Dan Ashworth (on gardening leave)

Rich

I wonder if because of the Tonali cock up Ashworth was hauled over the coals, something he wouldn't like, or even pressured into leaving. I doubt if the Saudi owners would be best pleased with how this deal was put together. Add to that the fact that Ratccliffe is allegedly a big buddy of his

On 15/02/2024 at 23:20, Mattoon said:

I think this is a good explanation of what he's best at and where we're at with him:

This video explains it well..

Ignoring thay they've never once included Ashworth in the Tweet, as it goes against the narrative I'm forming, but it's quite telling that Ashworth isn't included in the usual match day Tweet.

15 minutes ago, TBG said:

Ignoring thay they've never once included Ashworth in the Tweet, as it goes against the narrative I'm forming, but it's quite telling that Ashworth isn't included in the usual match day Tweet.

And from this, Ashworth might now be a mole :eek:

I felt that Eddie had looked a bit more tense over the last few weeks. I'd attributed it to the poor run of results and the criticism that was coming his way (more from the media than the supporters, I think) Now I wonder if the Ashworth situation was playing on his mind. Knowing that any conversation that he had with Ashworth might be used for the benefit of a rival club a short time afterwards is a difficult position to be in. No wonder he wants it resolved quickly.

As he says himself, he very much believes in the value of a long-term commitment. It's how he's handled his own career, apart from that brief hiatus with Burnley. This will be disappointing for him.

On the related issue, I'm not sure how things will work out for Ashworth. The structure at Man U is very unusual, and in any event, is there much wrong with the Man U youth set up? Genuine question. With these top clubs, you are never going to get more than 2 or 3 players into the first team, and they've done that with Garnacho and Mainoo. The main problem is instability in the first team, with players and managers being replaced with big fees by others who aren't any better.

Edited by Cronky

11 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

Talking about this cunt on SSN now. 

Aye sky are drooling over it.......surprised they haven't got a ticker tape banner at bottom of screen with some sort of countdown.. bunch of fannies.

Just now, Bally21 said:

Aye sky are drooling over it.......surprised they haven't got a ticker tape banner at bottom of screen with some sort of countdown.. bunch of fannies.

Sky need something after all their Transfer Deadline Day was fucked this year.

42 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

This seems to have gotten more coverage than Man Utd getting the bloke from City.

Are Man U playing this weekend?

4 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Aye he was class for a period, couldn't believe we got soemone as good as him as part of a 7 mil transfer, given 7 mil was a lot back then and he was probably worth 2-3 himself.

Erik Nevland... reminds me of the old Premier Manager games where he'd always be on the transfer list at the start of the game.

Have I imagined this, didn’t Ferguson know he had a severe gambling problem and didn’t like his attitude. Remember when shearer sparked him out. 

hindsight and from snippets here there  always suggested they wanted rid. 

7 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Why?

Just reading into comments and the bits leaked to the press.

If Man Utd was a done deal why bother mentioning that he didn’t have the amount of control that he expected. And then why would Howe mention the transfer policy remaining under his control.

It’s not to say that they don’t get on, but am guessing Amanda Staveley was the reason behind Howe’s new contract and she probably doesn’t have the same emotional connection with Ashworth.

Howe hasn’t included him in his “inner circle” and although they get on professionally maybe Ashworth doesn’t feel Howe is the man to move things forward according to his blueprint.

Howe has shown to be quite stubborn this season regarding things that aren’t working well.

Also, if Man Utd was a done deal, why bother attending the game today? Doesn’t make sense.. I saw it more of a sitting over Howe’s shoulder and as far as the game went.. he didn’t exactly impress today.

On 14/02/2024 at 21:56, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, it’s the Busby Babes’ success and then Munich which is the genesis of it.  Sympathy turned to support.  Before that, Man Utd were just another club which pulled big crowds (though not the biggest)

That makes sense and explains a lot actually. Forgive my ignorance it makes perfect sense.

8 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

Not saying this is what’s happening but I wouldn’t be shocked if Howe is gone before Ashworth.

So Howe gets sacked this week. You wouldn’t be shocked if that happens?

:spit:

To be fair if we do appoint a new Director, say Edwards, he might have his own preference / connection of manager. This might really affect Howe’s position