived his life at nicely-run teams that people like. Now he’s gone to possibly the most-hated club within football and it will be hard for him to get cheap deals done,” the former colleague said before he joined Newcastle. “Everyone knows how much money they have and everyone will want to do him over; it’s not somewhere he’s been before.”

Regardless, Newcastle’s owners certainly saw Ashworth as the sporting director they needed to mastermind their St James’ Park revolution, and now Manchester United’s do too.

^from the athletic. 

^^ first off, fuck you, whoever said that to the athletic. "possibly the most-hated club within football" "everyone knows how much money they have" 

^^^ remember when we were owned by a guy who drained the lifeblood of a city? did anyone care then? remember when he made a mockery of our stadium with his logos? did the culture and sport government folks give a single fuck? remember when he relegated us multiple times with negligent decisions? did anyone care to question why this man is in football? and now because our club is owned by PIF, a company nobody cared about until they got into football, we're suddenly having to still hear how hated we are? have we made any vanity signings? have we broken any rules selling fringe to Saudi for massive premiums? are we signing above market sponsorship deals and behaving like anything other than a club operating within its means? FUCK OFF.

19 minutes ago, midds said:

Being honest you can see the appeal of being DoF/Sporting Director at a club like Man U and there's no point denying it. They're still one of the biggest teams on the planet and running the football side of things is always going to appeal to any ambitious bloke in that field. All we can do is thank him for what he's done (not sure exactly what that is as of yet) and replace him with someone just as good, if not better. No point being mardy about it, he left Brighton for us in a similar manner and he's taking another step up again going to Man U. Not going to wish him luck as he's going to one of the clubs we're trying to catch but it's nothing personal, it's a blow but these things happen

I’m not so sure about that though.

I said earlier in this thread, it’s alright going to Man Utd with big plans, but Man Utd aren’t going to be building up players who need to develop. Their fans now demand the big stars, they don’t care that kid A from some unknown French club will be mint in 5 years time, they will want Mbappe now, then kid A in 5 years time.

The owners, especially the Glazers if they hang around will want that as well. Big names sell shirts, they get the tourists coming through the gate instead of going 5 miles across the city of Manchester. That’s why Ronaldo came back.

Also from my point of view, the very best job he’ll do at Man Utd is re-establish the status quo that we have had since the 50’-60’s.

At Newcastle he could change the face of football. 

16 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I’m not so sure about that though.

I said earlier in this thread, it’s alright going to Man Utd with big plans, but Man Utd aren’t going to be building up players who need to develop. Their fans now demand the big stars, they don’t care that kid A from some unknown French club will be mint in 5 years time, they will want Mbappe now, then kid A in 5 years time.

The owners, especially the Glazers if they hang around will want that as well. Big names sell shirts, they get the tourists coming through the gate instead of going 5 miles across the city of Manchester. That’s why Ronaldo came back.

Also from my point of view, the very best job he’ll do at Man Utd is re-establish the status quo that we have had since the 50’-60’s.

At Newcastle he could change the face of football. 

He's a Sporting Director at the end of the day, those guys do their work behind the scenes, it's not like he's going to get carried on fans shoulders should we ever see the glory days. It's usually the players or the manager who go on to become legends. He's at a great job right now, Man U is probably one of the two or three which might appeal more if his ambition is to run things at the very top.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t informed the club of his desire to move and is supporting the club in securing a replacement.

I don’t think he has had much of an impact here but from what the Athletic have said about his time here, which all fall outside of things included for FFP, you would think it is going to be more difficult for him to have an impact at Man Utd, based on them having all of those things far superior than us anyway (academy, training facilities, women’s team) yet not have the financial leeway for improvements.

As I understand it, all that infrastructural stuff at Man U is relatively shambolic nowadays having not really been invested in since the mid-2000s.